PDA

View Full Version : Illinois and Neighboring States

7eat51
04-18-2013, 22:35
For those of you who are not members of the Aerodrome, there is a group of players from Illinois and Wisconsin that meet throughout the year to play WoG. With the release of SoG, we will do the same. I will post upcoming WoG dates here in case you would like to check out the game or meet the folks. Of course, I highly encourage you to join the Aerodrome as well.
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/content.php

7eat51
04-18-2013, 22:35
This Saturday - the 20th - Adepticon is taking place in the western suburbs of Chicago. Michael, aka Beer and Pretzels - is running a WoG game.
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?14245-Adepticon-fast-approaching&highlight=adepticon

Berthier
04-18-2013, 23:02
I don't suppose Australia counts as a neighbouring state:wink::happy:

7eat51
04-18-2013, 23:06
I don't suppose Australia counts as a neighbouring state:wink::happy:

For many reasons, I wish it was.

Hopefully, one day we'll be able to play together in person.

Berthier
04-18-2013, 23:31
Well I once attended Origins in Columbus Ohio. Think it was 1996, that was my last visit to the states. Ohio was a lot like central Australia..very flat..! I remember they had the 4th July parade down the main street which was great to see.

Still I'd like to get to Historicon and Gencon one day and visit Gettysburg (I assume, not being a native, that that is the best ACW battle site to visit?)

7eat51
04-18-2013, 23:49
Still I'd like to get to Historicon and Gencon one day and visit Gettysburg (I assume, not being a native, that that is the best ACW battle site to visit?)

If you ever attend Gencon, let me know. I would be more than happy to pick you up from O'Hare in Chicago and take you there, or any such assistance.

I imagine it would be hard to go wrong visiting Gettysburg.

Cmmdre
04-18-2013, 23:56
Well I once attended Origins in Columbus Ohio. Think it was 1996, that was my last visit to the states. Ohio was a lot like central Australia..very flat..! I remember they had the 4th July parade down the main street which was great to see.

That is one site. Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, Signal Mountain all near Chattanooga are rich with ACW hstory as well.

Coog
04-19-2013, 00:01
Vicksburg is pretty good also. Among things there is a Union gunboat.

Cmmdre
04-19-2013, 00:07

Nasty looking beast. :erk:

Berthier
04-19-2013, 03:04
If you ever attend Gencon, let me know. I would be more than happy to pick you up from O'Hare in Chicago and take you there, or any such assistance.

I imagine it would be hard to go wrong visiting Gettysburg.

Very kind indeed Eric, if I get there I'll take you up on that! Similarly if you ever get to Melbourne let me know. Nothing military to see though, the War Memorial museum in the capital Canberra is excellent but that's 700km from where I live.

Berthier
04-19-2013, 03:05

That's spectacular Bobby, I had no idea there were any left.

Berthier
04-19-2013, 03:42
That is one site. Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, Signal Mountain all near Chattanooga are rich with ACW hstory as well.

Great to know these sites are still worth visiting, what about Antietam? Apologies to others for going off topic.

CHolgren
04-19-2013, 07:01
So, question, I've never been to any of the CONs, once in can you observe the open gaming/demos or are you expected to participate?

I think I can make it to this one since it's just 5 miles away, but I may only have a short window and trying to hit more than one event I don't want to get started and then have to leave mid way through.

Again, not having been to one of these is that a possibility?

Also, can you pay at the door?

7eat51
04-19-2013, 07:18
So, question, I've never been to any of the CONs, once in can you observe the open gaming/demos or are you expected to participate?

I think I can make it to this one since it's just 5 miles away, but I may only have a short window and trying to hit more than one event I don't want to get started and then have to leave mid way through.

Again, not having been to one of these is that a possibility?

Also, can you pay at the door?

You can always observe. Michael and other participants would be more than happy to meet you - they are a great bunch of folks. You should be able to pay at the door. Adepticon is a several day event.
http://www.adepticon.org/

GreenLaborMike
04-19-2013, 07:29
Great to know these sites are still worth visiting, what about Antietam? Apologies to others for going off topic.

I grew up in Northern Virginia (just outside Washington, DC), and there are a number of Civil War Battlefields within easy driving distance, including Antietam, Manassas (Bull Run), Gettysburg, etc. If you make it this far, then you have an embarrassment of riches of American History to visit. Antietam is my personal favorite for Civil War sites. As the bloodiest conflict in the War, it had the strongest impact on me of all the sites I have visited. But Gettysburg is also great to visit.

Cmmdre
04-19-2013, 07:29

I can't comment on Antietam having never been there. At the base of Signal Mountain however the Confedorama is a must see, if it is still there. It has been many years since I was in that area.

It is called Battles of Chattanooga Museum now.

CHolgren
04-19-2013, 07:50
You can always observe. Michael and other participants would be more than happy to meet you - they are a great bunch of folks. You should be able to pay at the door. Adepticon is a several day event.
http://www.adepticon.org/
Thanks for the confirmation. I read the rules of conduct, but I just wanted someone to verify what I interpreted.

Berthier
04-19-2013, 08:18
Thanks to Michael and Paul for all the information, I must plan a trip ..probably in retirement!

csadn
04-19-2013, 14:59
Nasty looking beast. :erk:

Nasty enough for what it was facing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City-class_ironclad . Slower than a moose in molasses, and some weaknesses in protection; but a sight better than most of what the Rebels could bring to bear.

That's spectacular Bobby, I had no idea there were any left.

Technically, there weren't; the survivors were all scrapped post-war. _Cairo_ exists only because it *didn't* "survive" the war; it was sunk in '62, and left in the river for almost a century, where mud and silt protected it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Cairo_%281861%29 .

CHolgren
04-23-2013, 19:13
Has anyone heard or gone to Nav-Con? Strictly Naval Wargaming in Oak Creek, WI. Happening in October 2013, so another chance for an SGN demo and seems to be the perfect audience.

7eat51
04-30-2013, 08:51
1 Jun 14 Get Together

From the Aerodrome:

There is a Squadron Scramble planned for June 1st in Loves Park, IL, just north of Rockford!!! Location: St Bridgets Church Parish Center @ 600 Clifford Ave. Loves Park, IL 61111 from 10am to 4pm. The cost again is two(2) canned goods per person (for the church pantry, please bring fruit if possible), and feel free to bring something to pass around for lunch (no potato chips, I will have fresh Mrs Fishers chips from the factory)!!! Please let me know as soon as possible if you can attend so I can plan everything!!! Thanks!!!

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?14654-Squadron-Scramble-Illinois-Wisconsin&highlight=illinois

Coyote
05-03-2013, 06:39
Has anyone heard or gone to Nav-Con? Strictly Naval Wargaming in Oak Creek, WI. Happening in October 2013, so another chance for an SGN demo and seems to be the perfect audience.

If I'm not travelling around that time, I'd be interested in attending. I might consider standing a watch at an Anchorage-sponsored booth if the Admiralty wishes to support a formal presence. I'm not sure how that would work, and I'm not willing to ask the question. (The turkey that gobbles is the one who usually ends up in the roaster.)

GrouperKicker
05-03-2013, 08:17
Eric:
Although I won't be able to make it on the 1st, can you let me know what game components a 'newbie' would want to pick up/review prior to attending one of these events? (4 Plane Starter Box, Duel Pack, Planes, Basic rules...?)
Other than personal preference, is there any real difference between the WWI and WWII version of the rules/game?

7eat51
05-03-2013, 11:59
If I'm not travelling around that time, I'd be interested in attending. I might consider standing a watch at an Anchorage-sponsored booth if the Admiralty wishes to support a formal presence. I'm not sure how that would work, and I'm not willing to ask the question. (The turkey that gobbles is the one who usually ends up in the roaster.)

Rock-Con is also happening in October, I believe. I am open to running an event, being an Anchorage presence, etc. there.

Does anyone know when Rock-Con is this year?

Eric:
Although I won't be able to make it on the 1st, can you let me know what game components a 'newbie' would want to pick up/review prior to attending one of these events? (4 Plane Starter Box, Duel Pack, Planes, Basic rules...?)
Other than personal preference, is there any real difference between the WWI and WWII version of the rules/game?

Scott, you don't need to bring anything to the scrambles. The basic and standard rules are on Ares website:
WWI - http://www.aresgames.eu/category/downloads+ww1-wings-of-glory-games
WWII - http://www.aresgames.eu/category/downloads+ww2-wings-of-glory-games

As for components, picking up one of the duel packs would get you going. If you like the game, we can definitely guide you as to how to build a collection, etc.

As for WWI vs. WWII, we basically play WWI. I believe the WWII planes move much faster, I think you plan two moves ahead instead of three, but other than that, I really don't know. I will look for some threads on the Aerodrome and post them here later if no one else responds with better info.

7eat51
05-09-2013, 10:53
ROCK-CON in Rockford - October 25-27

Michael, aka Beer&Pretzels is running several WoG games. I am looking into running SoG games.

Rock-Con:http://www.nobleminis.com/RockconWP/

From the Aerodrome:
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?14878-Rock-Con

Coyote
05-16-2013, 13:21
Rock-Con is also happening in October, I believe. I am open to running an event, being an Anchorage presence, etc. there.

If they're both in October, it'll probably have to be one or the other (Nav-con Vs. Rock-con) for me. I need to factor in the amount of grief I'll be getting from "the admiralty" for making her a "hunting widow" most of November.

7eat51
05-16-2013, 22:38
If they're both in October, it'll probably have to be one or the other (Nav-con Vs. Rock-con) for me. I need to factor in the amount of grief I'll be getting from "the admiralty" for making her a "hunting widow" most of November.

There is Flatcon in Bloomington/Normal in November.

I am looking into running some WGF and SoG games there as well. It would be great if you could make it.

Capt P
05-22-2013, 15:07
WOW great picture COOG.

crashx
05-27-2013, 16:46
There is Flatcon in Bloomington/Normal in November.

I am looking into running some WGF and SoG games there as well. It would be great if you could make it.

Eric, let me know asap when Flat on is, I and my two boys may be able to come down!!!

7eat51
05-27-2013, 21:07
Timothy, I am completely dumbfounded. They scheduled it for the same weekend as Rock-Con. Sue and I will be attending Rock-Con. I don't get it.

Old Ironsides
05-30-2013, 12:29
I will keep an eye open for upcoming events. I have not been able to make any since ROCKCON to include missing Little wars. I saw the post for WoG this weekend, but unfortunately it is my drill weekend. My flying skills are getting weak. :embarass:

7eat51
05-30-2013, 13:03
I registered an SoG event for Sunday morning at Rock-Con, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. It can accommodate up to 8 players. Four British versus four French, with a few transport ships thrown in the mix.

7eat51
06-05-2013, 23:36
Madison WI Gaming Convention

There is a gaming convention in Madison WI this coming November. The hosts are looking for events. I might run SoG.

Con info: http://www.gameholecon.com/

HMS Lydia
06-06-2013, 12:21
November is Command Con here in St. Louis.