PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone!

pward
04-14-2013, 13:11
Well I was invited to introduce myself in this thread a few days ago and I am just now getting around to it...

First, I am very excited about the new Sails of Glory game. I love the age of sail. My first model as a kid was the USS Constitution (Revell)! I have always wanted to try and model the 1:1200 age of sail stuff but don't really have the time and skills, so a game with simple rules (of various complexity) and pre-constructed/painted models is a big draw. I do plan to try my hand at some simple rigging and will be relying on some of you experts for guidance.

I am not completely foreign to Naval War gaming as I own, play and enjoy the Axis and Allies War at Sea stuff (too bad the company that created this game could not follow through to its completion:sad:), however, I love the Age of Sail period in Naval history more than any other period and so this new game and this awesome forum to support it is a welcome change for the time I can set aside for hobbying.

Did I say I love the Age of Sail?, I love the A&E Horatio Hornblower series, and Hollywoods "Master and Commander." The movies got me started on the Aubry/Maturin series (I'm on book 10) and this game is just going to add to the enjoyment of reading the books, just as the books will add to the enjoyment of of playing the game... can't wait!!!

I won't say exatly how old I am, but I was born in the sixties, am married and have a fairly large family. My older boys (who are really young adults) are also very excited about the new game, which is great for me because I'll have some instant SoG opponants.

P.s., in case your wondering what ship that is in my Avitar... well thats the very first USS Enterprise!

The Barrelman
04-14-2013, 13:20
Welcome!! I am like you. I wanted to try out painting my own models but do not have the skill to do it well. This type of product is perfect and Ares will do a great job just like their Wings products.

:salute:

Coog
04-14-2013, 13:20
Welcome aboard Paul!

Cmmdre
04-14-2013, 13:21
Welcome to Anchorage Paul. Glad to have you on board. :salute:

Gaz67
04-14-2013, 13:31
Greetings

Coog
04-14-2013, 14:26
Well I was invited to introduce myself in this thread a few days ago and I am just now getting around to it...

First, I am very excited about the new Sails of Glory game. I love the age of sail. My first model as a kid was the USS Constitution (Revell)! I have always wanted to try and model the 1:1200 age of sail stuff but don't really have the time and skills, so a game with simple rules (of various complexity) and pre-constructed/painted models is a big draw. I do plan to try my hand at some simple rigging and will be relying on some of you experts for guidance.

I am not completely foreign to Naval War gaming as I own, play and enjoy the Axis and Allies War at Sea stuff (too bad the company that created this game could not follow through to its completion:sad:), however, I love the Age of Sail period in Naval history more than any other period and so this new game and this awesome forum to support it is a welcome change for the time I can set aside for hobbying.

Did I say I love the Age of Sail?, I love the A&E Horatio Hornblower series, and Hollywoods "Master and Commander." The movies got me started on the Aubry/Maturin series (I'm on book 10) and this game is just going to add to the enjoyment of reading the books, just as the books will add to the enjoyment of of playing the game... can't wait!!!

I won't say exatly how old I am, but I was born in the sixties, am married and have a fairly large family. My older boys (who are really young adults) are also very excited about the new game, which is great for me because I'll have some instant SoG opponants.

P.s., in case your wondering what ship that is in my Avitar... well thats the very first USS Enterprise!

If you have not yet read it, Knights of the Sea is good book about the Enterprise. It can be found real cheap on eBay. Here's a link in the Book Reviews thread:

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?549-Knights-of-the-Sea

Beowulf03809
04-14-2013, 16:04
Ahoy and welcome!
:rum:

pward
04-14-2013, 16:25
If you have not yet read it, Knights of the Sea is good book about the Enterprise. It can be found real cheap on eBay. Here's a link in the Book Reviews thread:

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?549-Knights-of-the-Sea

Thanks for the link and recommendation, I'll check it out. I'm working on "Six Frigates" at the moment.

Nightmoss
04-14-2013, 17:39
Welcome Paul. You will find the people here a fantastic resource. Not only for SoG, but for tons of other stuff as well.

sc00t0
04-14-2013, 20:14
Welcome aboard, Paul!:salute:

7eat51
04-14-2013, 20:36
Thanks for the link and recommendation, I'll check it out. I'm working on "Six Frigates" at the moment.

Glad you made it over here, Paul. I just ordered Six Frigates. Would like to hear what you think when you're finished.

Naharaht
04-14-2013, 21:11
Welcome to the Anchorage, Paul.

Sea Gull
04-15-2013, 01:33
Welcome aboard Paul. :rum:

Gunner
04-15-2013, 18:09
Howdy Paul:beer: Welcome from Arizona.

Berthier
04-15-2013, 23:07
Welcome Paul, like you I had the Revell Constitution and also the Cutty Sark, built the models but never fully rigged them. Great memories. Enjoy the Anchorage

pward
04-16-2013, 06:55
Welcome Paul, like you I had the Revell Constitution and also the Cutty Sark, built the models but never fully rigged them. Great memories. Enjoy the Anchorage

Berthier, I had the Cutty Sak as well, well my father did and he died, my mom gave it to me (I was only 7) but I never finished it - a little too much. I wonder if the Cutty Sark falls within this era, probably too late.

PirateBlake
04-16-2013, 07:00
Welcome Aboard Paul.

Berthier
04-16-2013, 07:09
Berthier, I had the Cutty Sak as well, well my father did and he died, my mom gave it to me (I was only 7) but I never finished it - a little too much. I wonder if the Cutty Sark falls within this era, probably too late.
Yes she comes after our period but was so fast, one of the clippers, she sailed well into the age of steam. My father built the kearsage a steam driven ACW ship as well....must have been in the late 60's also a revel model I think. I should have kept that one but you don't think about memories when you are young, you just live in the moment. Still I suppose I do still have the memories!

crashx
04-24-2013, 10:14
Hello, welcome to the group!!!