PDA

View Full Version : Hobbies other than AoS

CHolgren
04-21-2013, 12:13
What are your other hobbies/interests AoS aside?

I'm a home brewer as well, been at it for just over a year. My best brews that have had the biggest buzz:sly:are a Belgian Wit, and Scottish Wee Heavy.

I wood carve Christmas ornaments in the colder months to keep myself busy.

Gaming, more board games than table top miniatures, occupies most of my time with my boys.

Sound off on what floats your boat:happy:

csadn
04-21-2013, 13:41
I watch auto racing -- I'd be driving, but money and eyesight conspire against me.

CHolgren
04-21-2013, 15:16
I watch auto racing -- I'd be driving, but money and eyesight conspire against me.My youngest loves NASCAR, his boy Kyle Busch didn't do so well today.

Gunner
04-21-2013, 16:35
I like so many things I don't know where to start, but I will.

1. Cowboy Fast Draw (CFDA).
2. Drinking beer.:beer:
3. Target Archery.
4. Drinking beer.:beer:
5. Poker.
6. Drinking beer.:beer:
7.Shooting Pool.
8.Drinking beer.:beer:
I could go on to 50 without breaking a sweat, but I don't want to hog the site.

Diamondback
04-21-2013, 17:11
Competitive shooter--usually whatever my range buddies from the local Sheriff's Department are doing that day, as long as it can be done with a 5"-barrel M1911A1.

Lots of aviation history... I kinda drifted over from WGF/S.

Once in a long while I build traditional scale models, and some computer gaming--mostly older stuff, but I'm just installing the Heart of the Swarm expansion for StarCraft II as I type.

CHolgren
04-21-2013, 17:46
Competitive shooter--usually whatever my range buddies from the local Sheriff's Department are doing that day, as long as it can be done with a 5"-barrel M1911A1.

Lots of aviation history... I kinda drifted over from WGF/S.

Once in a long while I build traditional scale models, and some computer gaming--mostly older stuff, but I'm just installing the Heart of the Swarm expansion for StarCraft II as I type.My older son just got HotS he and his buddies go online for an adventure quite a bit.

CHolgren
04-21-2013, 17:51
Here's a picture of the fruit of my labors. French farmhouse saison named "La Petite Orange Blanche". This one goes down real easy. Finished brewing an American wheat that yesterday that I'll add some peach puree into the secondary fermentor and call "Fuzzy Navel Wheat"

7eat51
04-21-2013, 17:52
My initials are EAT. That sums up a good portion of my interests and hobbies.

Being with friends and family, so I do a lot of different things based on what others enjoy.

Film, especially Italian neorealism.

CHolgren
04-21-2013, 18:11
My initials are EAT. That sums up a good portion of my interests and hobbies.

Being with friends and family, so I do a lot of different things based on what others enjoy.

Film, especially Italian neorealism.
That's a bit deep for me. I'm a Neurobiologist, Research, for the time being, I try to make sure my hobbies/interests don't hurt my head anymore than my work does.

Gunner
04-21-2013, 18:57
Here's a picture of the fruit of my labors. French farmhouse saison named "La Petite Orange Blanche". This one goes down real easy. Finished brewing an American wheat that yesterday that I'll add some peach puree into the secondary fermentor and call "Fuzzy Navel Wheat"

Ah! If you turn that glass around I'll bet the logo says Sam Adams, my favorite. Am I right or wrong.

7eat51
04-21-2013, 19:12
I'm a Neurobiologist, Research,

Seriously? If so, I am interested in hearing more. I am embarking on some research on the intersection of neuroscience and character development, particularly the cultivation of virtues via habits and brain rewiring.

Berthier
04-21-2013, 20:07
Seriously? If so, I am interested in hearing more. I am embarking on some research on the intersection of neuroscience and character development, particularly the cultivation of virtues via habits and brain rewiring.

Interesting stuff, I work as an Optometrist and my partner here is what is known as a Behavioural Optometrist (awful term, really misleading) which deals with the visual/sensory processing problems that can inhibit the maximisation of learning capacity. It looks at how visual development (with other sensory inputs auditory, aural, propioceptive etc) has an impact on educational performance among other things, particularly learning to read and ways to deal with this.

My own non AoS and non work interests include
AFL - Australian football, not that poor excuse for a man's game you play in the US with helmets and padding :takecover:
Computer wargames (a lot from Matrix Games- WW2, Napoleonic whatever) and board games via Cyberboard (no need to leave the game set up and play when you have the time)
Historical reading..big library of books (1700+) heavy emphasis on Napoleonic and WW2 and WW1 but pretty much anything that grabs my fancy
Techno thrillers - chill out time, currently reading Invasion Colorado, the third in a series set in the future dominated by China
Board wargame collector with an emphasis on SPI product

Coyote
04-21-2013, 20:08

Nice looking beer. Looks a bit like a German Weiss and I'm guessing with the citrus it's probably not too far off from that in flavor. Although, having lived in the south, I'm also a bit curious about clear spirits which are often served in Mason jars (right, center).
:g&t:

Coyote
04-21-2013, 20:38
A lot of shooters here and some gun enthusiasts, too.
:wink:

I've been blessed with A.D.D. so I could go on and on with hobbies I've attempted over the years. Having a family now, I try to limit my interests these days. Like some of you I do a bit of competitive shooting. I'm a pheasant hunter so mostly trap, skeet and sporting clays to stay sharp for the fall. I've been doing 3D archery the last four years, but may have to reconsider that hobby as the body is starting to show its mileage.

When I can't make it to the range, carving up digital zombies with a chainsaw on the PC does a fine job of exercising those demons from the day job.

Gunner
04-21-2013, 21:43
[QUOTE= I've been blessed with A.D.D. .[/QUOTE]

Speaking of A.D.D.

Coyote
04-21-2013, 22:04
Speaking of A.D.D.

Keep drinking, it'll come to you.

I've known a lot of USN folks with similar ink on their arms. A lot of them went by "Gunner," too. Were you a real swabby in a past life?

Gunner
04-21-2013, 22:23
That's the plan.
U.S.M.C.

7eat51
04-21-2013, 22:31
7.Shooting Pool.

Any particular game? I used to shoot a bit of 14.1 pocket billiards - favorite game in my late teens and early twenties.

Andy Blozinski
04-21-2013, 23:02
Here I am asleep on the back deck of a StuG IIIG:
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o9/Pollock1939/3c05068b-704f-45dc-aca9-586a4947e3c2_zps608f0d8f.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/Pollock1939/media/3c05068b-704f-45dc-aca9-586a4947e3c2_zps608f0d8f.jpg.html)

Gunner
04-21-2013, 23:04
Any particular game? I used to shoot a bit of 14.1 pocket billiards - favorite game in my late teens and early twenties.

Mostly APA 8-ball.

If memory serves, in my youth 50 years ago, I used to shoot in a poolroom on or near Grand Ave. & Harlem Ave. in Chicago.

Gunner
04-21-2013, 23:09
Here I am asleep on the back deck of a StuG IIIG:
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o9/Pollock1939/3c05068b-704f-45dc-aca9-586a4947e3c2_zps608f0d8f.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/Pollock1939/media/3c05068b-704f-45dc-aca9-586a4947e3c2_zps608f0d8f.jpg.html)

What's a Pole doing in a StuG (besides sleeping)?

7eat51
04-21-2013, 23:23
Mostly APA 8-ball.

If memory serves, in my youth 50 years ago, I used to shoot in a poolroom on or near Grand Ave. & Harlem Ave. in Chicago.

I was just at a wonderful Italian bakery this week a couple blocks north of Grand & Harlem with a new member of the Aerodrome. Wonderful Genovese cannoli.

I used to shoot in a poolroom in Oak Park, a bit south on Harlem.

7eat51
04-21-2013, 23:33
Interesting stuff, I work as an Optometrist and my partner here is what is known as a Behavioural Optometrist (awful term, really misleading) which deals with the visual/sensory processing problems that can inhibit the maximisation of learning capacity. It looks at how visual development (with other sensory inputs auditory, aural, propioceptive etc) has an impact on educational performance among other things, particularly learning to read and ways to deal with this.

AFL - Australian football, not that poor excuse for a man's game you play in the US with helmets and padding :takecover:
Computer wargames (a lot from Matrix Games- WW2, Napoleonic whatever) and board games via Cyberboard (no need to leave the game set up and play when you have the time)
Historical reading..big library of books (1700+) heavy emphasis on Napoleonic and WW2 and WW1 but pretty much anything that grabs my fancy
Techno thrillers - chill out time, currently reading Invasion Colorado, the third in a series set in the future dominated by China
Board wargame collector with an emphasis on SPI product

I first became interested in neuroscience a few years ago when reading on emotional intelligence for a course I was teaching. I saw potential connections with my study of virtue ethics. I now have the time to begin some projects, and in addition to the one I previously mentioned, I am researching the use of roleplaying games in character development. I hope by this time next year, I will be able to take some students and adults through a year-long campaign in Pathfinder in which the virtues and their cultivation will play a dominant role.

So you're reading a book about a future under Chinese domination. This Tuesday, I celebrate 19 years of marriage to my lovely Chinese wife.

Berthier
04-22-2013, 00:35
I first became interested in neuroscience a few years ago when reading on emotional intelligence for a course I was teaching. I saw potential connections with my study of virtue ethics. I now have the time to begin some projects, and in addition to the one I previously mentioned, I am researching the use of roleplaying games in character development. I hope by this time next year, I will be able to take some students and adults through a year-long campaign in Pathfinder in which the virtues and their cultivation will play a dominant role.

So you're reading a book about a future under Chinese domination. This Tuesday, I celebrate 19 years of marriage to my lovely Chinese wife.

So you already know everything there is to know about being dominated....:happy::takecover:

Coog
04-22-2013, 00:45

The 1911...my favorite also.

Gunner
04-22-2013, 01:59
I know I'm probably in the minority but I prefer the 1911 Gold Cup over the Glock.

My favorite is the Single action Ruger Vaquero in 45LC.

CHolgren
04-22-2013, 05:31
Nice looking beer. Looks a bit like a German Weiss and I'm guessing with the citrus it's probably not too far off from that in flavor. Although, having lived in the south, I'm also a bit curious about clear spirits which are often served in Mason jars (right, center).
:g&t:that's actually a density experiment for my youngests science class. We have a new distillery the next town over they make a good white lightening though.

CHolgren
04-22-2013, 05:38

Do you teach at Illinois State?

CHolgren
04-22-2013, 05:57
Ah! If you turn that glass around I'll bet the logo says Sam Adams, my favorite. Am I right or wrong.

You would be correct. It's a great glass for anything.

Coyote
04-22-2013, 06:31
That's the plan.
U.S.M.C.

Looking at the tattoo, I was going to guess you were one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. If you'd called yourself "Gunny" instead of "Gunner," I would have for sure. I spent the first half my life living on Navy bases and only ever seen forearm ink like that on Sailors and Marines. I was neither, but I trained a lot of the former in my later years. I think you guys all get your ink from the same shop in the Phillippines.

Coyote
04-22-2013, 06:34
that's actually a density experiment for my youngests science class. We have a new distillery the next town over they make a good white lightening though.

"Density experiment." Ok, Ill play along. Gotta keep those revenuers guessing. :wink::wink:

Coyote
04-22-2013, 06:36
Hey, look at that. I just leveled up.

Coyote
04-22-2013, 06:38
I used to shoot in a poolroom in Oak Park, a bit south on Harlem.

I used to play "cue stick in the center pocket" with a girl from Oak Park. Ah, good times. Hope she wasn't your sister.:takecover:

Coog
04-22-2013, 06:40
Hey, look at that. I just leveled up.

Congratulations! You have got your sea legs and no longer a landman.

Coog
04-22-2013, 06:43
I know I'm probably in the minority but I prefer the 1911 Gold Cup over the Glock.

My favorite is the Single action Ruger Vaquero in 45LC.

Never have been a fan of the Glock myself.

Coyote
04-22-2013, 06:55
Thanks, Coog. Although, you may have gathered from some of my posts, I'm no "Ordinary" seaman.

I'm a BIG fan of both the Glock and the 1911. I like the Rugers, too, but never owned one myself. I'm partial to the sweet sound of the "click, click, click, click" when you draw the hammer of a Colt. I started getting into black powder these last few years and would love to add a nice 1861 Navy model to my collection.

