PDA

View Full Version : KS Conformation

Gunner
04-16-2013, 15:20
Does anyone know when Ares will ask for the pledges to be itemized?

Coog
04-16-2013, 15:24
Based on past kickstarters, I would think at least a month.

Gunner
04-16-2013, 16:34
Thanks Bob.

The Barrelman
04-16-2013, 16:49
From past KS projects I pledged, They ask for the specifics about a few months before shipping. So, maybe early June...

RichardPF
04-16-2013, 16:51
"Your Payment to BlissPoint, Inc has succeeded"

I received an email with this title about 15 minutes after the KS ended.
I am assuming that all US based backers got one just like it. :minis:

-------------------

At almost the same time, an email from KS included the following sentence:

When your reward is ready, Ares Games will send you a survey via email to request any info needed to deliver your reward (mailing address, T-shirt size, etc).

Which kind of suggests the email from Ares may not happen for some time.

Gunner
04-16-2013, 16:56
I got the first part, not the second..

bcoon
04-16-2013, 16:58
Same here.

RichardPF
04-16-2013, 17:05
I got the first part, not the second..

The email from KS has the title:

Thanks to you, Sails of Glory - Miniatures Ship Combat by Ares Games has been successfully funded!

Gunner
04-16-2013, 17:13
Not yet, maybe later.

Berthier
04-16-2013, 17:26

-------------------

When your reward is ready, Ares Games will send you a survey via email to request any info needed to deliver your reward (mailing address, T-shirt size, etc).

Got both messages in Australia. Now just sit on my hands for 4-5 months...still been doing that for 18 months already :cry:

Diamondback
04-16-2013, 17:32
Well, we can sit on our hands, or...

We can be proactive, and help them get a jump-shot on future new and reprint waves! Which means researching significant ship classes, identifying famous members of them (remember, we need three, preferably two country-of-origin plus a reflag), identifying new classes that can be represented by existing or announced sculpts...

We can sit around and wait, or we can help Ares make a bigger and better game, and possibly help expedite development of future waves and expansions. Who's on board with this? :minis: :minis: :minis:

Cmmdre
04-16-2013, 18:05
If Ares needs our help, then we will come to their aid. Count me in. :minis:

Diamondback
04-16-2013, 18:41
There's "need" and then there's "unsolicited preemptive strike". LOL I'm working on more the latter myself... trying to assemble all the data so that all they need to do is select two pairs of balancing sculpts, select three ships from each as "Side A" and mini-paint and three as "Side B", and then wait for the cash-flows to put it into production... if we can get enough data together to give Andrea a complete package about "Every possible candidate for SoG 1660-1820, all with comparative historical stats and related or lookalike/near-lookalike designs" then that should help us get additional hits of our Plastic Crack that much faster, right?

Cmmdre
04-16-2013, 18:51
There's "need" and then there's "unsolicited preemptive strike". LOL I'm working on more the latter myself... trying to assemble all the data so that all they need to do is select two pairs of balancing sculpts, select three ships from each as "Side A" and mini-paint and three as "Side B", and then wait for the cash-flows to put it into production... if we can get enough data together to give Andrea a complete package about "Every possible candidate for SoG 1660-1820, all with comparative historical stats and related or lookalike/near-lookalike designs" then that should help us get our Plastic Crack that much faster, right?

Every possible candidate from 1660 - 1820 is a tall order Commodore Diamondback. It would be a learning experience for me. I like the way you think though. Why wait indeed.:thumbsup:

Berthier
04-16-2013, 18:57
There's "need" and then there's "unsolicited preemptive strike". LOL I'm working on more the latter myself... trying to assemble all the data so that all they need to do is select two pairs of balancing sculpts, select three ships from each as "Side A" and mini-paint and three as "Side B", and then wait for the cash-flows to put it into production... if we can get enough data together to give Andrea a complete package about "Every possible candidate for SoG 1660-1820, all with comparative historical stats and related or lookalike/near-lookalike designs" then that should help us get additional hits of our Plastic Crack that much faster, right?

I was metaphorically sitting on my hands :salute: I think if you want to go down the every candidate path you'll need a separate forum similar to the stats one on WOG. By having all the discussions in one place it will make things much easier to track. The forum could be divided into separate SOL and smaller ship discussion groups again to aid tracking of the info. It can be pretty hard to follow where people post stuff as it is at the moment so a centralised forum would be ideal. Perhaps we can ask Keith about this?

Cmmdre
04-16-2013, 19:08
I was metaphorically sitting on my hands :salute: I think if you want to go down the every candidate path you'll need a separate forum similar to the stats one on WOG. By having all the discussions in one place it will make things much easier to track. The forum could be divided into separate SOL and smaller ship discussion groups again to aid tracking of the info. It can be pretty hard to follow where people post stuff as it is at the moment so a centralised forum would be ideal. Perhaps we can ask Keith about this?

That sounds like an excellent idea Daniel. Otherwise as you state it can be hard to follow. Also Andrea can have easy access to all the collected data and our discussions pro and con with each candidate. :talk:

Diamondback
04-16-2013, 19:25
Just so you know, I'm approaching this not from the "board stats" side as a gamer, but as a scale modeler looking at it from a sculpting and tooling angle. Kinda "figure out how we can group ships to share physical sculpts wherever possible, then let the math guys debate the stats for the Ship Log," like I did with my poll on re-uses for the HMS Victory sculpt. :)

RichardPF
04-16-2013, 19:34
The two following posts from Ares on the KS comments page would seem to suggest that they already have the list of backers.
I wonder if that means the "extra cash designation" emails will not take all that long to arrive.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Creator Ares Games about 4 hours ago

Let's fire a salve for Rob Huddleston- his pledge at 22:48 CET got us, together with the other 1181 ones, beyond the last goal!

Creator Ares Games about 4 hours ago

And we've even got a pledge canceled 10 minutes ago!

The Royal Hajj
04-16-2013, 20:06
I think we are going to see a survey from them sooner than later. There are really only 3 months to get the info from all the backers so they know how many of each product to make. The KS exclusive ships, all of my accessories and most likely the chit bags, are being made only in the numbers required to fulfill the KS pledges. My products will have more made in anticipation of the official release of the game, but they will not be counted along with Ares "allotment". I say give them a couple of day or a week to work out how best to do all of this and then start looking for your survey.

If I find out more, I'll post it up here for everyone.

Andy Blozinski
04-16-2013, 21:10
I was going to up my pledge, but I figure I need to save some initial sales for the game store I'll be doing test run demos at. This also lowers the shock factor from the wife. There's at least another $100 in basics I figure I'll need already without getting fancy.

7eat51
04-17-2013, 05:54
Just so you know, I'm approaching this not from the "board stats" side as a gamer, but as a scale modeler looking at it from a sculpting and tooling angle. Kinda "figure out how we can group ships to share physical sculpts wherever possible, then let the math guys debate the stats for the Ship Log," like I did with my poll on re-uses for the HMS Victory sculpt. :)

DB, I am willing to help. Give me something narrowly specific to work on.

Berthier
04-17-2013, 07:13

The stats might be able to be done by pooling stats from previous games, I probably have at least half a dozen board games on the period and several rules sets. We dont need to re-invent the wheel on those, comparative analysis of existing Ares ships stats to those used for the samé ships in other systems is a good starting point. Then a comparison to whatever primary sources on armament, length etc. we can lay our hands on to check for consistency with the figures derived. It is clearly very difficult to get some of those primary figures, ships weapons changed with time and situation, ships performance declined with time at sea and thus it goes.

A ships data thus might begin with the ideal of the slipway build and could be degraded for age, wear and tear or upgraded for re-arming, refits etc. A ship in some sense then is a lving thing constantly changing, it's stats varying with time and place. We cant take everything into consideration but the same "build" could be used but with several different ships cards and logs to show some of the evolution of the vessel. Thus we might be able to suggest to Ares to produce ship card/log packs for models already in production to show these changes and allow for a wider scope of gaming from the small number of models available.

Then the question moves to DB's ideas of finding models that will fit a multiplicity of paint schemes and nationalities (due to capture or copying) and deciding which are the best candidates. So two aspects to the same goal, multiple ship models for the same design and multiple stats for a single ship.

Just ideas blaze away.

DeRuyter
04-17-2013, 10:33

-------------------

I got this one as well. However I also received a KS update e-mail (#35) which stated in part:

"We are now working on the survey (unfortunately, the way KS is set, the survey can not be prepared in advance of the end of the project).

In the coming days we will contact you to verify your choice of rewards and options, your address and contact info, and everything else that is required to process rewards. You will have the option to increase your pledge if you want to, using Paypal to process the payment.

You are welcome to double-check your choice of options and if to verify they match your pledge using the excellent pledge calculator created by our backer Robert J. Finamore, of Markorama Games and Hobby (www.markor anagames.com), one of the Admirals of our Fleet."

