PDA

View Full Version : NOTABLE ACTIONS

Cmmdre
04-20-2013, 08:35
In 1804 Macdonough accompanied Decatur when they hunted down the murderer of Decatur's brother, James Decatur, who was killed by the commander when he boarded a Tripolitan ship that had pretended to be surrendering. After catching up with and pulling alongside the ship involved, Decatur was the first to board the enemy vessel with Midshipman Macdonough at his heels along with nine volunteer crew members. Decatur, Macdonough and the rest of the crew were outnumbered 5 to 1 but were determined, organized and kept their form, fighting furiously side by side, killing the commander and most of the crew along with capturing the Tripolitan ship.

Talk about bravery and courage. Chasing down an enemy ship, boarding with odds against you, then kicking some serious ass and not taking names. These men fought side by side in close quarters hand to hand combat when "I got your back" meant something. Glimpses of history long gone.

7eat51
04-20-2013, 10:53
Thought you might appreciate this Paul - a nice tribute to your story of loyalty:

Cmmdre
04-20-2013, 11:59
Excellent thank you Eric.

7eat51
04-20-2013, 12:05
One wonders in today's world how strong are loyalty ties outside of communities such as the military. I fear even there, things might not be what they used to be.

Cmmdre
04-20-2013, 12:18
One wonders in today's world how strong are loyalty ties outside of communities such as the military. I fear even there, things might not be what they used to be.

From my experience in the military and as a guide I found the shared risk factor brought in an element of unity that I have not found since. It's too bad that loyalty appears to be waning in our age.

Diamondback
04-20-2013, 14:49
One reason why, even though I did not get to serve, I tend to prefer the company of vets over other civvies. :)

7eat51
04-20-2013, 19:07
One reason why, even though I did not get to serve, I tend to prefer the company of vets over other civvies. :)

Its civvies like you that makes serving a bit easier. If only others had your understanding. :hatsoff:

pward
04-23-2013, 19:52
The Nepoleonic age of sail is filled with such great naval history.