PDA

View Full Version : THE CARRONADE

Cmmdre
04-21-2013, 10:33
The carronade was a short-barrelled gun which threw a heavy ball developed by the Carron Company, a Scottish ironworks, in 1778. Because of irregularities in the size of cannon balls and the difficulty of boring out gun barrels there was usually a considerable gap between the ball and the bore - often as much as a quarter of an inch - with a consequent loss of efficiency. This gap was known as the "windage". The manufacturing practices introduced by the Carron Company reduced the windage considerably, enabling the ball to be fired with less powder and hence a smaller and lighter gun. The carronade was half the weight of an equivalent long gun, but could throw a heavy ball over a limited distance. The light weight of the carronade meant that the guns could be added to the forecastle and quarterdeck of frigates and ships of the line, increasing firepower without affecting the ship’s sailing qualities. It became known as the “Smasher” and gave ships armed with carronades a great advantage at short range.
It was Lord Sandwich who eventually started mounting them in place of the light guns on the forecastle and quarterdeck of ships. They soon proved their effectiveness in battle. In the 1810s and 1820s tactics started to place a greater emphasis on the accuracy of long-range gunfire, and less on the weight of a broadside.

Naharaht
04-21-2013, 21:51
Carronades were not counted when discussing the number of guns on a ship, so a 36-gun ship may have 36 ordinary cannons plus carronades.

7eat51
04-21-2013, 21:56
I have noticed many ships with number of guns listed actually contained more. Any particular reason why these were not counted?

Coog
04-21-2013, 22:10
I have noticed many ships with number of guns listed actually contained more. Any particular reason why these were not counted?

Perhaps this will help Eric:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rating_system_of_the_Royal_Navy

7eat51
04-21-2013, 22:28
Thanks Bobby. That was an informative article.

Cmmdre
04-22-2013, 00:14
Perhaps this will help Eric:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rating_system_of_the_Royal_Navy

That is why I love this site. One mention of something leads to more information through discussion. Thanks for the link Bobby.