PDA

View Full Version : Firing Arcs on Ship bases

BlackEd
04-19-2013, 04:53
I watched all the videos on SOG. In one of the reviews, the reviewer showed that the firing arcs of the two ships compared were not the same. Which leads me to this question: How are a ship's firing arcs determined?

I would've thought that all sailing ships would have a similar arc -- after all, pretty much the same technology is in use for all ships of the time. You point a cannon out a hole in the side of the ship.

Were some ships known for having better arcs of fire than others? Or is some other factor in play?

And because I can: :beer:

7eat51
04-19-2013, 06:25
If my memory serves me correctly, in the comparison, the arcs of the two ships had the same degrees. Due to the size of the ships, the arcs did not line up with each other, giving slightly different coverage. I am not sure if the arcs will differ in degrees between radically different size classes; hopefully more videos or images will make that clearer.

Beowulf03809
04-19-2013, 07:38
Hi, Ed.

Right now it appears from video / pic review that all ships of a certain size have the same arcs. As mentioned above, larger ships will be able to cover more area in their shooting. It is not yet known if the arcs have some variation that is Class specific. For example is the arc of the Amazon Frigates different than that of the Concorde Frigates. I personally hope so if the ships themselves did have anything that distinguishes them apart from each other in this area historically. But I'm not sure if that was the case and I don't think we'll know for sure how Ares deals with this until we have the first models in our hands.

Additionally, there is some discussion over here that the extended front and rear broadsides may be a compensation for bow/stern chasers. The arcs do seem to give a little more forward/rear firing than I would expect from a 'broadside' alone. I'm glad there is reduced damage done on those extended shots though to reflect fewer guns brought to bear on those shots.

:rum: