PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone.

Blas de Lezo
04-19-2013, 02:30
I´m a new member from Spain. I used to play a lot of Wings of war, but since they stopped publishing it and because Wings of Glory has never been released in my country (also they don´t ship to Spain) I decided to join the Kickstarter and add something new to my game collection.

I have been interested in naval battles since I read the book “El combate perpetuo” about the first admiral of the Argentinian fleet William Brown and when I discovered Blas de Lezo and the War of Jenkins' Ear.

Gaz67
04-19-2013, 06:16
Welcome aboard Alberto.

7eat51
04-19-2013, 06:19
Welcome aboard Alberto.

Send me a private message if you ever desire WoG planes. We could look into buying them here and shipping them to you.

Cmmdre
04-19-2013, 07:37
:salute: Ahoy Alberto. Welcome from Washington State.

Nightmoss
04-19-2013, 08:39
Greetings and welcome to the Anchorage, Alberto.

The Barrelman
04-19-2013, 13:57
Welcome!!!

:salute:

Berthier
04-19-2013, 20:04
Welcome Alberto, tell us about your avatar.

Naharaht
04-19-2013, 21:28
Welcome to the Anchorage, Alberto.

Gunner
04-20-2013, 01:25
Howdy Alberto. Welcome:beer: from Arizona.

Blas de Lezo
04-20-2013, 03:37
First of all thank you all for this friendly welcome.
Daniel, my Avatar is the admiral Blas de Lezo, one of the best admirals of the Spanish fleet, knew as the Halfman because he lost one eye, one hand and one foot. He´s famous for the battle of Cartagena de Indias, that took part in the War of Jenkins' Ear. In that battle with only six ships and around 4 to 5 thousand men won against 186 British ships with at least 27,400 military personnel.
The King George II was so sure of the victory that ordered to made commemorative medals. But the victory was n Lezo´s side cussing heavy losses to the British empery. Once the King knew about the defeat, he orbade to talk or write about it. If I have time, one day I try to write all I know about this incredible battle.
And Eric, thank you and I will send you a message after my economy recovers from this Kickstarter.:happy:

Cmmdre
04-20-2013, 07:21
Alberto, I would very much like to read a post in the Historical forum on this interesting character you know a lot about. :question:

Comte de Brueys
04-22-2013, 03:50
Bonjour, Alberto.

Welcome on board. :salute:

Nice to see another Spanish Captain here. :g&t:

Blas de Lezo
04-22-2013, 07:17
Thank you very much Sven
I haven't met the other Spaniard yet :happy:

Beowulf03809
04-22-2013, 11:34
Ahoy and welcome!

I actually read about the "ear" incident recently while brushing up on the history of the fort at St. Augustine, Florida. I grew up in central FL and our family visited the fort a few times and I've gone back there as an adult as well. I am considering it an interesting "terrain piece" option down the road.

Blas de Lezo
04-23-2013, 01:22
Hello Lawrence
Fisrt of all say that Florida is such a lovely place (I’ve been there 2 times) and there is a lot of history there, but unfortunately is not studied here in Spain and is a pity because was very important for the Spanish crown for almost 3 centuries.
I’m working in a post of that war and it will be great if you have photos to post there.
Thank you in advanced

Jack Aubrey
04-23-2013, 02:43
Willkommen, welcom, Alberto:salute:

Berthier
04-23-2013, 04:58
First of all thank you all for this friendly welcome.
Daniel, my Avatar is the admiral Blas de Lezo, one of the best admirals of the Spanish fleet, knew as the Halfman because he lost one eye, one hand and one foot. He´s famous for the battle of Cartagena de Indias, that took part in the War of Jenkins' Ear. In that battle with only six ships and around 4 to 5 thousand men won against 186 British ships with at least 27,400 military personnel.
The King George II was so sure of the victory that ordered to made commemorative medals. But the victory was n Lezo´s side cussing heavy losses to the British empery. Once the King knew about the defeat, he orbade to talk or write about it. If I have time, one day I try to write all I know about this incredible battle.
And Eric, thank you and I will send you a message after my economy recovers from this Kickstarter.:happy:

Alberto
Thank you so much for enlightening me on a piece of history I knew little about, probably due to Anglo-Saxon background they didn't mention the defeats too often! I love the Halfman name, sounds like a character from Game of Thrones :happy:

I read up on his biography on Wiki, what an impressive career, great choice of Avatar.