Beowulf03809
04-22-2013, 09:05
In addition to my SOG anticipation, I play three other miniature wargames: Lord of the Rings, Flames of War, and XWing. I enjoy numerous boardgames as well and am a bit of a pack-rat on such things.

I've been an out-of-the-closet geek since the mid-80s. My job has me spending 50+ hours a week running around inside hundreds of Unix and Linux servers spread across the country troubleshooting, configuring, tuning and enhancing middleware technologies and our apps running on them. I jump at every opportunity to learn the new technologies and train my coworkers, love writing code (but limited in experience here), and generally take on more than I should just because some of it looks fun or challenging. I've been a personal Linux user since the mid-90s and our household has been converted over for about 5 years now. My kids recognize Tux on sight.

In the Real World I enjoy outdoor activities, especially hiking and general exploring. Even more so as the kids are getting older and able to go farther and really appreciate it with us.

I used to also own a LR Discovery and do off roading with our local Rover Club. Budget and time restrictions had me sell the truck several years back, but I hope to pick up a Series II or Series III in another couple years and get back into it. Again, now that the kids are older these sort of things can become real nice family-time activities and that makes it easier to justify.

:rum:

Regarding shooting...I stand at a towering 5'6" and am left handed. Between those two physical traits I have never found the Glock comfortable to shoot. Maybe it was just the model. I'm not a serious connoisseur but enjoyed target shooting while in the USAF. I had a Taurus 9mm (I was on a budget! :moneygone: ) and .38 but my friends had a large variety so we did a lot of sharing when we went out and it was always great fun. I managed to earn my Marksmanship ribbon on the M16 and missed it by only one shot on the .38, but that was all back in my youth. My eyes and arms aren't as sharp or steady any more. But that's why they have Full Auto.

I enjoy the discussion of ye' brewers out here. When we relocate in a year or two we plan on setting up a small project ourselves. I got a love of German beers after a couple trips over there and would love to do some of my own. So keep those chats up! :beer:

Cmmdre
04-22-2013, 09:27
That's the plan.
U.S.M.C.

Thank you for your service to our country Ed. :salute:

Gunner
04-22-2013, 11:07
[QUOTE=Coyote;11926] I'm partial to the sweet sound of the "click, click, click, click" when you draw the hammer of a Colt. QUOTE]

You know what they say about Colt "click, click, click, click's", you need to buy two, one to use and one for parts. At least that's true in my case. I'm sending my SAA back to the factory for the third time.

7eat51
04-22-2013, 12:07
I play three other miniature wargames: Lord of the Rings

How do you like this game? I have toyed around about it, but I don't know anyone who has played it.

7eat51
04-22-2013, 12:11
Do you teach at Illinois State?

No. I teach at a small private college about 30 minutes away, but reside in Bloomington. After 17 years, I still can't call Bloomington home; that will always be Chicago. I attended ISU for my MBA; made some great friends there - profs and students.

Coyote
04-22-2013, 12:46
[QUOTE=Coyote;11926] I'm partial to the sweet sound of the "click, click, click, click" when you draw the hammer of a Colt. QUOTE]

You know what they say about Colt "click, click, click, click's", you need to buy two, one to use and one for parts. At least that's true in my case. I'm sending my SAA back to the factory for the third time.

I can't argue with you there. I've had some quality issues with some original colt semi-autos. On the SASS circuit, how do the Uberti knock-offs fair? I've had a lot of good luck with Beretta shotguns so I've been leaning Uberti for the Navy model.

CHolgren
04-22-2013, 12:48
No. I teach at a small private college about 30 minutes away, but reside in Bloomington. After 17 years, I still can't call Bloomington home; that will always be Chicago. I attended ISU for my MBA; made some great friends there - profs and students.
I feel the same after 20years in Illinois, I always say I grew up in Montana.

Gunner
04-22-2013, 13:13
[QUOTE=Gunner;11945]

On the SASS circuit,

I am also a SASS member, SASS18551 Life. But for the last four years I've been shooting Cowboy Fast Draw (CFDA).
The next time I visit the Windy City I'll PM you and see if we can get together for a shoot with your club.

Coyote
04-22-2013, 14:24
I've never shot SASS. My club does cowboy action one weekend a month, May through November. It looks like a lot of fun, but I'm anchored by a family now. I try to limit my shooting to whatever gets me in shape for the hunting season. Still, there's plenty of other shooting going on up here if you're ever up this way. I've also been known to wet a line or two. Don't tell anyone, but I have it on good authority that there's a HUGE lake full of fish in these parts. It's a well-kept secret, but I can get you in. I know a guy.

Beowulf03809
04-22-2013, 14:43
How do you like this game? I have toyed around about it, but I don't know anyone who has played it.

I enjoy GW's Strategy Battle Game (SBG) version very much. It did a great job, IMO, capturing the flavor of the stories and films. With the Hobbit release they did a minor overhaul of the rules and though I have a few minor gripes about the changes I find most of them reasonable. I still have to get a lot more table time with the changes though to really be sure.

They also release a large-scale-battle version called War of the Ring a couple years back. It is fun in its own way but deviates too much from the feeling of Middle Earth for me to be totally hooked. Our group played it for a while and will probably play it again on occasion but it just doesn't nail Tolkien's work as closely as SBG.

GW being who they are though, we get some over-the-top creations and a little bit of stat-creep (not nearly as bad as many of their other games from my understanding). But the nail in the coffin for me lately has been the massive price increases. I'm used to a little increase per year but at this point plastic rank-and-file troops are costing more than 2x what they were perhaps 3 years ago, and Hero troops are even worse. I can reasonably see $20 or so for an SOG ship which also includes the double sided Ship Log, base, card, etc. Especially in a game where you may only have a couple models on the table at a time. But $20+ for a single 28mm figure, unpainted, is not attractive. Add in the fact that you need probably 3-5 of them in a typical army, and another $60 - $90 for the cheapest foot soldier models and they lost me as a customer. Thankfully I have a couple hundred models in backlog to be painted in addition to my forces already complete. There is also usually a good second hand market out there as people sell off collections when they shift hobbies.

If you already have some armies collected, or you catch some good deals on ebay, or you happen to be one of the lucky ones that can absorb the costs without much burden, then I would recommend the game for anyone with an interest in Tolkien's worlds and the film adaptations. But for 'struggling hobbiests' I would have to caution you on the potential investment.

Diamondback
04-22-2013, 14:57
Regarding shooting...I stand at a towering 5'6" and am left handed. Between those two physical traits I have never found the Glock comfortable to shoot. Maybe it was just the model. I'm not a serious connoisseur but enjoyed target shooting while in the USAF. I had a Taurus 9mm (I was on a budget! :moneygone: ) and .38 but my friends had a large variety so we did a lot of sharing when we went out and it was always great fun. I managed to earn my Marksmanship ribbon on the M16 and missed it by only one shot on the .38, but that was all back in my youth. My eyes and arms aren't as sharp or steady any more. But that's why they have Full Auto.
Same height, same hand--you might look at a Rock Island or a Springfield GI 1911, it you're willing to accept the higher level of responsibility and requirements that come with single-action autoloader Cocked & Locked. Upgrade the sights to something like Novaks and you might be set.

Really, the ONLY thing a 1911 needs for the southpaw is an ambi safety--some of us can work mag releases and slide-stops better with our trigger fingers than righthanders with thumbs, AND it has the added advantage of not weakening grip. (Less important on the range, but a lot of my observations come from being trained as a defensive shooter first and foremost.)

OmegaLazarus
04-22-2013, 15:02
For me - Learning

Reading. I generally have a fiction and a non-fiction going at all times.

Shooting - Qual'ed expert in every weapon system as an MP. My dad started me with my first rifle when I was nine and had me shooting 1/2" red beads at 50m with iron sights.

I've kept that up with an okay few arms.

MN-44 carbine,
Browning A-5 12
Luger (police issue)
S&W M&P 45compact/mil safety,
2 replica Rem New Army 44's,
ruger 10/22,
ruger Mk2,
Marlin 22 sa (the aforementioned first gun)

As Gunner is, I am a fan of the Vaquero (and Ruger in general), I owned a P94DC, 44 SuperBlackHawk, etc. but sold them to friends and family. My dad has one, so I don't need one. :)

Aside from reading and shooting, I love board games, and hate (but still play) 40k (IG, SM:DA, SoB), Paintball (really more of a memory, but I still own the equipment).

I also like to write (mainly poetry, short essays, and flash fiction)

CHolgren
04-22-2013, 17:42
Seriously? If so, I am interested in hearing more. I am embarking on some research on the intersection of neuroscience and character development, particularly the cultivation of virtues via habits and brain rewiring.Like I said it's for the time being. I did my undergrad in Biology/Psychology and wanted to go into developmental neurobiology, but the wife and I had kids earlier than planned and the time was never right to go back. Don't regret the time with my kids at all. I manage a Stroke/Parkinsons research lab, but I apply my skills to any project where there's money.

CHolgren
04-22-2013, 17:45

Board wargame collector with an emphasis on SPI productI spent two years working with an Ophthamologist on POAG. Interesting work, but the PI was difficult to work with to say the least.

Diamondback
04-22-2013, 17:49
No formal Psych degree here, but I have a Hard Knocks education in autism-spectrum issues myself. :)

csadn
04-22-2013, 18:31
What's a Pole doing in a StuG (besides sleeping)?

Beats being a Pole-march. ;)

Coyote
04-22-2013, 19:24
As Gunner is, I am a fan of the Vaquero (and Ruger in general), I owned a P94DC, 44 SuperBlackHawk, etc.

I like the Ruger's, too. I have a stainless 77/22 in .22. The trigger needs work, but I can center-punch a nickel at 100 yards with it. I love the blackhawk, too. good, solid guns with a silky action. A guy I work with blew the barrel off one. He blamed it on poor quality but I suspect he made a mistake on his hand loads. (He's sort of a dip$#!t)

7eat51
04-22-2013, 20:08
I enjoy GW's Strategy Battle Game (SBG) version very much...

Thanks Lawrence. You provided the type of info I need. If I were to pick up a LotR game, I definitely want the feel of Tolkien, otherwise I would go for any good fantasy mini game. I am considering one on KS that ends tomorrow - Myth http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1700755582/myth-0

It has been interesting watching this KS. I had not followed KSs before SoG, so I was a bit intrigued to see how Myth would go. Holy smoke. In the last two or three days, I think close to $200k was raised. Definitely a difference between fantasy and historical.

If I can find SBG at a reasonable price, I will probably pick it up. I will pass on War of the Rings. Thanks again.

OmegaLazarus
04-22-2013, 20:08
I like the Ruger's, too. I have a stainless 77/22 in .22. The trigger needs work, but I can center-punch a nickel at 100 yards with it. I love the blackhawk, too. good, solid guns with a silky action. A guy I work with blew the barrel off one. He blamed it on poor quality but I suspect he made a mistake on his hand loads. (He's sort of a dip$#!t)

Wow. Yeah, that is more likely. Ruger is one of the few handgun manufacturers whose modern revolvers are all rated +P+. No one else does that. Even my S&W is only rated +P

Nice 77/22, btw

7eat51
04-22-2013, 20:14
Like I said it's for the time being. I did my undergrad in Biology/Psychology and wanted to go into developmental neurobiology, but the wife and I had kids earlier than planned and the time was never right to go back. Don't regret the time with my kids at all. I manage a Stroke/Parkinsons research lab, but I apply my skills to any project where there's money.

It is hard doing graduate work while married or being a parent. I was a late comer to academics. In some ways it was good due to industry experience and maturity, but being an older student has not been without cost, especially while working full-time. Never regret placing family over graduate work. As nice as additional letters behind one's name can be, and the doors they might open, they can never compare to value of quality time with one's family.

I'll keep you abreast of my work. It would be fun to kibitz.

Coyote
04-22-2013, 20:42
Wow. Yeah, that is more likely. Ruger is one of the few handgun manufacturers whose modern revolvers are all rated +P+. No one else does that. Even my S&W is only rated +P

Nice 77/22, btw

I picked up an XL7 in 30-06 when they first came out. Outfitted with a Nikon scope it still cost less than a Tikka T3 and is every bit as accurate. My only complaint is not having a way to unload the magazine from the bottom.

Gunner
04-22-2013, 21:02

Nice 77/22, btw

The other benefit of a Ruger is, you can use it as a hammer and it still shoots:pistole: like it came out of the box.
Oh! Did I mention, I like Rugers:question:

Gunner
04-22-2013, 22:31

He probably used Bullseye thinking it was 2400. I almost did that 45 years ago. That would blow up a 9pdr.:cannon:

Coyote
04-23-2013, 06:38
He probably used Bullseye thinking it was 2400. I almost did that 45 years ago. That would blow up a 9pdr.:cannon:

I wouldn't put anything past this guy. He got the Blackhawk by trading off a S&W Model 29 that rattled when he held it. It was the second Model 29 he had that he said had "loosened up" on him.

OmegaLazarus
04-23-2013, 07:54
The other benefit of a Ruger is, you can use it as a hammer and it still shoots:pistole: like it came out of the box.
Oh! Did I mention, I like Rugers:question:

Don't cringe, but I've actually done that. One time after I moved to Texas, I needed to get something done in the new apt and couldn't find my tools. I used the Super BlackHawk as a hammer, just like they did for wanted posters long ago. It had the 10.5" barrel, so that made it easy.

The whole time I did it, I couldn't tell whether I was being authentic or disrespectful. I am from Tennessee, after all. Hey, at least I can say "Oh, a Super Blackhawk. I can drive nails with that thing, no scope."

DISCLAIMER: ALWAYS BE SURE THAT YOUR FIREARM IS UNLOADED AND DISABLED BEFORE BANGING AGAINST OTHER STUFF.

Cmmdre
04-23-2013, 07:58
[QUOTE}DISCLAIMER: ALWAYS BE SURE THAT YOUR FIREARM IS UNLOADED AND DISABLED BEFORE BANGING AGAINST OTHER STUFF.

Solid advice Japheth.

Avi
04-23-2013, 08:31
I would actually advice -
Always treat firearms as if they are loaded and ready to fire -
but maybe its just me supervising to many green sailors...:shootright::takecover::smack:

OmegaLazarus
04-23-2013, 10:11
but maybe its just me supervising to many green sailors...:shootright::takecover::smack:

Good rule for firarms. Great rule for women! :girlieangry::girlieangry::girlieangry::girlieangry:

Horatio Le Rêve
04-23-2013, 10:25
Quite the discussion already, but I'll dive in...

Let's see -- like Gunner, I am a Marine who loves the 45LC (and the 1911); just picked up a new, old style Ruger Vaquero. Something about those wheel guns... I do like Springfield's new XD line for a modern pistol.

I enjoy backpacking, but with being back in school (what is this with all of us going back to school later in life?), my main hobby right now is gaming. Just got into SAGA, and love the game -- down and dirty skirmish action in the Dark Ages. Dust Tactics is my go-to, and we have a pretty strong contingent here in Arizona. Android:Netrunner when I just want to throw down some cards.

Cheers!

7eat51
04-23-2013, 10:33
Welcome James. What are you studying?

When you have a chance, stop by the Welcome Aboard forum and introduce yourself there as well. It will let folks know you are here, and they will be happy to meet you.

Coog
04-23-2013, 10:37
Welcome to the forum James. From what I've read on it, I think I would really like SAGA as the 11th century is one of my favorite time periods with the Normans as my favorite warriors.

Horatio Le Rêve
04-23-2013, 10:54
Howdy!

I am currently employed with IBM as an information developer (CIS degree), but I am "coming about" and pursuing a Masters in Nursing.

Coog, like WoG and Sog, SAGA is a game, not a simulation, and captures the feel of the time and fighting style. The battle boards used for orders in innovative. Vikings and Irish for me!

Cheers!

DeRuyter
04-23-2013, 11:32
Welcome to the forum James. From what I've read on it, I think I would really like SAGA as the 11th century is one of my favorite time periods with the Normans as my favorite warriors.

A fun game indeed and you can play with as little as 25 figures in your warband. I like the way each faction is individualized with its' own battleboard. I'll take on Horatio's Vikings with my Normans! :wink:

Gunner
04-23-2013, 11:57
Quite the discussion already, but I'll dive in...

Let's see -- like Gunner, I am a Marine who loves the 45LC (and the 1911); just picked up a new, old style Ruger Vaquero. Something about those wheel guns... I do like Springfield's new XD line for a modern pistol.

I enjoy backpacking, but with being back in school (what is this with all of us going back to school later in life?), my main hobby right now is gaming. Just got into SAGA, and love the game -- down and dirty skirmish action in the Dark Ages. Dust Tactics is my go-to, and we have a pretty strong contingent here in Arizona. Android:Netrunner when I just want to throw down some cards.

Cheers!

Hi James. What part of Arizona do you hail from?
Never mind I found you on the other site.

Beowulf03809
04-23-2013, 12:04
I am currently employed with IBM as an information developer (CIS degree)

I live and breath by IBM products at work (WebSphere, Process Server, WODM, MQ, etc.). I've been asked a couple times by some IBMers I've had long term working relationships with about coming over and had always found it a very tempting idea. I hope your time with them was good.

but I am "coming about" and pursuing a Masters in Nursing.

More fulfilling than data, that's for sure. Of course, all I have on the line are some financials. Hope the career shift is smooth and all you are looking for!

:rum:

Horatio Le Rêve
04-23-2013, 12:15
A fun game indeed and you can play with as little as 25 figures in your warband. I like the way each faction is individualized with its' own battleboard. I'll take on Horatio's Vikings with my Normans! :wink:

Anytime you're out west you've got a game!

GreenLaborMike
04-23-2013, 12:52
Perhaps I am the outlier on this site, but I am a labor lawyer by trade, working for union representing federal employees. In my spare time, when I am not with my family, I enjoy board games and role-playing games. I've never played much in the way of miniatures games, except battletech back in the 1980's. I enjoy reading fiction and non-fiction of all sorts, and also watching movies.

Back in college and for a few years after, I was an avid rugby player, playing mostly lock/second-row, but my back has curtailed that passion recently. Lord, I miss that game!

This will be my first foray into war gaming, and I'm really excited to receive my copy of SGN. I'm hoping to recruit my son and daughter, but if that fails, I'll troll the flgs to find some players.

7eat51
04-23-2013, 13:06
Hey Michael, what RPGs do you play? I got back into gaming within the last two years via Pathfinder. I used to play D&D and AH and SPI wargames in the late 70s, early 80s, then took a 30 year hiatus. It is fun being back. I did play Battletech a couple of times with some of the guys in my shop when I was in the military - if memory serves me correctly, the minis were cardboard.

GreenLaborMike
04-23-2013, 13:45
My favorite rpg's are DnD 3.5 (I haven't tried pathfinder, although I've heard good things about it), Call of Cthulhu, Ars Magica, and for one-shot games, Paranoia is a hoot.

Battletech had cardboard figures in the core game, but my friends were hard-core and collected and painted the miniatures, and we played with those. Fun times, although I recall the games ran a bit slowly.

SGN represents a bit of a return to the gaming community for me. I get together with college buddies once a year, and we play games, but this will be my first new game that I (hope to) play year round.

7eat51
04-23-2013, 13:53
I have been told to think of Pathfinder as 3.75. I cannot express how impressed I am with the game design and support - modules, campaign settings, etc. Fortunately, the folks I play with are not rules-lawyers, no offense intended on the lawyer comment, nor is Pathfinder their life. I started running games as well, and it is a lot of fun.

Just picked up Arkham Horror and an expansion. I believe it is related to Cthulhu, even if only loosely. We have been enjoying cooperative games like Pandemic and Flash Point. It has been great because many friends who are not that into games thoroughly enjoy playing them. I am a bit amazed at how the gaming industry has developed since I stopped playing. Even traditional wargames has exploded. It is a good time to get back into playing.

GreenLaborMike
04-23-2013, 14:28
My understanding is that WotC sold the rights to 3.5 to Paizo Games, and they used that to publish Pathfinder. I'm glad to hear that Paizo has done such a good job of it. In fact, I've heard rumors that they now routinely outsell 4th edition DnD, which must be a huge embarrassment to WotC if true. I'm always partial to underdogs, and was none too pleased when Hasbro acquired WotC.

Arkham Horror is indeed based on the same fictional world of HP Lovecraft. I haven't played it yet, but as with Pathfinder, I have heard good things. Last year, I participated in the Kickstarter project for a Cthulhu campaign "Horror on the Orient Express" and hope to run it in the Victorian era, once I receive it. So much gaming to experience, so little time!

pward
04-23-2013, 14:43
I like to play Axis and Allies "War at Sea" miniature WWII naval game. An awesome game. WotC produced six booster/sets and now nothing. Maybe they will sell the rights to another interested company and we could see some additional models. Time will tell. Regardless W@S is fun as well as easy to learn and play

csadn
04-23-2013, 14:47

Rule One of safe weapons handling, really.

For those who don't know the others:

Rule Two: Verify the target area -- not just the target, but the area in front, behind, to either side, above, and below (is that backstop *really* going to stop a round -- or worse, spit it back?)

Rule Three: Finger off trigger until target is in sights.

Rule Four: Do not draw until you intend to shoot; do not shoot at anything you do not intend to destroy.

Gunner
04-23-2013, 15:02
Rule One of safe weapons handling, really.

For those who don't know the others:

Rule Two: Verify the target area -- not just the target, but the area in front, behind, to either side, above, and below (is that backstop *really* going to stop a round -- or worse, spit it back?)

Rule Three: Finger off trigger until target is in sights.

Rule Four: Do not draw until you intend to shoot; do not shoot at anything you do not intend to destroy.

The most important rule, #5 Control your adrenaline and hit what you aim at.

Beowulf03809
04-23-2013, 15:36
I did play Battletech a couple of times with some of the guys in my shop when I was in the military - if memory serves me correctly, the minis were cardboard.

They made nice metal ones too but I couldn't afford them. I do have several of the boxed expansions though (so a dozen maps of mountains, cities, etc. and several dozen various cardboard 'minis') and will probably pull them out soon to start playing with the young'uns. It was a fun game and we'd cover our entire floor of the spare room with the maps.

7eat51
04-23-2013, 16:33
My understanding is that WotC sold the rights to 3.5 to Paizo Games, and they used that to publish Pathfinder. I'm glad to hear that Paizo has done such a good job of it. In fact, I've heard rumors that they now routinely outsell 4th edition DnD, which must be a huge embarrassment to WotC if true. I'm always partial to underdogs, and was none too pleased when Hasbro acquired WotC.

Arkham Horror is indeed based on the same fictional world of HP Lovecraft. I haven't played it yet, but as with Pathfinder, I have heard good things. Last year, I participated in the Kickstarter project for a Cthulhu campaign "Horror on the Orient Express" and hope to run it in the Victorian era, once I receive it. So much gaming to experience, so little time!

Paizo has done an admirable job with Pathfinder. Their products have pretty good production value, and they have not meandered off into new directions with the game, such as D&D appears to have done and is doing.

Let us know how Horror on the Orient Express goes. That sounds promising. One of my favorite Poirot stories.

I guess I should add British Mystery as a non-AoS hobby.

They made nice metal ones too but I couldn't afford them. I do have several of the boxed expansions though (so a dozen maps of mountains, cities, etc. and several dozen various cardboard 'minis') and will probably pull them out soon to start playing with the young'uns. It was a fun game and we'd cover our entire floor of the spare room with the maps.

If memory serves me correctly, this game had broad appeal. The theme could draw folks; the tactics could draw folks; the ability to customize or enhance the robots, or whatever they were called, could draw folks. I don't remember too much of the game itself, as much as I remember we had a lot of fun playing it. I bought some of it, but since we played with a friend's stash, mine was seldom used. I gave it away when I parted with my war-game collection, some of which I have bought again on ebay for prices I would rather not think about. I should stop now, or I might find myself on ebay this evening.

Diamondback
04-23-2013, 16:50
Avi, do they teach Cooper's Four Rules (that being #1) in the IDF, or are you independently a student of the field? :)

pward
04-23-2013, 17:03
Are there any old Avalon Hill "Victory in the Pacific" players out there?

Coog
04-23-2013, 17:06

I've got a copy but haven't played it in a long time.

7eat51
04-23-2013, 17:14

Yes. I played it last year for the first time in years. Had a blast.

Do you have something in mind?

