PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see in SOG?

Berthier
12-03-2011, 23:00
Well we know it's coming, but maybe it's not too late to put a hand up and ask for some things to be included that may not yet be. I've thought about all the naval games I've played, some complex and some simple and tried to list many of the facets they have covered. Some were so complex they were a pain to play, I think SOG would be developed to err on the less complex (to make it more accessible to people) even though it will be more difficult than WOG..

So to start the ball rolling on discussion of features you might (or might not!) like here's a list of the top of my head..

Gunnery
Double shot, chain shot, grape shot, gunnery accuracy and rate of fire linked to crew quality, aimed fire (mast vs hull), bonus for carronades vs crew

Sailing
variation of ships sailing performance dependent on ship type, nation and attitude to the wind, penalties for ships that have not be in dock for years, coastal sailing (shoals, lee shore etc), "cutting out" battles, gunnery limitations with high seas (lower ports closed), drift, towing, ship formations, anchoring, wind changes of direction and strength

Battles
Grappling, fouling, collisions, boarding, ship damage effects to masts & hull and crew, explosions, fires, loss of rudder, command control and chain of command, night battles, fixed fortifications, surrender and prizes

Other stuff
Promotions (sort of like aces)

David Manley
12-04-2011, 00:13
I'd like to see enough variation in the ship stats so that the game really works well for frigate actions. Many AoS rules do well at covering large actions involving many ships of the line but the gradation of ship stats often means that ships at the smaller end get short shrift and are extremely "samey". I'd like to see the system clearly differntiate between a 44, a 38, a 36 armed with 18pdrs, a similar ship with 12pdrs, a 24 with 9pdrs, and cutters, sloops etc.

The Cowman
12-04-2011, 07:40
David I bet eventually you get your wish...

Tommy Z
12-04-2011, 10:31
I'd like to see enough variation in the ship stats so that the game really works well for frigate actions. Many AoS rules do well at covering large actions involving many ships of the line but the gradation of ship stats often means that ships at the smaller end get short shrift and are extremely "samey". I'd like to see the system clearly differntiate between a 44, a 38, a 36 armed with 18pdrs, a similar ship with 12pdrs, a 24 with 9pdrs, and cutters, sloops etc.

I agree. These differences add alot to the flavor of the game and skill of the player. I prefer the small fast craft myself.

Bligh
12-05-2011, 01:12
Bow chasers.
Rob.

Berthier
12-05-2011, 05:25
David
yes I think the system will have good ship differentiation like WOG does between aircraft. Subtle differences in maneuver decks, crew quality, etc will hopefully allow the differences between, and within, ship classes to shine through.

Old Salt
12-05-2011, 07:21
David
yes I think the system will have good ship differentiation like WOG does between aircraft. Subtle differences in maneuver decks, crew quality, etc will hopefully allow the differences between, and within, ship classes to shine through. I also hope so , it would be a shame if all ships were generic with little or no difference