PDA

View Full Version : Vale Margaret Thatcher

Berthier
04-08-2013, 06:56
Whatever your feelings towards her, the passing of the former Prime Minister of the UK Margaret Thatcher marks the end of an interesting period in British history. The last Prime Minister to send her fleet to defend the Empire (more recent actions in Middle East don't count for me) the like of her kind may never been seen again.

Rest in Peace:salute:

Beowulf03809
04-08-2013, 08:19
Though I dwell across the sea, she WAS the PM for most of my life, at least all my formative years. Rest peacefully.

7eat51
04-08-2013, 09:08
I truly respected Prime Minister Thatcher.

R.I.P. dear Lady.

Diamondback
04-08-2013, 17:34
Vaya con Dios, Iron Lady--you are missed.

And the last piece of the troika that won the Cold War passes into history... sadly, so many are already eager to forget if not deliberately bury the lessons that her time has taught.

Capt P
04-09-2013, 15:46
A salute to her because she was truely the Iron Lady. Stood up for what she beleived in and was a great friend to the US. I am glad to have lived in the time of such great people.

Devsdoc
04-09-2013, 18:46
Hi Guy's
Note! No U.K. postings!!!!!!
Be safe
Rory

Coog
04-09-2013, 18:55
I can't believe there are people celebrating her death in the streets in the UK.

7eat51
04-09-2013, 19:14
I can't believe there are people celebrating her death in the streets in the UK.

Are you serious? If this is happening it is because people like Prime Minister Thatcher helped secure their freedom to behave so disrespectfully. Sad. Very sad.

Cmmdre
04-09-2013, 19:26
Rest in peace Maggie.:salute: I respected her because she could dish it out with brass balls that many of her male counterparts lacked. Tough old broad from the working-class. Too bad some lack the decency to show respect for a woman who has just passed after a long slide into dementia. Tragic way to go.

Devsdoc
04-09-2013, 20:03

Are you serious? If this is happening it is because people like Prime Minister Thatcher helped secure their freedom to behave so disrespectfully. Sad. Very sad.

Hi Guys
Yes! It happen. But lots of people losts jobs and whole working class towns/villages had there hearts tore out of them. No she is no friend of mine. I wish for no ones death, and would not celebrate it. I think this thread should close.
Sorry! but be safe
Rory

Cmmdre
04-09-2013, 20:13
Hi Guys
Yes! It happen. But lots of people losts jobs and whole working class towns/villages had there hearts tore out of them. No she is no friend of mine. I wish for no ones death, and would not celebrate it. I think this thread should close.
Sorry! but be safe
Rory
I think we should respect Rory's wishes. Touchy political subject to some.

Berthier
04-09-2013, 21:55
Hi Guys
Sorry! but be safe
Rory

Apologies if this opened old wounds, I was particularly careful in my wording of the post to try and avoid this. My main reason for posting was this was the last time the British fleet exercised it's muscle in defense of empire and I doubt we will ever see it again. Since the age of sail IS the British empire in all it's finery, I thought the passing worth noting. I am suitably chastised however and will avoid such references in future!

does avoidance of British postings include cricket, football, the Beatles and Rolling Stones.....

Devsdoc
04-09-2013, 22:25
Hi Guy's
I could go on all day about this, good and bad. But this is political thingl. I thought this site was non-political. From the out side she would have seemed a great person But I have seen the flip side of her Political drive. No Daniel, You have the right to say what you wish and I will defend your right to say it. She stopped some in the U.K. from having that right. For me that is so wong. May she rest in peace.
Be safe
Rory

David Manley
04-09-2013, 23:09
Hi Guy's
I could go on all day about this, good and bad. But this is political thingl. I thought this site was non-political. From the out side she would have seemed a great person But I have seen the flip side of her Political drive. No Daniel, You have the right to say what you wish and I will defend your right to say it. She stopped some in the U.K. from having that right. For me that is so wong. May she rest in peace.
Be safe
Rory

You don't want political comment but you can't resist making one anyway. Ok......

Not sure who's rights to free speech you think she stopped.

Yes, her policies did affect many industries, mining in particular. But those industries were dead and buried at that point anyway, anyone who thought otherwise was living in cloud cuckoo land - many today still are. Driven into the ground because of poor management, poor government and poor union practices. Someone needed to do something. To not do so would have led to a situation that would have made today's austerity measures look like a boom time. Her predecessors, Wilson (the original "milk snatcher"), Heath and others were too timid to do anything, just content to kick the can down the road. You and others might not like everything she did. Hell, I didn't. But then I've never seen anyone put forward any credible alternatives. And its noticeable that her opponents did not exactly hurry to reverse her policies when she had gone. Quite the reverse in fact. You will find many on the other side of the political divide in the UK who were only too glad that she did what she did because it meant they didn't have to.

I can believe there are people dancing in the streets. Every community has its collection of sick individuals.

Anyway, as you say Rory, this isn't a political site.....

Horatio
04-10-2013, 06:43
Good riddance.
Don

Devsdoc
04-10-2013, 16:47
Hi Guys
Yes! It happen. I think this thread should close.
Sorry! but be safe
Rory

:pray: