04-21-2013, 09:08
Classic...

:happy:

csadn
04-21-2013, 13:40
Viking -- Ninja Pirates. :)

Capt P
04-21-2013, 17:14
How about Huns or Mongols? Has anyone used a averging die before? I have a game that it is used in.

The J
04-23-2013, 09:45
Pirate, never understood the fascination with Ninja, other than Academic. There were plenty of assassin societies, and some perhaps better than Ninja. But in the end they were simply assassins, murderers for hire, using their skills for "the man".

Pirates were rebels, after enough abuse under the system they chose a different path for themselves, worked together with poor success in general, but for the time they were under the sail, following the stars, they were free men (and women).

Ninjas? Please, the modern drone has all the capabilities of a Ninja, only better. When your entire ethos can be programmed into a simple device there isn't much to you.

Beowulf03809
04-23-2013, 10:25
Ninjas? Please, the modern drone has all the capabilities of a Ninja, only better. When your entire ethos can be programmed into a simple device there isn't much to you.

Hmmm...at my desk I have a print out of several sayings and among them is "Go away or I will replace you with a very small shell script." And I have successfully automated the major contributions of one team already (I was tired of them calling me with "problems"). I also have a Jolly Roger flag hanging over my monitors (next to my giant spider).

:rum:

The J
04-23-2013, 11:27
Hmmm...at my desk I have a print out of several sayings and among them is "Go away or I will replace you with a very small shell script." And I have successfully automated the major contributions of one team already (I was tired of them calling me with "problems"). I also have a Jolly Roger flag hanging over my monitors (next to my giant spider).

:rum:

Exactly my point. I've always had as my employment goal, reaching a point where everything I do is accomplished by someone coming by and pressing a big push button on my desk where I used to sit and everything I once did is accomplished through automation. I'd even throw in a recording of a joke or two to ensure the full experience is achieved. While I am continually automating many things, the powers that be continue to find new things to replace those activities and I never quite reach my goal.

Of course, if I ever DID achieve it, I might just sit around pushing a big old push button once a day for as long as I can, before someone finally notices.

Beowulf03809
04-23-2013, 12:06
Isn't that exactly what George Jetson used to do?

pward
04-23-2013, 14:58
Ninja (pirates have little honor... he says as he ducks...):happy:

besides... they hang pirates. :erk:

The J
04-24-2013, 09:12
Ninja (pirates have little honor... he says as he ducks...):happy:

besides... they hang pirates. :erk:

I've always found the Samurai idea of honor to be very strange. I read about the battle of Sekigahara and the entire outcome is dependent upon whether one commander will change loyalty and fight for the opponent (he did). And over and over again in Japanese history that theme is repeated.

Sure it isn't any different, functionally, than western Chivalry, but the Samurai is represented as honorable, the knight and Chivalry is seen as something questionable.

So the idea that the assassin in that social structure that had such questionable morality has honor is a really strange concept

7eat51
04-24-2013, 09:22
I've always found the Samurai idea of honor to be very strange. I read about the battle of Sekigahara and the entire outcome is dependent upon whether one commander will change loyalty and fight for the opponent (he did). And over and over again in Japanese history that theme is repeated.

Sure it isn't any different, functionally, than western Chivalry, but the Samurai is represented as honorable, the knight and Chivalry is seen as something questionable.

So the idea that the assassin in that social structure that had such questionable morality has honor is a really strange concept

I think we often romanticize history, especially with such subcultures as samurai. That is not to say there has never been any in Japanese history, for example, that had highly developed senses of admirable honor. Interestingly, many of Toyota's leaders throughout the years have displayed such qualities.

The J
04-24-2013, 09:59
I think we often romanticize history, especially with such subcultures as samurai. That is not to say there has never been any in Japanese history, for example, that had highly developed senses of admirable honor. Interestingly, many of Toyota's leaders throughout the years have displayed such qualities.

Agreed, I think the modern concept of Bushido, more than the actual practice of the period, is admirable. Much like the modern concept of Chivalry, as opposed to the actual actions of knights and lords of the period.

We romanticize both Pirates and Ninjas. But my view is, stripping as much of that modern romantic view away as possible, what are you left with?

Pirates: People rebelling against an oppressive and dehumanizing system.
Ninjas: Murderers that underwent a lot of training, but who chose to be murderers.

The question becomes, do you admire skill (Ninja) or Philosophy (Pirates). If the skill in question wasn't used for murder, it would be a tougher decision. As it is:

Yo Ho, Yo Ho, It's a Pirates life for me! :rum:

Coog
04-24-2013, 12:32
Agreed, I think the modern concept of Bushido, more than the actual practice of the period, is admirable. Much like the modern concept of Chivalry, as opposed to the actual actions of knights and lords of the period.

We romanticize both Pirates and Ninjas. But my view is, stripping as much of that modern romantic view away as possible, what are you left with?

Ninjas: Murderers that underwent a lot of training, but who chose to be murderers.

The question becomes, do you admire skill (Ninja) or Philosophy (Pirates). If the skill in question wasn't used for murder, it would be a tougher decision. As it is:

Yo Ho, Yo Ho, It's a Pirates life for me! :rum:

A very generous view of pirates.:happy:

crashx
04-24-2013, 13:21
Ha, ha, ha!!! Zoe, you are so resourceful!!!

7eat51
04-24-2013, 17:08

One thing history shows us is that those who throw off shackles often throw shackles on others once in power. I am not sure pirates were simply free spirits; I am inclined to think they committed some dehumanizing acts as well.

I think your comments on the difference between concepts and actual practice or manifestation is spot on.

Diamondback
04-24-2013, 19:37
Yeah, but don't forget that pirates didn't CARE who they preyed on, targeting any passing source of loot.

I'm sorry, holding the "Brethren of the Sea" up as something admirable is akin to canonizing Bonnie & Clyde as heroes--to be sure, there were a few that tried to control their crews, but for every "Gentleman Pirate" or patriotic-minded Henry Morgan there was at least one vicious, bloodthirsty Blackbeard and probably closer to three or more.

(Yeah, yeah, says the guy flying the Skull & Bones... LOL)

The J
04-24-2013, 21:59
Well, that happens when you start typing up half formed ideas. I guess it really boils down to Pirates were responding to dehumanizing conditions by choosing a life of murder and robbery. Ninjas worked hard to become murderers. I'm more in the camp of the person that at least had a half of a reason for their bad choices, rather than the one that chose it as a lifestyle from an early age.