PDA

View Full Version : United States vs Macedonian

Anav
12-04-2011, 10:55
United States (1797)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
United States vs Macedonian
Both ships were immediately cleared for action and commenced maneuvers at 0900. Captain Carden elected not to risk crossing the bows of United States to rake her, but chose instead to haul closer to the wind on a parallel course with the American vessel. For his part, Decatur intended to engage Macedonian from fairly long range, where his 24 pounders (11 kg) would have the advantage over the 18 pounders (8 kg) of the British.
The actual battle developed according to Decatur's plan. United States began the action at 0920 by firing an inaccurate broadside at Macedonian. This was answered immediately by the British vessel, bringing down a small spar of United States. Decatur's next broadside destroyed Macedonian's mizzen top mast, letting her driver gaff fall and so giving the advantage in maneuver to the American frigate. United States next took up position off Macedonian's quarter and proceeded to riddle her with shot. By noon, Macedonian was a dismasted hulk and was forced to surrender. She had suffered 104 casualties against 12 in United States, which emerged from the battle relatively unscathed.
The two ships lay alongside each other for over two weeks while Macedonian was repaired sufficiently to sail. United States and her prize entered New York Harbor on 4 December amid jubilation over the victory. Captain Decatur and his crew were received with praise from both Congress and President James Madison.
Aftermath
Macedonian was subsequently purchased by the United States Navy, repaired, and placed in service. After repairs, United States — accompanied by USS Macedonian and the sloop Hornet—sailed from New York on 24 May 1813. On 1 June, the three vessels were driven into New London, Connecticut, by a powerful British squadron, and United States and Macedonian were kept blocked there until the end of the war. Hornet managed to slip through the blockade on 14 November 1814 and escape to sea.
Decatur was transferred to the frigate President in the spring of 1814, and he took the officers and crew of United States with him to his new command.

The Cowman
12-04-2011, 19:58
Awesome. I love this stuff!

Capt P
12-07-2011, 15:21
The history channel has a show called Dogfights which I love. Maybe we could make a request that they do a series about naval combat from the Nepolanic Wars. Would be awesome with the graphics they now have.

Bligh
12-08-2011, 07:49
Very interesting Steve. I knew that we god a good beating from the US. Navy, but non of the details. That was very enlightening, and I shall endevour not to get my Frigate into a similar position.
Bligh.