CHolgren
04-23-2013, 17:20
I have been told to think of Pathfinder as 3.75. I cannot express how impressed I am with the game design and support - modules, campaign settings, etc. Fortunately, the folks I play with are not rules-lawyers, no offense intended on the lawyer comment, nor is Pathfinder their life. I started running games as well, and it is a lot of fun.

Just picked up Arkham Horror and an expansion. I believe it is related to Cthulhu, even if only loosely. We have been enjoying cooperative games like Pandemic and Flash Point. It has been great because many friends who are not that into games thoroughly enjoy playing them. I am a bit amazed at how the gaming industry has developed since I stopped playing. Even traditional wargames has exploded. It is a good time to get back into playing.

Have you tried Sentinels of the Multiverse for a cooperative game? We have a lot of fun with it and a huge variety of people, places and things.

GreenLaborMike
04-23-2013, 17:29
Paizo has done an admirable job with Pathfinder. Their products have pretty good production value, and they have not meandered off into new directions with the game, such as D&D appears to have done and is doing.

Let us know how Horror on the Orient Express goes. That sounds promising. One of my favorite Poirot stories.

If memory serves me correctly, this game had broad appeal. The theme could draw folks; the tactics could draw folks; the ability to customize or enhance the robots, or whatever they were called, could draw folks. I don't remember too much of the game itself, as much as I remember we had a lot of fun playing it. I bought some of it, but since we played with a friend's stash, mine was seldom used. I gave it away when I parted with my war-game collection, some of which I have bought again on ebay for prices I would rather not think about. I should stop now, or I might find myself on ebay this evening.

If you are interested, here is the link on the KS project for "Horror on the Orient Express."

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/448333182/horror-on-the-orient-express-a-chaosium-publicatio

It's a re-boot of a campaign adventure that was published back in the 90's. It is nominally set in the 1920's, but the KS project will have supplemental material to run the game in different eras, and I really enjoy the Victorian era of the 1890's.

Battletech was a nifty game, if I recall. When I played, the emphasis in my group was on playing the "stock" Mechs, but I know there were rules to customize them for folks who enjoyed it. Not surprising that a number of the players in our group were ex-military who enjoyed wargaming, as it had that "feel" even though the setting was completely sci-fi.

And just so you know, Kickstarter has become something of my E-bay. I see projects that interest me, and I spend way too much money on them. Sigh.

7eat51
04-23-2013, 17:40
Have you tried Sentinels of the Multiverse for a cooperative game? We have a lot of fun with it and a huge variety of people, places and things.

Never heard of it, but I will check it out. Thanks.

I am impressed by some of the cooperative games we've played - very good mechanisms and replay-ability.

If you are interested, here is the link on the KS project for "Horror on the Orient Express."

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/448333182/horror-on-the-orient-express-a-chaosium-publicatio

It's a re-boot of a campaign adventure that was published back in the 90's. It is nominally set in the 1920's, but the KS project will have supplemental material to run the game in different eras, and I really enjoy the Victorian era of the 1890's.

Battletech was a nifty game, if I recall. When I played, the emphasis in my group was on playing the "stock" Mechs, but I know there were rules to customize them for folks who enjoyed it. Not surprising that a number of the players in our group were ex-military who enjoyed wargaming, as it had that "feel" even though the setting was completely sci-fi.

And just so you know, Kickstarter has become something of my E-bay. I see projects that interest me, and I spend way too much money on them. Sigh.

Thanks for the link.

I was just on KS and pledged for a game entitled Myth. The last few days have been crazy in terms of pledges. With 15 hours left, I finally pulled the trigger; figured with my luck, the internet would be down tomorrow or some such thing. I have delayed before when purchasing games only to regret it. Anyway, I guess there are worse vices than buying games to play with family and friends.

Coog
04-23-2013, 17:54
Myth looked interesting but with series 6 coming out for WOG and the SOG kickstarter, I had to pass on it for now.

7eat51
04-23-2013, 18:19
That's why I was on the fence. With all the activity the past 48 hours, at the $100 pledge level, one has access to all the stretch goals which now is around 100 extra minis, plus mats, etc. That's when the one little gamer on my shoulder said, "Pledge. Pledge. Pledge." What could I do. I am a victim

CHolgren
04-23-2013, 18:48
That's why I was on the fence. With all the activity the past 48 hours, at the $100 pledge level, one has access to all the stretch goals which now is around 100 extra minis, plus mats, etc. That's when the one little gamer on my shoulder said, "Pledge. Pledge. Pledge." What could I do. I am a victim

I was that way with Rivet Wars. A bit cartoony, but I need to find games that can be engaging enough for a 17 year old and simple and fast moving enough for an 8 year old both with ADHD.

CHolgren
04-23-2013, 18:50
So is anyone watching the series "Vikings" on the History Channel? If so what do you think?

Gunner
04-23-2013, 19:10
Just waiting to see how his brother betrays him.
I'm not that knowledgeable in Viking history. But I'm sure future postings will educate me.

CHolgren
04-23-2013, 19:32

Have you heard anything about "Letters from Whitechapel"? We've had some fun with it and it's semi-cooperative.

Cmmdre
04-23-2013, 19:33
So is anyone watching the series "Vikings" on the History Channel? If so what do you think?

This first season has been good so far. Much better than that reality stuff that the History Channel has been showing as of late. Glad they are returning to history.

7eat51
04-23-2013, 20:59

Have you heard anything about "Letters from Whitechapel"? We've had some fun with it and it's semi-cooperative.

I never heard of this game, but just checked it out on BGG. It looks intriguing. I sense another purchase coming. Thanks for the heads up.

This first season has been good so far. Much better than that reality stuff that the History Channel has been showing as of late. Glad they are returning to history.

I have debated about watching this show. I feared it would turn into the same soap-operatic drivel set in a historical time period in which history plays no real part. So I am curious, Paul, why you think it is good. The opinions of folks here will probably determine whether I watch it or not.

GreenLaborMike
04-23-2013, 21:47
I was that way with Rivet Wars. A bit cartoony, but I need to find games that can be engaging enough for a 17 year old and simple and fast moving enough for an 8 year old both with ADHD.

So is that a recommendation for Rivet Wars? I am looking for something fun for my 8 year old.

Cmmdre
04-23-2013, 23:04
I never heard of this game, but just checked it out on BGG. It looks intriguing. I sense another purchase coming. Thanks for the heads up.

I have debated about watching this show. I feared it would turn into the same soap-operatic drivel set in a historical time period in which history plays no real part. So I am curious, Paul, why you think it is good. The opinions of folks here will probably determine whether I watch it or not.

I like it because they incorporate inventions of the period such as a crude compass and a different ship design. Both of which helped cross open waters. I can see where you might be hesitant as was I. My wife talked me into it and I liked it. Sure there is drama, how else you going to get people like my wife. She'll fall asleep if it is just factual stuff, which I prefer. (Not her falling asleep but the facts) I also think it is good because it gets people who may not be interested in history watching something based in history and maybe, just maybe actually thinking about history too.

Berthier
04-24-2013, 00:45

It's possible to get medication to get rid of the little gamer on your soldier...if you want to.:hmmm:

Berthier
04-24-2013, 00:48
Battletech was also available as a collectible card game (maybe 15 years ago??) but by the third expansion they had broken the game with killer cards.

CHolgren
04-24-2013, 05:00
So is that a recommendation for Rivet Wars? I am looking for something fun for my 8 year old.

I think so. Rules seemed easy enough for the 8year old to follow, but there's strategy for my 17year old. Take a look at the info for the KS if it's available, but they have you tube clips for the rules explanation so you can make your own assessment.

7eat51
04-24-2013, 07:16
It's possible to get medication to get rid of the little gamer on your soldier...if you want to.:hmmm:

Why would I want to do that? :wink:

Actually, interacting with folks on the Anchorage and Aerodrome has increased my desire to game.

Coyote
04-24-2013, 07:38

I have a four y/o that finds Star Wars X-Wing from Fantasy Flight Games engaging enough. I like it because there are enough layers to the rules that you can customize the game to suit any age. I started my son with the basic "quick-start" rules they provide in the core set. Once he got used to those, I started introducing other rules, one at a time. Being 4 he has some trouble with the spacial aspects of the game, i.e. selecting the correct turn direction relative to his ship position. But he still has fun and he's learning. I'd expect an 8 y/o would probably handle it much better.

Fantasy Flight also has a simple strategy board game that we like to play. It's a bit cartoony and might not appeal to the 17 y/o (at first). It's called "Hey, That's My Fish." As an ADHD sufferer myself, I can tell you this is a good one for kids who have trouble focusing. The rules are simple, the game board is never the same any two times you play it, it's fast, and it all fits in a 6" x 6" x 1" inch box so it travels exceptionally well. On the surface it seems like a rather benign game, but the more we play it as a family, the more cut-throat the games seem to get.

Beowulf03809
04-24-2013, 07:46
My 10 and 8 year olds enjoy Star Wars XWing (as do I and several of my hobby shop buddies). My youngest, 5, helps me in play by rolling the dice and telling me what direction he things we should turn and how fast we should go but I then pick the appropriate move from that. My older two are good (my oldest gives me a run for my money in most games we play) and I wouldn't expect my youngest to be a match yet for them.

I hope to find SOG very similar in that it lets my children play and enjoy the game as a family.

Coyote
04-24-2013, 07:52

If you're married, just save all your receipts and leave them for your spouse to find. Or you can do what I did to cure my Bass Pro Shop addiction. Have your wife help you "organize" your gaming gear. (I have enough fishing and hunting gear to open my own store.)

If that doesn't provide a "cure" you have THE BEST SPOUSE EVER, or you're completely hopeless. In either case, I'd just go with it and keep having fun.

Berthier
04-24-2013, 08:00
The little gamer on my shoulder spent so much and got so heavy........

I had to get another one for the other shoulder to even everything up:singin:

Coyote
04-24-2013, 08:03
...My youngest, 5, helps me in play by rolling the dice and telling me what direction he things we should turn and how fast we should go but I then pick the appropriate move from that. ...
I hope to find SOG very similar in that it lets my children play and enjoy the game as a family.

My 4 y/o is murder with the x-wing dice. I'm thinking of taking him to a casino he's so freaking lucky.

I ditto your SoG sentiment. My dad is retired Navy and a big O'Brian fan. I introduced him to WoG on Easter and told him about SoG after we played. He's licking his chops until he can get his hands on a couple ships so he and his grandson can school me on naval tactics.

Cmmdre
04-24-2013, 08:22
If you're married, just save all your receipts and leave them for your spouse to find. Or you can do what I did to cure my Bass Pro Shop addiction. Have your wife help you "organize" your gaming gear. (I have enough fishing and hunting gear to open my own store.)

If that doesn't provide a "cure" you have THE BEST SPOUSE EVER, or you're completely hopeless. In either case, I'd just go with it and keep having fun.
Good advice Lord Captain Charles, Second Beef of Wellington.

The J
04-24-2013, 08:48
Looking at the tattoo, I was going to guess you were one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. If you'd called yourself "Gunny" instead of "Gunner," I would have for sure. I spent the first half my life living on Navy bases and only ever seen forearm ink like that on Sailors and Marines. I was neither, but I trained a lot of the former in my later years. I think you guys all get your ink from the same shop in the Phillippines.

Gunner is a term we use for Chief Warrant Officer. From the picture he looks like a classic WO and I could see referring to him as Gunner. It was specifically created for a particular MOS (I can't remember which one at the moment) but when I was in any CWO was referred to as Gunner.

So, Gunner, were you a CWO?

Coog
04-24-2013, 08:48
While spending is a consideration, it's become more of a problem of "what to do with all this stuff." I 've got tons of stuff that I got for gaming that I never use. I've finally narrowed my buying to getting items that expand just a few select games I already have and pass on some new games that look really good, especially when there is no reliable gaming community in my area for the games I play. Although I'm making an exception by adding SOG, I will be real selective in what items I get for the game in the future based on what ships do I really need and what ships do I really like.

Coyote
04-24-2013, 09:59
Gunner is a term we use for Chief Warrant Officer. From the picture he looks like a classic WO and I could see referring to him as Gunner. It was specifically created for a particular MOS (I can't remember which one at the moment) but when I was in any CWO was referred to as Gunner.

So, Gunner, were you a CWO?

I learned something new. I've heard army and air force refer to CWO's as "Chief." If Marines use "Gunner" I'd hate to be a Navy CWO in a joint services operation.

Army: "Chief, We need you, Quick!"
Marine: "Hurry, Gunner! Our lives depend on your leadership and quick thinking!"
Navy CWO Who's not a Gunner's Mate: [looking over his shoulder to see who those other guys are talking to.]

The J
04-24-2013, 10:06
I learned something new. I've heard army and air force refer to CWO's as "Chief." If Marines use "Gunner" I'd hate to be a Navy CWO in a joint services operation.

Marine: "Hurry, Gunner! Our lives depend on your leadership and quick thinking!"
Navy CWO Who's not a Gunner's Mate: [looking over his shoulder to see who those other guys are talking to.]

In my experience, whenever they mixed services, they put the Marine in charge. When I went to Army schools I was the class leader though at least half of the Army dogs there outranked me. I realize you were referring to combat ops, where they never put a Marine in Charge. Chesty Puller quote about Vietnam "Give me 2 Divisions and I will be in Peking by the end of the year" kind of shows why . . . nobody wanted to be in Peking! (As with ALL Chesty Puller Quotes, he may never have actually said anything remotely like that, but Marines will attribute to him without reservation).

Gunner
04-24-2013, 11:28
Gunner was a name I picked for this Naval site. Nothing to do with my time in the Corps.

CHolgren
04-24-2013, 12:47
I have a four y/o that finds Star Wars X-Wing from Fantasy Flight Games engaging enough. I like it because there are enough layers to the rules that you can customize the game to suit any age. I started my son with the basic "quick-start" rules they provide in the core set. Once he got used to those, I started introducing other rules, one at a time. Being 4 he has some trouble with the spacial aspects of the game, i.e. selecting the correct turn direction relative to his ship position. But he still has fun and he's learning. I'd expect an 8 y/o would probably handle it much better.

Fantasy Flight also has a simple strategy board game that we like to play. It's a bit cartoony and might not appeal to the 17 y/o (at first). It's called "Hey, That's My Fish." As an ADHD sufferer myself, I can tell you this is a good one for kids who have trouble focusing. The rules are simple, the game board is never the same any two times you play it, it's fast, and it all fits in a 6" x 6" x 1" inch box so it travels exceptionally well. On the surface it seems like a rather benign game, but the more we play it as a family, the more cut-throat the games seem to get.
We've cast the net pretty wide to try and find games both like to play. Mice and mystics, Belfort, and sentinels of the multiverse are the current favorites. Dungeon Fighter is popular as well and good for some laughs, some of the shots you have to make are impossible, but fun to try.

CHolgren
04-24-2013, 12:52
My 10 and 8 year olds enjoy Star Wars XWing (as do I and several of my hobby shop buddies). My youngest, 5, helps me in play by rolling the dice and telling me what direction he things we should turn and how fast we should go but I then pick the appropriate move from that. My older two are good (my oldest gives me a run for my money in most games we play) and I wouldn't expect my youngest to be a match yet for them.

I hope to find SOG very similar in that it lets my children play and enjoy the game as a family.That's what I'm hoping for. The oldest starts to get frustrated if the younger one starts to drag out his turns. Also, my youngest focuses on beating his big brother. I just have to mop up the pieces after he does that.

Avi
04-24-2013, 13:43
Avi, do they teach Cooper's Four Rules (that being #1) in the IDF, or are you independently a student of the field? :)

Had to look them up...
I guess someone had sneak peek before writing the IDF safety instructions.
1-3 are actually taught (with some minor variations)
(always loaded; don't point; finger out of trigger guard)

4 is part of "rules of engagement" - as there are many combat situation when you fire upon things without really knowing what they are.
(don't shoot without examining background)

"Pointing" and "trigger play" is the reason many recruits will stay the weekend on base...:smack:

Coog
04-24-2013, 13:56
Gunner was a name I picked for this Naval site. Nothing to do with my time in the Corps.

I always thought of your name as being for the warrant officer position aboard sailing ships as follows:

http://home.gci.net/~stall/gun.htm

csadn
04-24-2013, 14:23
The most important rule, #5 Control your adrenaline and hit what you aim at.

Covered by #4 -- if you're too jacked up to aim properly, you're more of a hazard to yourself than your target.

"Slow is smooth; smooth is fast." (Ask any race driver who's been told to "slow down" by his crew chief, changed his driving style to be slow, and got yelled at for gaining half-a-second per lap.... :) )

Gunner
04-24-2013, 15:07
[QUOTE=csadn;12339]Covered by #4 -- if you're too jacked up to aim properly, you're more of a hazard to yourself than your target.

Rule 4 has nothing to do with how the adrenal rush affects shaking. You must have a mind set of how you will react to a life theatening situation. Not just talk.

Diamondback
04-24-2013, 15:19
"Slow is smooth; smooth is fast."

Continuing from the same quote...
"... You need to learn to shoot slow in a hurry."--Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but Accurate is FINAL."--also Wyatt Earp

You must have a mind set of how you will react to a life theatening situation. Not just talk.
Why I used to tell my defensive students that somewhere around 75% of successful self-defense comes through study and meditation--you have to ask yourself how much your life and the lives of yur loved ones mean to you, and as I always told them, "If you cannot look me in the eye without hesitation and tell me that you will value the lives of yourself, your significant other or your children more than the life of an aggressor who intends to take them from you, both you and society are better off that you not carry--because those who do not have the resolve to use a weapon they carry usually end up giving it up to someone who DOES, whether handing over or taken from their corpse."

You can be the best instructor for skills in the world, you can be the best builder for hardware in the world, but there is NOTHING you can do to fix someone who fundamentally lacks SHEER WILL.

Gunner
04-24-2013, 15:43
Looks like we agree. You must have a mind set. I know I have. After moving in a new house at 3AM. I heard a noise, went downstairs and heard a clunk, I spun cocked and pointed and almost shot my icemaker. But since it wasn't armed I put my SAA away and went back to bed.
True story.

Diamondback
04-24-2013, 15:55
Hey, I shot myself in the butt once... granted, it was only Airsoft, but still... :o (Though that's really more for a "Your Most Embarrassing Moment" thread. LOL)

"Never trust a mechanical safety."

Gunner
04-24-2013, 16:10
Hey, I shot myself in the butt once... granted, it was only Airsoft, but still... :o (Though that's really more for a "Your Most Embarrassing Moment" thread. LOL)

A lesson learned at a cheap price.

Coog
04-24-2013, 16:14

Reminds me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTalnzcO0xk

Coyote
04-24-2013, 16:26

This might come as a shock to some, but I'm not really a coyote either. Although if anyone believes otherwise I should probably take that as a hint to stop licking my &@!!$ in public.

7eat51
04-24-2013, 16:31
I've heard army and air force refer to CWO's as "Chief."

In the Air Force, Chief is an E-9 Chief Master Sergeant. They tend to be truly respectable people. I had a lot of admiration for all of the chiefs I knew.

7eat51
04-24-2013, 16:35
That's what I'm hoping for. The oldest starts to get frustrated if the younger one starts to drag out his turns. Also, my youngest focuses on beating his big brother. I just have to mop up the pieces after he does that.

I regret not mentioning this before (if I did, forgive me, I misplaced my memory somewhere) but this morning a KS ended for a game coming out next year called Myth. It is a cooperative board game with minis and cards set in dungeons. No beating each other as you have to work together, and probably interesting enough to all age groups due to being fantasy. Another game you might want to look at is Flash Point - a cooperative firefighting game - very easy and a lot of fun.

Coyote
04-24-2013, 17:20
In the Air Force, Chief is an E-9 Chief Master Sergeant. They tend to be truly respectable people. I had a lot of admiration for all of the chiefs I knew.

My mistake. Like I said, I grew up and later instructed Navy so I'm not too familiar with the other services. To me "Chief" always meant E-7. Add a "Senior" for E-8 and "Master" for E-9. My dad is the "Master" variety (retired). And I completely agree, they are truly respectible people. I'm 41 years old and still I keep my ears open and mouth shut when they have something to say.

CHolgren
04-24-2013, 18:00
I regret not mentioning this before (if I did, forgive me, I misplaced my memory somewhere) but this morning a KS ended for a game coming out next year called Myth. It is a cooperative board game with minis and cards set in dungeons. No beating each other as you have to work together, and probably interesting enough to all age groups due to being fantasy. Another game you might want to look at is Flash Point - a cooperative firefighting game - very easy and a lot of fun.
I read your post yesterday and got in on it last minute. Thanks.

Cmmdre
04-24-2013, 18:43

Another use of Chief in the AF is for Crew Chief out on the flight line.

7eat51
04-24-2013, 19:28
I read your post yesterday and got in on it last minute. Thanks.

Great. I can't remember five minutes in the past these days. I can't believe the stretch goals. I am still trying to figure that KS out.

HMS Lydia
04-24-2013, 19:44
The Air Force actually quite giving Warrants back in the 80's and increased the number of E-9 Chief Master Sergeant slots. As far as I know the AF is the only US armed force that doesn't employ Warrants. Also, the Army in the early 90's started comminssioning Warrant Officers when you achieved the CW2 rank. Your still a warrant officer but hold a commission. Doesn't make any sense to me, but what ever. I've never been a WO so?

I've had the utmost respect for Warrants despite being in two helicopter incidents, one near mid air collision, and one that hit a tree. Fortunately, had extra skivies in the ruck sack!

But yes, the Army does refer to CW2's and above as Chief, and many WO's insist upon it.

Andy Blozinski
04-24-2013, 21:15
Battletech was also available as a collectible card game (maybe 15 years ago??) but by the third expansion they had broken the game with killer cards.
I have a buddy that has that. His decks are pretty balanced. We break it out once every year or so and have a good battle.

CHolgren
04-25-2013, 06:57
Great. I can't remember five minutes in the past these days. I can't believe the stretch goals. I am still trying to figure that KS out.

It was crazy. Something like half a million generated in the last 48 hours. The stretch goals look great as well.

OmegaLazarus
04-25-2013, 09:26
Also, the Army in the early 90's started comminssioning Warrant Officers when you achieved the CW2 rank. Your still a warrant officer but hold a commission. Doesn't make any sense to me, but what ever.

Are you sure about that? It is conflicting since there are two different pay and promotion scales and the origin of the authority is different. The Warrant Officer receives their station from the Secretary of the Army, while a Commissioned Officer receives their station from the President. I don't see how the paperwork can work out for that. LES would be off, DD214 wouldn't make sense etc.

HMS Lydia
04-25-2013, 12:49
Are you sure about that? It is conflicting since there are two different pay and promotion scales and the origin of the authority is different. The Warrant Officer receives their station from the Secretary of the Army, while a Commissioned Officer receives their station from the President. I don't see how the paperwork can work out for that. LES would be off, DD214 wouldn't make sense etc.

Oh yes I'm sure. Read the Warrant Officers Association PDF:

www.usawoa.org/.../FAQ-CommisioningArmyCWO(NDAA86).pdf

I believe it boiled down to authority. Warrants in the army wear specialist Warrant Officers. Warrants were techically never supposed to appear in the Chain of Command. Anyway that what I was told by a retired Army Personnel Officer.

Omega: your the first person I ever heard says something in the Army doesn't make sense with a straight face.:embarass:

The Barrelman
04-25-2013, 12:54
I fly airplanes for fun. That is the reason I was so interested in WGF. But, that has flown the coop in anticipation of SGN. Got some X-Wing that I tried and now looking to get rid of them (anyone interested?). A few board games but not many. My big enjoyment time would be online competitive video games like World of Tanks, World of Warplanes, World of Battleships (when it comes out) and the like.

GreenLaborMike
04-25-2013, 13:23
I fly airplanes for fun. That is the reason I was so interested in WGF. But, that has flown the coop in anticipation of SGN. Got some X-Wing that I tried and now looking to get rid of them (anyone interested?). A few board games but not many. My big enjoyment time would be online competitive video games like World of Tanks, World of Warplanes, World of Battleships (when it comes out) and the like.

If your X-Wing stuff is still available, I might be interested. PM me if it's still for sale.

csadn
04-25-2013, 20:37
You can be the best instructor for skills in the world, you can be the best builder for hardware in the world, but there is NOTHING you can do to fix someone who fundamentally lacks SHEER WILL.

People who know me know that is *not* one of my myriad failings. :)

OmegaLazarus
04-26-2013, 08:18
Omega: your the first person I ever heard says something in the Army doesn't make sense with a straight face.:embarass:

Yeah, I don't what I was thinking there. Point fully taken. I am just surprised that 15 years later, they were teaching us the wrong info on a tradoc level. What I posted is definitely what I learned about CoC while I was in training and that was long after the info was no longer true. Weird.

CHolgren
04-26-2013, 09:45
So, a quick question. I was considering purchasing the Roman seas port pdf. They are 1:300 scale. Is it safe to assume that if I reduce the image to 25% that I would then have 1:1200 scale buildings? Is it that easy or would I be wrong?

I figured it was an inexpensive fix for coastal terrain and would give me something to do during the wait for SGN

HMS Lydia
04-26-2013, 10:49
Yeah, I don't what I was thinking there. Point fully taken. I am just surprised that 15 years later, they were teaching us the wrong info on a tradoc level. What I posted is definitely what I learned about CoC while I was in training and that was long after the info was no longer true. Weird.

I'm not knocking TRADOC because they manage a lot of material, but they are generally behind in updates. Fortunately, a lot of training material never changes. But when something does, and depending on the priority, pub updates can be put off or sent out as a change insert. But also, I think when teaching Basic you have to keep things as straight foward as you can, and the whole Warrant Officer concept to begin with, confuses many new soldiers.

Gunner
04-26-2013, 11:06
So, a quick question. I was considering purchasing the Roman seas port pdf. They are 1:300 scale. Is it safe to assume that if I reduce the image to 25% that I would then have 1:1200 scale buildings? Is it that easy or would I be wrong?

I figured it was an inexpensive fix for coastal terrain and would give me something to do during the wait for SGN

Yep, 300 divided by 1200 is .25

CHolgren
04-26-2013, 13:07
Yep, 300 divided by 1200 is .25

Thanks Ed. Not that I didn't get the math, it just never seems to scale when I try something like this.

7eat51
04-26-2013, 13:18

I assume your ordering from the company you listed on another thread. If so, let us know what you think of their minis - quality, etc. I am intrigued by their collection, and I will be playing War Galley by GMT throughout the summer with a friend. I wouldn't mind picking up some of these minis if they're decently enough made. The cost is not prohibitive in terms of building up small fleets.

Let us know how the scaling works for you.

CHolgren
04-26-2013, 13:18
Well gents I'm off to get ready for Chicago Whiskey Fest. I'm hoping to get a seat in the scotch and fudge pairing seminar. Hopefully this year I won't carry on a five minute conversation with my wife who wasn't there. That had my brother-in-law rolling down the streets.

Gunner
04-26-2013, 14:37
Thanks Ed. Not that I didn't get the math, it just never seems to scale when I try something like this.

Stand in line. Right behind me. I'm never sure if it's the printer or me.

Coog
04-26-2013, 14:48
I feel your pain. It seems like I go through the better part of a color ink cartridge and numerous sheets of card stock before I can get it right.

7eat51
04-26-2013, 14:53
What? There are color printers?

I think for those of us of a certain age, the words technologically challenged comes to mind.

RichardPF
04-26-2013, 15:41

:shock: So...
DOES THIS GIVE ME AN IDEA OR WHAT??? :sly:

7eat51
04-26-2013, 16:39

I certainly hope so!!!

Gunner
04-26-2013, 16:40
What? There are color printers?

I think for those of us of a certain age, the words technologically challenged comes to mind.

If my son had a $ for every time I called with a problem, he could buy Ares.

Berthier
04-26-2013, 22:23
The number of times I've tried to print out board wargame counter variants onto sticky label paper and got
- the wrong size
- the wrong colour
- run out of one colour during printing, making the counter prints unusable
- had the label paper jam in the printer and had to spend two hours getting all the bits out
- printed on the wrong side of the label sheet....ugghh

are we having fun yet?:sad::erk::cry:

Diamondback
04-26-2013, 23:00
Idea, Richard... doubt there were a lot of Roman-style buildings still occupied even in Napoleon's day, but maybe some SLP'ed ruins?

7eat51
04-27-2013, 21:16
If my son had a $ for every time I called with a problem, he could buy Ares.

Last week I was back home in Chicago, and I was in a cafe working on my laptop. A woman stopped at my table and asked me a computer question. I looked at her and thought, "Lady, if only you knew whom you were asking."

Diamondback
04-27-2013, 21:46
Ain't it positively annoying how just 'cause you have a laptop everyone thinks you're free tech support, or thinks you should let them borrow it to check their email or look up scores or weather?

I can't tell you how many times I've had to greet people with "Like your hands? Then keep 'em TO YOURSELF and OFF MY CRAP!"

csadn
04-28-2013, 14:39
Last week I was back home in Chicago, and I was in a cafe working on my laptop. A woman stopped at my table and asked me a computer question. I looked at her and thought, "Lady, if only you knew whom you were asking."

Are you one of these people where Tech Support has a marker next to your name labeled "Send this person to Tier 3 immediately"?

7eat51
04-28-2013, 16:59
Are you one of these people where Tech Support has a marker next to your name labeled "Send this person to Tier 3 immediately"?

When I started bringing my computer to class, my students laughed. Fortunately, I have always had knowledgeable students to help me through. One thing I can say for sure, one should never mistake familiarity with technology for the ability to think.

RichardPF
04-28-2013, 19:05

So Cory's comment/question got me thinking about this idea of paper models a bit.

My 3D fort and HMS Surprise virtual models are off at the printing bureau for that part of the development process so I had a bit of SGN development "down time" there.

It has probably been 25 years or more since I did any paper modeling, but I thought it might be worth a shot.

The initial project idea was to make a set of modular coastline pieces as 3D paper models that could be mixed and matched by the person assembling their coastline (as opposed to me) to come up with unique costal designs.

That was my project for the weekend. It has included learning a new piece of software along the way which is always fun for me.

The first step was to design the concept for the pieces so that a limited number of modular paper model pieces could build varied costal designs.
What I settled on was coastal component pieces that were 2 inches wide and from 1 to 6 inches long. Some of the components have square coast profiles, that is, the pieces are the same length on each side. Other components have angled coasts. That is, there is a 1 inch differential in coast length from one side to the other.
I built two different 6 inch long pieces. The shorter side of the angled 5/6 inch pieces have the same profile, but one of the square 6"ers has a sloped terrain while the other is a flat bluff/cliff design (where a fort could live).

The longer front to back pieces also reach a higher elevation. The angled coastal pieces are also used as the height transition pieces.

A view sighting more or less down the coast.
Realize that the square coastal pieces can be added in quantities of 0 or greater at each transition.
(But wait, there's more to come in a bit on this flexibility)

A view from "behind" the pieces showing the elevation changes a bit more.
The 6" long pieces are about 1 1/2" tall.

From here, there object files were exported from the modeling software and imprted into my newly purchased piece of software that lets me "unwrap" the geometry to flat surfaces. This is Japanese software with only marignal english translation directions, but all went rather smoothly.

All of the components including mirrored angle coast pieces in my favorite vector graphics package ready for final cleanup.
The dotted lines on the top surfaces will be removed and replaced by actual grass/rock type image texturing.
Fold instructions will be recreated as arrows and moved off the edges of the top pieces so as not to be visible on the final components..

In total, there are 18 pieces.
In the above image, these are arranged left to right from longest to shortest.
The top row contains the square coast pieces, the second and third rows contain the angled coast pieces in each direction.
It turns out that because of the left to right side angles present in the elevation changes, the top surface sides of the angled coast pieces are not completely straight.
This can probably be seen most clearly in the lower left components in this last image.

The elevation topology of any of the pieces of a given side length will match that of any other of that side length.
This allows for the coast you build to snake in and out.

There will be notches in the bottoms of the pieces so that they can be connected with paperclips.
The top surfaces are really all that need color printing, so the pieces will be arranged on the pages to group the tops together to minimize color printing costs.

I will build out the prototypes so that I am sure that all of this works before turning it loose on everyone, but all that should be complete by next weekend.

Berthier
04-28-2013, 20:54
Very nice design work Bruce, the Japanese software to unwrap is particularly impressive. All those years of development of origami put to good use no doubt.

7eat51
04-28-2013, 21:10
Impressive Bruce. It is special being able to read how the work is actual done - much more meaningful and increases one's ability to appreciate the finished product.

Seriously, well done. :hatsoff:

RichardPF
04-28-2013, 21:18
Very nice design work Bruce, the Japanese software to unwrap is particularly impressive. All those years of development of origami put to good use no doubt.

No doubt.

What do color (or colour) copies go for in your part of the world?
Will most shops print to card stock?

Berthier
04-28-2013, 21:28
Not sure I do my own colour printing (usually badly).I know onto A4 paper in colour about 10-20cents a sheet depending on volume but that probably doesn't help much

RichardPF
04-28-2013, 22:11

This is actually coming together quite quickly.
It looks like all parts of all 18 land chunks will fit into 15 spaces of 7.5 x 10 inches.
I actually squeeze in one extra 4" straight coast object, so we get a total of 19.

Of these, the top 5 have all of the ground surface segments and would be suitable for printing in color.
I will be adding painted grass, rocks, sand and such and removing the dotted lines on those.
The other 10 could be printed in black.

It may make sense to distribute these as image files as well as Word docs or pdf's so that the user can scale them as desired more easily.

I know that A4 is just over 8 1/4 wide, so this may be a tight go.
I will work on narrowing the chunks down a bit, but those bluff/cliff top surfaces are pretty big.

When I build out a set of these, I will add a second layer of card stock on the parts of the sides where the paper clips will go as reinforcement.
I did not create cutting templates for those on the plans but may.
I will definitely be adding the notches for where the paper clips are to go.

A paper model fort of any size will require two of the bluff/cliff sections to sit on, so I may make some changes to this page layout for that consideration.

CHolgren
04-29-2013, 04:56
Bruce, that is fantastic work. I love the modular aspect, as opposed to other papercraft terrain I've come across in my search, where it's an entire hill, rock, etc.

Coyote
04-29-2013, 06:49
Nice work, Bruce. :thumbsup:

OmegaLazarus
04-29-2013, 08:10
Nice job! Very cool.

Sea Gull
04-29-2013, 08:17
Super stuff, Bruce.

Capt P
04-29-2013, 13:31
Nice game room Gunner. Looks like a nice dart board and pool table. Hope you have a bar so you would have a nice pub. Serve food and have to get you on Dinners, Drive-Ins and Dives of the food channel.

Gunner
04-29-2013, 16:12
Nice game room Gunner. Looks like a nice dart board and pool table. Hope you have a bar so you would have a nice pub. Serve food and have to get you on Dinners, Drive-Ins and Dives of the food channel.

The bar:drinks: came before the table.

CHolgren
04-30-2013, 05:17
The bar:drinks: came before the table.

Looks like you've got your priorities in order Ed.

CHolgren
05-05-2013, 17:57
Enjoying a fantastic sunny Sunday afternoon for a change45974598. Playing Kubb with the family and over serving my wife and myself on my Saison de Noel and La Petite Orange Blanche.

7eat51
05-05-2013, 18:33
Not sure what Kubb is. Nice picture of libations. Hope you had a good time, which I imagine you did.

Speaking of taking pride in beer, today I tried two homemade brews - one from a kit and one that is a first time self-generated recipe. I am not a beer drinker, though I have tried 250-300 types of beers from around the world. Never cared for any of them other than cooking with - but not for lack of trying; I'm always willing to taste and see. Today was a bit of surprise - I enjoyed Mike's first time recipe. An Irish red I believe he classified it.

Gunner
05-05-2013, 18:53
Playing Kubb with the family and over serving my wife and myself on my Saison de Noel and La Petite Orange Blanche.

I hope your Kubb arm is better than the Cubs pitchers arms.
Management should issue shovels to all the players to help dig their way out of the cellar.
But I'm still a fan.:sleep:

7eat51
05-05-2013, 19:01
Management should issue shovels to all the players to help dig their way out of the cellar.

Why do you tempt me?

Coog
05-05-2013, 19:20

Gunner
05-05-2013, 19:37

Ha,ha,ha.
I tried many times. But couldn't shake it.

Berthier
05-06-2013, 04:39
Love it Bobby...translates across all cultures and languages.

CHolgren
05-06-2013, 05:01
Not sure what Kubb is. Nice picture of libations. Hope you had a good time, which I imagine you did.

Speaking of taking pride in beer, today I tried two homemade brews - one from a kit and one that is a first time self-generated recipe. I am not a beer drinker, though I have tried 250-300 types of beers from around the world. Never cared for any of them other than cooking with - but not for lack of trying; I'm always willing to taste and see. Today was a bit of surprise - I enjoyed Mike's first time recipe. An Irish red I believe he classified it.
Kubb( pronounced Koob) is a lawn game, obviously, also referred to as Viking Chess. Comes from Gotland in Sweden. Essentially each team has 5 knights and you have to knock them down with batans thrown underhand and then kill the king.

Maybe you haven't come across the right beer. I love the variety a small country like Belguim produces and most have a good kick as well.

CHolgren
05-06-2013, 05:04
But I'm still a fan.:sleep:
I'm a fan too, unfortunately. Well my Kubb arm was doing well, but them my wife insisted we all throw with out left hands. She has a tear in her left elbow tendon and wasn't able to throw with her proper hand. At that point I resembled Cubs pitching.:cry:

7eat51
05-06-2013, 05:13
Maybe you haven't come across the right beer. I love the variety a small country like Belguim produces and most have a good kick as well.

I have tried many Belgium beers. Actually, I have tried more types of beers than many of my friends who a serious beer connoisseurs. At this point, I think it is physiological, having to do with taste buds. It is a bit surprising given my enjoyment of all types of foods from around the world. Thankfully, I enjoy wine.

I'll have to check out Kubb.

Coyote
05-07-2013, 06:48
Ha,ha,ha.
I tried many times. But couldn't shake it.

"It's like a curse your parents put on you when you're a child" - Joe Mantegna, "We Believe: Chicago and its Cubs"

Berthier
05-09-2013, 02:05
Crafts, Hobbies & Home books

1/1200 too small for you? Perhaps the grown up version might be more to your taste. here is a nice list I received from Amazon today for modelling period ships. Enjoy

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51ycw%2BcwvbL._SL500_SS140_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=MUS8RIAJKSIKAZ5ZEHKWLNNWMKAA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F1591146755%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_0_im)

Period Ship Modelmaking: An Illustrated Masterclass (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=UALBJ48JEMVVCEVRTDGGAOBNUUYA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F1591146755%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_0_ti)

by Philip Reed (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=MJ9MY5LJKVQ0APO34DASZUYAFS4A&T=C&U=%2Fs%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_ntt_athr_dp_sr_1%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26field-author%3DPhilip%2520Reed%26ie%3DUTF8%26search-alias%3Dbooks%26sort%3Drelevancerank)

List Price: $42.95

Price: $28.63 https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/prime-badge._V185692621_.gif

You Save: $14.32 (33%)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/learn-more._V187266810_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=TPREXCVVOFCVJYKMAPWX6Q499EQA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F1591146755%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_0_lm)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/add-wishlist._V187256494_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=MN5NFNTBS3J6WNVS4I3MUDC0OKSA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fitem-dispatch%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_0_atw%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26action%3Dadd-to-registry.wishlist%26asin.1%3D1591146755%26submit.add-to-registry.wishlist.x%3D1%26submit.add-to-registry.wishlist.y%3D1%26template-name%3Dstores%252Fdetail)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51afbdJvErL._SL500_SS140_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=J3SKHLMTUASQSRQABA9JKIGVQPGA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F0830628444%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_1_im)

Ship Modeling from Stem to Stern (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=P7C25LL6Z9PEWNTZBCQM8YCU0TMA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F0830628444%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_1_ti)

by Milton Roth (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=XBEH3A3SWX6L4NY4IF7LRLTW0X8A&T=C&U=%2Fs%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_ntt_athr_dp_sr_1%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26field-author%3DMilton%2520Roth%26ie%3DUTF8%26search-alias%3Dbooks%26sort%3Drelevancerank)

List Price: $19.95

Price: $13.47 https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/prime-badge._V185692621_.gif

You Save: $6.48 (32%)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/learn-more._V187266810_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=BQP0EKJMH7ILOVRM4VGYRZVCDREA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F0830628444%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_1_lm)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/add-wishlist._V187256494_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=DLUCONLQWR3XNACE1QSGX9QY22UA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fitem-dispatch%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_1_atw%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26action%3Dadd-to-registry.wishlist%26asin.1%3D0830628444%26submit.add-to-registry.wishlist.x%3D1%26submit.add-to-registry.wishlist.y%3D1%26template-name%3Dstores%252Fdetail)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZNLy6poVL._SL500_SS140_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=FKAEEKBKDFTEKOMQBNDPMIFKLDIA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F1591140927%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_2_im)

Building a Miniature Navy Board Model (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=C204SZ5QQOXH4C0X4ZJML8B64BEA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F1591140927%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_2_ti)

by Phillip Reed (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=XRGBMACW35DMQMFM5YQNOPYQEX0A&T=C&U=%2Fs%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_ntt_athr_dp_sr_1%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26field-author%3DPhillip%2520Reed%26ie%3DUTF8%26search-alias%3Dbooks%26sort%3Drelevancerank)

List Price: $49.95

Price: $36.46 https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/prime-badge._V185692621_.gif

You Save: $13.49 (27%)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/learn-more._V187266810_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=T9AX1RZAQ5MTANSZ530A4NET23EA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F1591140927%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_2_lm)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/add-wishlist._V187256494_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=ORSIQ8HCY6OKW6I2L1WMFNOUY00A&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fitem-dispatch%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_2_atw%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26action%3Dadd-to-registry.wishlist%26asin.1%3D1591140927%26submit.add-to-registry.wishlist.x%3D1%26submit.add-to-registry.wishlist.y%3D1%26template-name%3Dstores%252Fdetail)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51uVp2pptjL._SL500_SS140_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=LYD7SUFXRZYE2CIJGCXSVX4LN6SA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F1844861600%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_3_im)

Shipwright 2013: The International Annual of Maritime History... (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=XOHZWHWNPHEHBFHNAROMUIM6RFEA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F1844861600%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_3_ti)

by John Bowen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=JKWVEDQSIYM4AGNZOKD0EJGMWD8A&T=C&U=%2Fs%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_ntt_athr_dp_sr_1%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26field-author%3DJohn%2520Bowen%26ie%3DUTF8%26search-alias%3Dbooks%26sort%3Drelevancerank), Jean Hood (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=8HRVR0SV40ANEFE7AFMAXJU2EDOA&T=C&U=%2Fs%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_ntt_athr_dp_sr_2%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26field-author%3DJean%2520Hood%26ie%3DUTF8%26search-alias%3Dbooks%26sort%3Drelevancerank)

List Price: $50.00

Price: $30.10 https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/prime-badge._V185692621_.gif

You Save: $19.90 (40%)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/learn-more._V187266810_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=XRGALAAFSDG5AXGFCMYALMJMPBOA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F1844861600%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_3_lm)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/add-wishlist._V187256494_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=EFNKEBOIKOXC9A66PJNQBT5L5OGA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fitem-dispatch%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_3_atw%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26action%3Dadd-to-registry.wishlist%26asin.1%3D1844861600%26submit.add-to-registry.wishlist.x%3D1%26submit.add-to-registry.wishlist.y%3D1%26template-name%3Dstores%252Fdetail)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/5129cN253IL._SL500_SS140_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=GFOOY4MZ3HNK2KAK5S6STZNDLLWA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F1557509700%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_4_im)

Rigging Period Ship Models: A Step-by-Step Guide to the Intracacies... (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=S6PAPPVBU6XPA4NCTX2P4AJHTHIA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F1557509700%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_4_ti)

by Lennarth Petersson (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=VBNO6JCW56QIACDAK3OGFGP1EZ4A&T=C&U=%2Fs%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_ntt_athr_dp_sr_1%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26field-author%3DLennarth%2520Petersson%26ie%3DUTF8%26search-alias%3Dbooks%26sort%3Drelevancerank)

List Price: $46.00

Price: $30.38 https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/prime-badge._V185692621_.gif

You Save: $15.62 (34%)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/learn-more._V187266810_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=CO3TW5BXWAAQ3SMPS75M6NAYLPCA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F1557509700%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_4_lm)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/add-wishlist._V187256494_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=AL3AZUMIIAFPLKLFKPCA0LF0WACA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fitem-dispatch%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_4_atw%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26action%3Dadd-to-registry.wishlist%26asin.1%3D1557509700%26submit.add-to-registry.wishlist.x%3D1%26submit.add-to-registry.wishlist.y%3D1%26template-name%3Dstores%252Fdetail)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51-0zeBFSNL._SL500_SS140_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=AIFP8HEGPEWULNW77GTK5A700PUA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F0071558675%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_5_im)

Ship Modeling Simplified: Tips and Techniques for Model... (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=GERATABXPUI4IQGAY0PXJOHJJSYA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F0071558675%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_5_ti)

by Frank Mastini (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=LHJSW0QJLQDKX8PF92V7XPCJN6SA&T=C&U=%2Fs%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_ntt_athr_dp_sr_1%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26field-author%3DFrank%2520Mastini%26ie%3DUTF8%26search-alias%3Dbooks%26sort%3Drelevancerank)

List Price: $19.95

Price: $17.96 https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/prime-badge._V185692621_.gif

You Save: $1.99 (10%)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/learn-more._V187266810_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=E4HFQ7CTD5U6NDIXQCA9QPNQXNKA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F0071558675%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_5_lm)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/add-wishlist._V187256494_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=AA5EMMCCNUA82A9AQVNGNCLYMDGA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fitem-dispatch%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_5_atw%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26action%3Dadd-to-registry.wishlist%26asin.1%3D0071558675%26submit.add-to-registry.wishlist.x%3D1%26submit.add-to-registry.wishlist.y%3D1%26template-name%3Dstores%252Fdetail)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/5151qukDv2L._SL500_SS140_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=50I6TYWUDSD7QDJ3OEYAGGXUOPWA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F184486149X%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_6_im)

Shipwright 2012: The International Annual of Maritime History... (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=B2UYHQNMHDVP0HWDHN7XY8CUI8EA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F184486149X%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_6_ti)

by John Bowen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=JKWVEDQSIYM4AGNZOKD0EJGMWD8A&T=C&U=%2Fs%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_ntt_athr_dp_sr_1%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26field-author%3DJohn%2520Bowen%26ie%3DUTF8%26search-alias%3Dbooks%26sort%3Drelevancerank), Martin Robson (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=ITK5GZHKSLFAKNQZ5DPG2SRAE3KA&T=C&U=%2Fs%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_ntt_athr_dp_sr_2%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26field-author%3DMartin%2520Robson%26ie%3DUTF8%26search-alias%3Dbooks%26sort%3Drelevancerank)

List Price: $39.95

Price: $26.63 https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/prime-badge._V185692621_.gif

You Save: $13.32 (33%)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/learn-more._V187266810_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=SD1W5F7XBZYKVEEVQ3H8H5QGRCEA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F184486149X%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_6_lm)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/add-wishlist._V187256494_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=WIDAHNSZKBMIEC5L5EI4DZ4EDHGA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fitem-dispatch%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_6_atw%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26action%3Dadd-to-registry.wishlist%26asin.1%3D184486149X%26submit.add-to-registry.wishlist.x%3D1%26submit.add-to-registry.wishlist.y%3D1%26template-name%3Dstores%252Fdetail)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51e4y9yuOxL._SL500_SS140_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=9YTRKXEDGJWFQI9QMXEMZ8QAU2UA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F1591147212%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_7_im)

Rigging Period Fore-and-aft Craft (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=BDOQTXYHPQMTZKTY2XLGUJNVBEMA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F1591147212%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_7_ti)

by Lennarth Petersson (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=VBNO6JCW56QIACDAK3OGFGP1EZ4A&T=C&U=%2Fs%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_ntt_athr_dp_sr_1%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26field-author%3DLennarth%2520Petersson%26ie%3DUTF8%26search-alias%3Dbooks%26sort%3Drelevancerank)

List Price: $42.95

Price: $30.58 https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/prime-badge._V185692621_.gif

