PDA

View Full Version : An SGN Convention?

GreenLaborMike
04-15-2013, 17:39
I think everyone would agree that Anchorage is an amazing community, and I for one am so glad to have found this place. I know many of you already have ideas about running games at your local game conventions, but I seem to have this knack of dreaming improbable achievements. In this case, I wondered if it would be possible (and desirable) to organize a small convention with SGN and Anchorage as the primary focus, and Napoleonic era naval and military themed games more generally.
If not a separate convention, how about coordinating to ensure a large presence at an established convention like Origins or GenCon? In addition to the fact that I would greatly enjoy meeting many of you in person, it seems like the right thing to do to give SGN as high a profile as possible to promote the game to the wider gaming community.

This is just an idea...feel free to call me crazy - you won't be the first. :wink:

Nightmoss
04-15-2013, 17:58
Organizing something at either Origins or GenCon sounds like a great idea. A separate convention would be fun, but maybe a little harder to get off the ground?

I've attended GenCon off and on since it started in Lake Geneva, WI, and I'm planning to attend again this year in August. Count me in for anything that might materialize. I will be signing up for other games (Leviathans, Star Wars X Wing, Axis and Allies, World War I, etc.), but would certainly rearrange my schedule to partake of anything SGN related.

Thanks for starting this thread. :salute:

pward
04-19-2013, 13:33
I've never attended a gaming convention, but SGN might enticie me to attend one... if it was close.

7eat51
04-19-2013, 13:39
I've never attended a gaming convention, but SGN might enticie me to attend one... if it was close.

Origins (a big one) is in Columbus Ohio: http://www.originsgamefair.com/

GreenLaborMike
04-19-2013, 13:43
Origins (a big one) is in Columbus Ohio: http://www.originsgamefair.com/

As stated elsewhere, Keith will be there running several SGN events. I so wish I could go!

pward
04-19-2013, 13:46
As stated elsewhere, Keith will be there running several SGN events. I so wish I could go!

Columbus is only 2 1/2 hours away... hmmm:hmmm:

Gaz67
04-19-2013, 13:52
I'd love to go to more shows, distance is my problem.
Going to "Carronade", which is in Falkirk, on the 11th of May. It's a small affair 30 or so traders, same again in games.
It's one of the closest to me but it's still a 3 hour drive down the A9 to get there (**for Highlanders going South is down and in reverse we go "Up North")
As a bonus we do get some of the best views in the world to help pass the time.

**Also of note, anyone living further South than you is a soft southerner. :happy:

7eat51
04-19-2013, 13:54

My wife and I are planning on going. It would be nice to meet you if you go.

PM me soon for some additional info if you think you might go.

csadn
04-19-2013, 15:07

For some of us, it's rather longer.... :P

pward
04-20-2013, 07:06
My wife and I are planning on going. It would be nice to meet you if you go.

PM me soon for some additional info if you think you might go.

Hey Eric, the dates are a real possibility for me. If I can interest my boys (ages 20 and 22) that Saturday the 16th, I think we will do it (family day pass for $15 is a bargain).

7eat51
04-20-2013, 10:58
Hey Eric, the dates are a real possibility for me. If I can interest my boys (ages 20 and 22) that Saturday the 16th, I think we will do it (family day pass for $15 is a bargain).

That would be great. Between SoG and WoG alone, there will be a lot of great people to meet and gaming to play. As the time approaches, let's keep each other abreast of plans. It would be nice to have an SoG meet-n-greet.

pward
04-20-2013, 11:52
That would be great. Between SoG and WoG alone, there will be a lot of great people to meet and gaming to play. As the time approaches, let's keep each other abreast of plans. It would be nice to have an SoG meet-n-greet.

Will do.

PirateBlake
04-20-2013, 13:23
Adding it to an existing convention might be a better way to start. Build the excitement for a year or two and question those that participate if they would attend a SGN only style event?

However, I am already working on holding a SGN summer class next year on two school campuses. This game would be awesome for the classroom.

Cya