PDA

View Full Version : Greetings!

Nightmoss
04-11-2013, 12:38
New member to this site, but not to gaming/wargaming. My first wargame was Bismark by Avalon Hill way back in the distant past. Then Jutland and Wooden Ships and Iron Men, etc. I've also played many naval pc computer games, but I've never gotten involved in naval miniatures (Jutland was sort of, kind of a minis game). I have tried and enjoyed playing the steampunk minis game from Catalyst Games called Leviathans, but I don't think it's got much traction in the local gaming community.

I stumbled on Sails accidentally via other KS pledges and now I'm hooked. More importantly, I have talked to folks at my FLGS (The Last Square) and I'm pretty certain SoG is going to do very well as WoG is very popular there.

Looking forward to joining in the community although I tend to read more than post. Clearly there are many knowledgeable folks here so I'm sure the learning will be fun and fruitful.

Cheers,

Jim

Gaz67
04-11-2013, 12:47
Welcome from Bonny Scotland Jim, have fun!

Beowulf03809
04-11-2013, 12:59
Ahoy and welcome! Looks like a lot of us cut our gaming teeth on AH.

:rum:

Sea Gull
04-11-2013, 14:55
Welcome from the Kingdom of Holland, Jim. There's plenty of good stuff to read even though we haven't got the game yet. :happy:

The Barrelman
04-11-2013, 15:05
Welcome to the fun of SGN!!

:salute:

7eat51
04-11-2013, 15:28
Welcome from the state just below, Jim.

If I may ask, where in Wisconsin do you live? We have a group of northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin folks who get together for WoG, and will undoubtedly do the same with SoG. Even if you're a Packers fan, the invitation remains.

Nightmoss
04-11-2013, 16:19
Welcome from the state just below, Jim.

If I may ask, where in Wisconsin do you live? We have a group of northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin folks who get together for WoG, and will undoubtedly do the same with SoG. Even if you're a Packers fan, the invitation remains.

Thanks for the welcomes, all. I'm located in Madison, which is about an hour from the state line (via I90). I'm a Packers fan, but hardly a rabid one, so the Bears are OK by me. :)

7eat51
04-11-2013, 16:34
Great place. Madison is a town we enjoy visiting - for this reason alone: http://www.letoile-restaurant.com/.

I was stationed at Truax Field 20 years ago.

There are many of us just south on I-39, from Chicagoland, and from Milwaukee. I will let you know when we have events.

Coog
04-11-2013, 16:43
Welcome aboard Jim!

Nightmoss
04-11-2013, 17:07
Great place. Madison is a town we enjoy visiting - for this reason alone: http://www.letoile-restaurant.com/.

I was stationed at Truax Field 20 years ago.

There are many of us just south on I-39, from Chicagoland, and from Milwaukee. I will let you know when we have events.

I've lived in Madison for 36 years and have never taken the opportunity to eat there. By all accounts it is a wonderful experience. Ovens of Brittany, though long gone, was my preferred place to take visitors and/or indulge myself.

7eat51
04-11-2013, 17:16
I've lived in Madison for 36 years and have never taken the opportunity to eat there.

Then you haven't lived, but only resided, there. :wink:

We have driven to Madison just for dinner at L'Etoile. We need to go this summer and check out the new location.

Gunner
04-11-2013, 17:54
the Bears are OK by me. :) You have good taste.

Welcome:beer: from Arizona, Jim.

Cmmdre
04-11-2013, 17:56
Welcome aboard Jim from a fellow Wisconsinite.

Berthier
04-12-2013, 06:04
New member to this site, but not to gaming/wargaming. My first wargame was Bismark by Avalon Hill way back in the distant past. Then Jutland and Wooden Ships and Iron Men, etc. I've also played many naval pc computer games, but I've never gotten involved in naval miniatures (Jutland was sort of, kind of a minis game). I have tried and enjoyed playing the steampunk minis game from Catalyst Games called Leviathans, but I don't think it's got much traction in the local gaming community.

I stumbled on Sails accidentally via other KS pledges and now I'm hooked. More importantly, I have talked to folks at my FLGS (The Last Square) and I'm pretty certain SoG is going to do very well as WoG is very popular there.

Looking forward to joining in the community although I tend to read more than post. Clearly there are many knowledgeable folks here so I'm sure the learning will be fun and fruitful.

Cheers,

Jim

Welcome Jim, many of us cut our teeth on Jutland and WSIM so you are in good company. Played several naval PC games,my favourite oldy was Carriers at War bit dated now and of course Harpoon what a great game that was.

Nightmoss
04-12-2013, 10:42
Welcome Jim, many of us cut our teeth on Jutland and WSIM so you are in good company. Played several naval PC games,my favourite oldy was Carriers at War bit dated now and of course Harpoon what a great game that was.

Ah, yes. I still have Carriers at War sitting on the shelf. It might be dated, but it's still available for purchase: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/337/details/Carriers.at.War As is Harpoon: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/392/details/Larry.Bond%27s.Harpoon.-.Ultimate.Edition

Comte de Brueys
04-14-2013, 05:47
Bonjour, Jim.

Welcome on board. :salute: