PDA

View Full Version : HOT SHOT

Cmmdre
04-21-2013, 08:58
A process where a solid iron cannonball is heated red hot in a specially-designed wood- or coal-fired furnace and then is loaded in a muzzle-loading cannon, cushioned by a substantial thickness of wet wads, and is then fired while still red hot, at flammable targets with the intention of setting them on fire. This was a much advocated tactic (and many times a very successful one) for shore-based forts defending against attacks by wooden warships. Examples of these small brick furnaces may still be seen at permanently constructed pre-1860 forts in Europe and the United States. The adoption by most navies of iron-hulled ships generally made these obsolete. The shot was carried on a specially designed iron barrow or two-man litter and, in the era of black-powder cannon charges contained in cloth bags, occasioned much fanfare and notice as it was conveyed to the cannon muzzle as the red-hot projectile would easily ignite any carelessly handled loose powder. Any reckless or somewhat dangerous individual who seemed to draw trouble to themselves and those around them was referred to as a "Hot Shot", giving rise to the term in common use to this day.

Cmmdre
04-21-2013, 20:47
Uploaded related image.

Naharaht
04-21-2013, 21:45
Does the source of your picture explain why a woman is handling the red hot shot, please, Paul?

7eat51
04-21-2013, 21:50
Interesting. Nice background on "Hot Shot."

Cmmdre
04-22-2013, 00:07
Does the source of your picture explain why a woman is handling the red hot shot, please, Paul?
No, it does not. Sorry David. I came across that in some information concerning the War of 1812.

Berthier
04-22-2013, 01:00
You will also note in the picture an incoming shell with fuse burning which looks like shrapnel (spherical case), an explosive shell where the fragments did the killing rather than grape shot or canister where the balls in a canister were sprayed out.

Cmmdre
04-22-2013, 06:39
You are correct Daniel. Very interesting observation.

HMS Lydia
04-27-2013, 08:26
Hot things, a wooden warships worst nightmare! My understanding is that sometimes the furnace would warp the balls out of round and they would not fit in the cannon bores. Also, these shots could not sit in the cannon or it could cook off the charge in the gun. Great stuff Paul. I wonder if there will be rules for this? Optional, perhaps?

Cool Breeze
05-03-2013, 09:35

That's not a woman! That's Madmartigan. "Gentlemen, meet Lug!"

All kidding aside, I'd be curious as to this paintings origination idea as well.