This suggests we may see something sooner rather than later. I for one need to adjuster my extras because of the last stretch goal being achieved!

Eric

GrouperKicker
04-17-2013, 11:13
Here is the Ares reply on how the Survey will work and some insight into timing:
"We will handle it as follows:
1) we send out the survey.
2) You confirm the options you want.
3) If the pledge is less than the minimum required for your pledge level + options you want (for example because you have second thoughts about some items or you forgot) you can make a Paypal payment to match the difference.
4) If the pledge is more than the minimum, you can add options to match your pledge.
There will be a very limited time to do so, because the KS-exclusive items will be made in quantities which match the request (with may be 2-3% added to handle mistakes, like damages or lost shipments), so we need to have the quantities confirmed by the end of April. Unlimited items may be added even later, until the KS rewards ship."

DeRuyter
04-17-2013, 11:34
Here is the Ares reply on how the Survey will work and some insight into timing:
3) If the pledge is less than the minimum required for your pledge level + options you want (for example because you have second thoughts about some items or you forgot) you can make a Paypal payment to match the difference.
4) If the pledge is more than the minimum, you can add options to match your pledge.
There will be a very limited time to do so, because the KS-exclusive items will be made in quantities which match the request (with may be 2-3% added to handle mistakes, like damages or lost shipments), so we need to have the quantities confirmed by the end of April. Unlimited items may be added even later, until the KS rewards ship."

Thanks Scott!

Diamondback
04-17-2013, 20:29
Guys, I'm going to set up a Google Documents spreadsheet for the raw dimensional and armament data... if anybody'd like to be added as co-editors once I think I've got a foundation ready to start building on, and I've asked another of the group who've been advising Andrea if he'll give me a cross-check before I post it and open it up to crowdsourcing, send me a PM with your email address and once it's ready I'll add you to the Authorized Contributors list and send you the link. :)

pward
04-19-2013, 13:26
I've been away for a few days and was surprised to see they made the 275,000 goal... WOW! I am excited, free chit bags. So glad I got in on this deal!

Gunner
04-19-2013, 15:39
I've been away for a few days and was surprised to see they made the 275,000 goal... WOW! I am excited, free chit bags. So glad I got in on this deal!

So say we all.

pward
04-20-2013, 07:09
Guys, I'm going to set up a Google Documents spreadsheet for the raw dimensional and armament data... if anybody'd like to be added as co-editors once I think I've got a foundation ready to start building on, and I've asked another of the group who've been advising Andrea if he'll give me a cross-check before I post it and open it up to crowdsourcing, send me a PM with your email address and once it's ready I'll add you to the Authorized Contributors list and send you the link. :)

Thanks for doing this Diamondback... I don't think I have the knowledge in this area to contribute, but will most certainly benefit from your efforts.

Cmmdre
04-20-2013, 07:29
Thank you for posting this excellent information Scott. :happy:

Avi
04-20-2013, 07:47
Ares might be a bit optimistic - on another KS I pledged to it took KS a week to transfer the funds,
and only then they could send off the surveys.

Managing the survey responses is manual work apparently and they do have 1183 responses to check...

pward
04-20-2013, 09:56
Ares might be a bit optimistic - on another KS I pledged to it took KS a week to transfer the funds,
and only then they could send off the surveys.

Managing the survey responses is manual work apparently and they do have 1183 responses to check...

I have already been billed for my original pledge.

Avi
04-20-2013, 11:01
The billing is done by KS - then they transfer the money to Ares

101radioman
04-20-2013, 20:45
So is anyone else checking their inbox more them normal waiting for the survey? Or is it just me! Hehe

Gunner
04-20-2013, 20:57
Mine is always on. I peek every time I walk by it.

Diamondback
04-20-2013, 21:13
Thunderbird pops up a message for every incoming email, so I'm not worried. When it comes out, I'll know. :)

Cmmdre
04-20-2013, 22:13
I'm a member of Sails of Glory and when it comes in I'll know. There will be around 250 users letting each other know. :talk:

Diamondback
04-20-2013, 22:24
LOL, yah... our rumor network'll get the word spread faster than the stalkerazzi would if one of us bedded a Playmate of the Month. LOL :D

Gunner
04-20-2013, 22:52
I should be so lucky.

Cmmdre
04-20-2013, 22:59
LOL, yah... our rumor network'll get the word spread faster than the stalkerazzi would if one of us bedded a Playmate of the Month. LOL :D

You know it. :talk: :talk: :talk: :talk: