PDA

View Full Version : On this day 17 April - Battle of Martinique

7eat51
04-17-2013, 06:08
On the 17th of April 1780, British and French ships engaged in the Battle of Martinique in the West Indies. The French, under the command of Comte de Guichen, setoff from Martinique a few days earlier, hoping the British would follow. After drawing the British to sea, de Guichen planned on fleeing from his pursuers and attack either the base from which the British sailed or one located at Barbados. The British, under the command of Admiral Sir George Rodney, spotted the French ships on the 16th, and pursued them throughout the day and night. During the morning hours of the 17th, the British fleet had closed on the rear of the French, to which de Guichen responded by changing direction and elongating his line. For the next several hours, Rodney maneuvered his fleet into position to attack the center and rear of de Guichen’s line, hoping to inflict significant damage before the front of the French fleet would be able to engage. Rodney signaled to his captains to attack matched ships with the understanding that the rear of the French line was the target. Robert Carkett, commander of the lead British ship HMS Stirling Castle, instead moved toward the front of de Guichen’s line, drawing the British into a ship-to-ship engagement. The French commanders’ swift actions, along with Comte de Grasse’s drawing together of the French line, converted near defeat into a draw. After the battle, charges of blame were levied between Rodney, Carkett, and other officers for the lack of a British victory.

Comte de Guichen:

Comte de Grasse:

Sir George Rodney:

The Battle:

For information on today’s event:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Martinique_(1780)

Berthier
04-17-2013, 06:59
That's more like it Eric, a French ...err... draw. :swordright:

7eat51
04-17-2013, 07:08
That's more like it Eric, a French ...err... draw. :swordright:

Trust me, I have been looking for French victories. Always keeping you in mind my Friend.

Berthier
04-17-2013, 07:16
Trust me, I have been looking for French victories. Always keeping you in mind my Friend.:hatsoff::medal:

tmon
04-17-2013, 08:42
It was a French and USA strategic victory. If the British had crushed the French fleet there would have been no French fleet at Yorktown the following year.

7eat51
04-17-2013, 14:41
True; similarly, the French were hoping to attack British bases, but the inability to escape battle prevented that.

csadn
04-17-2013, 14:53
Be interesting to see which sides of the Tory-Whig political battles which were hamstringing the RN at the time each of the name British commanders was on....

Berthier
04-17-2013, 19:30
Rodney was a supporter of Lord North's Government (Tory)