You Save: $12.37 (29%)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/learn-more._V187266810_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=QYA0IKAKNHSQGWYAEST6JZOHBXQA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F1591147212%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_7_lm)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/add-wishlist._V187256494_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=UAMA624U7ACZGC8TEDRSSKOVXASA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fitem-dispatch%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_7_atw%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26action%3Dadd-to-registry.wishlist%26asin.1%3D1591147212%26submit.add-to-registry.wishlist.x%3D1%26submit.add-to-registry.wishlist.y%3D1%26template-name%3Dstores%252Fdetail)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZqmBdFI1L._SL500_SS140_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=Q2YJEFM2URO5QGD57ADDW02SWNQA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F0830628681%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_8_im)

Planking Techniques for Model Ship Builders (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=AB08PDANJGBHAKJS1MVXEEHDJLGA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F0830628681%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_8_ti)

by Donald Dressel (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=QDAETQDMJKD7CO2USPUDNCU1BNCA&T=C&U=%2Fs%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_ntt_athr_dp_sr_1%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26field-author%3DDonald%2520Dressel%26ie%3DUTF8%26search-alias%3Dbooks%26sort%3Drelevancerank)

List Price: $18.95

Price: $11.87 https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/prime-badge._V185692621_.gif

You Save: $7.08 (37%)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/learn-more._V187266810_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=ASRV5UYB1DIT6UTFXG28NHI7RQGA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F0830628681%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_8_lm)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/add-wishlist._V187256494_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=MJTI5V1BBUV32MG0PIXWLUJRQ0EA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fitem-dispatch%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_8_atw%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26action%3Dadd-to-registry.wishlist%26asin.1%3D0830628681%26submit.add-to-registry.wishlist.x%3D1%26submit.add-to-registry.wishlist.y%3D1%26template-name%3Dstores%252Fdetail)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Akmsow-gL._SL500_SS140_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=RZ1IDXEBIAYHMQNNVFITITHKKLMA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F0070368171%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_9_im)

Ship Modeling from Scratch: Tips and Techniques for Building... (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=NCLZYUKXJJKXAAWE7DEN9LDMSBEA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F0070368171%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_9_ti)

by Edwin Leaf (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=EDYNGVMPAAIJDOADYQBT7SRO8XKA&T=C&U=%2Fs%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_ntt_athr_dp_sr_1%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26field-author%3DEdwin%2520Leaf%26ie%3DUTF8%26search-alias%3Dbooks%26sort%3Drelevancerank)

List Price: $18.95

Price: $12.49 https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/prime-badge._V185692621_.gif

You Save: $6.46 (34%)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/learn-more._V187266810_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=K0GKQAUJF9X0L1KLJG9M5AT5ON4A&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F0070368171%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_9_lm)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/add-wishlist._V187256494_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=WQOY58STOTGDMNKGVDEYF3DVY3CA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fitem-dispatch%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_9_atw%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26action%3Dadd-to-registry.wishlist%26asin.1%3D0070368171%26submit.add-to-registry.wishlist.x%3D1%26submit.add-to-registry.wishlist.y%3D1%26template-name%3Dstores%252Fdetail)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/5116U2ZN2mL._SL500_SS140_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=Q380JTGBCAJBSHAGVBBFXBPOVE8A&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F1844861082%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_10_im)

Shipwright 2010: The International Annual of Maritime History... (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=E6HPLLWIIZQEDXKE0AYRTIFI6LCA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F1844861082%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_10_ti)

by Martin Robson (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=ETUPZSVTEU5ZDZIN9FYWNDBB9TIA&T=C&U=%2Fs%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_ntt_athr_dp_sr_1%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26field-author%3DMartin%2520Robson%26ie%3DUTF8%26search-alias%3Dbooks%26sort%3Drelevancerank), John Bowen (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=7WMUPBWMQUPQ4PHYUMQ8HHRDIUAA&T=C&U=%2Fs%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_ntt_athr_dp_sr_2%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26field-author%3DJohn%2520Bowen%26ie%3DUTF8%26search-alias%3Dbooks%26sort%3Drelevancerank)

List Price: $39.95

Price: $27.71 https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/prime-badge._V185692621_.gif

You Save: $12.24 (31%)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/learn-more._V187266810_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=OMJ0D08AKPTFQTAEP7PQAO5QMG4A&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F1844861082%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_10_lm)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/add-wishlist._V187256494_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=JJPSPGFP2NQAENVFKQL7FUTLNWWA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fitem-dispatch%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_10_atw%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26action%3Dadd-to-registry.wishlist%26asin.1%3D1844861082%26submit.add-to-registry.wishlist.x%3D1%26submit.add-to-registry.wishlist.y%3D1%26template-name%3Dstores%252Fdetail)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/412m-SQ8OSL._SL500_SS140_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=P4ATPK1GAMV86AX905WQT1PO050A&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F0486261743%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_11_im)

The Built-Up Ship Model (Dover Woodworking) (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=9N2VRFEM9LKWIEDV72OMAJGMMLCA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F0486261743%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_11_ti)

by Charles G. Davis (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=6WE0PA6OASZAYHHNCN00XQYVTZYA&T=C&U=%2Fs%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_ntt_athr_dp_sr_1%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26field-author%3DCharles%2520G.%2520Davis%26ie%3DUTF8%26search-alias%3Dbooks%26sort%3Drelevancerank)

List Price: $12.95

Price: $11.25 https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/prime-badge._V185692621_.gif

You Save: $1.70 (13%)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/learn-more._V187266810_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=GHODC0XRZGUBEP2CFE2JQMK2L7QA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F0486261743%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_11_lm)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/add-wishlist._V187256494_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=AEAX294E1DEKERTM6NWW9UOSPCGA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fitem-dispatch%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_11_atw%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26action%3Dadd-to-registry.wishlist%26asin.1%3D0486261743%26submit.add-to-registry.wishlist.x%3D1%26submit.add-to-registry.wishlist.y%3D1%26template-name%3Dstores%252Fdetail)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/514WGQH0XHL._SL500_SS140_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=IOWKGS19Z4ZCQCAVCNT8VVXCI3GA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F0486255840%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_12_im)

The Ship Model Builder's Assistant (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=TNPTRREAYCAVHN7NNLLY5Z94VQUA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F0486255840%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_12_ti)

by Charles G. Davis (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=6WE0PA6OASZAYHHNCN00XQYVTZYA&T=C&U=%2Fs%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_ntt_athr_dp_sr_1%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26field-author%3DCharles%2520G.%2520Davis%26ie%3DUTF8%26search-alias%3Dbooks%26sort%3Drelevancerank)

List Price: $12.95

Price: $9.88 https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/prime-badge._V185692621_.gif

You Save: $3.07 (24%)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/learn-more._V187266810_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=RA8EN6V5WZSU6WICESU6E8KWAM8A&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F0486255840%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_12_lm)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/traffic/tea/add-wishlist._V187256494_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=2IJLSG1UDATN8&C=2ISURTNZLNU7N&H=A9763WZLPPOHBJPNJ7PULRT92MCA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fitem-dispatch%2Fref%3Dpe_152050_29686760_email_1p_12_atw%3F_encoding%3DUTF8%26action%3Dadd-to-registry.wishlist%26asin.1%3D0486255840%26submit.add-to-registry.wishlist.x%3D1%26submit.add-to-registry.wishlist.y%3D1%26template-name%3Dstores%252Fdetail)

7eat51
05-09-2013, 08:02
Very nice list Daniel. Thanks.

Nightmoss
05-09-2013, 09:38
Cool list, Daniel!! And you're going to buy, or have already purchased all of these?:happy:

Coog
05-09-2013, 11:41
And there are tools just for the hobby:

http://www.micromark.com/model-ship-tools-and-accessories.html

Nightmoss
05-09-2013, 13:20
And there are tools just for the hobby:

http://www.micromark.com/model-ship-tools-and-accessories.html

Almost makes you think it might not be too hard to construct them? Almost, but not enough, space being a big issue for my various hobbies these days.

CHolgren
09-11-2013, 06:45
So most, I see, play historical war games, but does anyone play anachronistic/steampunk? By that I mean Dystopian wars, Leviathans, weird war two, Tannhauser, Incursion, secrets of the third Reich?

My older son enjoys Tannhauser and if I play that he'll indulge me in a game of incursion. Any other games out there of interest?

7eat51
09-11-2013, 08:51
Funny you should ask, Cory. I started looking, the past few days, for a steampunk RPG system. I thought the time period could make for interesting scenarios and game sessions. I am open to any recommendations.

I looked at Leviathan recently, but I am not sure I want to start another mini series beyond the historical ones I am building. However, David Manley's pictures of War Rocket ships has me intrigued, or should I say tempted.

As for "other" games, we have been playing a lot of coop games lately, and have been enjoying them. We are now on Letters from Whitechapel: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/59959/letters-from-whitechapel

CHolgren
09-11-2013, 10:54
Funny you should ask, Cory. I started looking, the past few days, for a steampunk RPG system. I thought the time period could make for interesting scenarios and game sessions. I am open to any recommendations.

I looked at Leviathan recently, but I am not sure I want to start another mini series beyond the historical ones I am building. However, David Manley's pictures of War Rocket ships has me intrigued, or should I say tempted.

As for "other" games, we have been playing a lot of coop games lately, and have been enjoying them. We are now on Letters from Whitechapel: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/59959/letters-from-whitechapel

Eric, I've never really done much RPG. I think the savage world's system has a few steampunk things you could try. I agree with Leviathans, I think Jim has said there's not much activity in that area. I have all the ships available for them but it's hard to get my kids to play that, so it doesn't see much light.

The closest we come to rpg is mice and mystics, you don't gain experience but you can modify the team and character equipment t to match the scenario objectives. Tannhauser is like that as well, just weird war two setting. Both these games come with the miniatures so your not putting out money for minis right away. Tannhauser has a lot of character expansions and factions to add if you want. Tannhauser is also pre-painted so no time added for that.

My personal preference for weird war two is incursion. The first edition game came with stand ups and optional metal figures to buy. I was able to collect one of each figure and actually got them all painted. They re-released on kickstarter last month with plastic figures included in the starter box. Anybody who backed that got three Times the number of minis I have for a third the price, I'm not bitter, much, but I backed them for the new minis that were kickstarter exclusives.

I'm actually interested if anyone has played Secrets of the Third Reich? I've seen the minis and they look interesting for weird war two, just not sure about the rules and how the game plays. My wife not being a game is due to be thinking, "great, more little men around the house".

Hope that helps give you some ideas.

Nightmoss
09-11-2013, 10:56
So most, I see, play historical war games, but does anyone play anachronistic/steampunk? By that I mean Dystopian wars, Leviathans, weird war two, Tannhauser, Incursion, secrets of the third Reich?

My older son enjoys Tannhauser and if I play that he'll indulge me in a game of incursion. Any other games out there of interest?

I still like the concept and game Leviathans, but locally the game is pretty much ignored and not supported at the stores. Catalyst Games hasn't exactly done a great job on continued support either. They're talking about another Kickstarter this Fall to help bring out a new set of factions (Germans and Italians), but their track record on KS isn't inspiring. Looking forward to the Firefly board game at the end of the month. I demoed it at GenCon and enjoyed it (75/100 on some reviews). Also played Pandemic, which was an awesome coop game.

Gaz67
09-11-2013, 12:20
Saturday past I went to "jocktoberfest, and drank "Black Isle Blonde".

Organic beer at a local music festival at a brewery, 12 hours on the beer epic... Don't try this at home kids

http://www.blackislebrewery.com/

http://www.jocktoberfest.com/

csadn
09-11-2013, 14:26
By that I mean Dystopian wars, Leviathans, weird war two, Tannhauser, Incursion, secrets of the third Reich?

Only one of those I've seen played locally is the first one. _Leviathans_ is too complicated, and requires too much "bespoke" kit. The rest are either long-OOP, or get even-worse support.

I must confess to being tempted by _War Rocket_, if for no other reason than: Finally, a space combat game which *doesn't* use the Naval aesthetic....

7eat51
09-11-2013, 14:56
I must confess to being tempted by _War Rocket_, if for no other reason than: Finally, a space combat game which *doesn't* use the Naval aesthetic....

I must confess that I am tempted by their look alone. See David's blog entry and pics - really cool stuff: http://dtbsam.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/War%20Rocket

CHolgren
09-11-2013, 16:32
The ships remind me of Wizkids Rocketmen, with the exception that these are three dimentional and Rocketmen were plastic card stock you had to put together.