Blas de Lezo
04-23-2013, 09:02
Hello Daniel
If there is something that I really envy the British is how much they loved their history, because in Spain we do the opposite, we know our defeats and ignore our victories.

7eat51
04-23-2013, 09:47
Hello Daniel
If there is something that I really envy the British is how much they loved their history, because in Spain we do the opposite, we know our defeats and ignore our victories.

In the U.S., there are those who only find fault with American victories, and completely ignore any service the U.S. has ever rendered to others. In some circles, to be a patriot is a dirty word. I do not mean to suggest that the U.S. is blameless, nor do I undermine or undervalue the service of others to the U.S. or with the U.S. I simply do not understand the utter national-loathing of some here.

Coog
04-23-2013, 09:51
Our country! In her intercourse with foreign nations, may she always be in the right; but our country, right or wrong.

Stephen Decatur

7eat51
04-23-2013, 09:53
Our country! In her intercourse with foreign nations, may she always be in the right; but our country, right or wrong.

Stephen Decatur

Sadly, you would probably be expelled from school, if not arrested, if you wore that on a t-shirt today.

Coog
04-23-2013, 10:04
Sadly, you would probably be expelled from school, if not arrested, if you wore that on a t-shirt today.

Probably in Illinios. Most of Texas is still pretty conservative (Although you could replace "our country" with "Texas" much of the time.):happy:

Gunner
04-23-2013, 11:50
Probably in Illinios. Most of Texas is still pretty conservative (Although you could replace "our country" with "Texas" much of the time.):happy:

Let's not forget Arizona who walks side by side with the beliefs of "conservative Texas". Even though we get into more trouble with the Feds.

Coog
04-23-2013, 12:10
Let's not forget Arizona who walks side by side with the believes of "conservative Texas". Even though we get into more trouble with the Feds.

Here lately Texas has been in Arizona's shadow.:salute:

Blas de Lezo
04-24-2013, 00:55
I love to read how you see your country. And as in every place, is divided between liberals and conservatives.
And is not like no one knows who wrote our history, is just that everyone knows what the Spanish Armada La armada invencible is (the expedition that lost most of their ships trying to conquer England) but they ignore who Blas de Lezo was. If you ask to an historian of course he knows, but is not taught in the school.

Berthier
04-24-2013, 01:10
Spain was the most powerful nation of Europe, possibly even the world, for a very long time, it is a shame that isn't recognised and given a place of pride in your country.

Gunner
04-24-2013, 01:30
I love to read how you see your country. And as in every place, is divided between liberals and conservatives.

And unfortunately a large group that just goes with the flow, thinking problems will fix themselves.

Cmmdre
04-24-2013, 07:18
And unfortunately a large group that just goes with the flow, thinking problems will fix themselves.

"United we stand, divided we fall." Still rings true today. Those who came before us knew the perils and faced them down.

7eat51
04-24-2013, 07:45
"United we stand, divided we fall." Still rings true today. Those who came before us knew the perils and faced them down.

Unfortunately, when you have two groups, for example liberals and conservatives as in the U.S., that continually move in opposite directions, eventually they will see each other as the peril. I fear what type of common enemy would be required to unite the U.S. I imagine this is true of other nations as well.

Blas de Lezo
04-24-2013, 08:23
As you Said Eric, is the same in every country.
Many of the wars that are declared have a component to unite the country against an enemy. It happens to the roman empery with the expansions campaigns (to have the generals abroad), the crusades (to unite Europe with a common goal) the Spanish Dutch wars (to avoid a civil war by reviving the spirit of the Reconquista) etc.

crashx
04-24-2013, 10:56
Hello, welcome to the group!!!

Wargamer
04-24-2013, 11:57
Hiyas! Welcome from Pensacola FL!

Blas de Lezo
04-25-2013, 05:08
Hello and thank you for this welcome

Sea Gull
04-29-2013, 03:40
Greetings from the Kingdom of Holland, Alberto :salute: