Thread: On this day 22 March

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Default On this day 22 March

On the 22nd of March 1820, U.S. Commodore Stephen Decatur died after dueling with James Barron at Bladensburg, Maryland. Barron challenged Decatur to a dual in response to comments the younger Commodore made about him regarding his actions in the Chesapeake-Leopard Affair of 1807. In the spring of 1807, British authorities demanded that the U.S. turn over to them alleged deserters currently serving in the U.S. Navy. Neither Decatur nor Barron complied with the demand. On June 22, Barron, commanding the USS Chesapeake, set sail for the Mediterranean. The HMS Leopard pursued her and demanded to board the Chesapeake and look for deserters. Barron’s refusal was met with gunfire from the Leopard, and being unprepared for battle, Barron subsequently surrendered. For his actions, he faced a court-martial and was relieved of command for five years without pay. When Barron tried to be reinstated years later, Decatur, who had served on the court-martial panel, was highly vocal in his criticism of, and opposition to, Barron.

The two men’s seconds arranged for the duel to occur at 9:00 a.m. on the 22nd of March. Right before the appointed time, Barron spoke to Decatur about working things out between them, but the seconds did nothing to stop the duel. Barron’s second, Captain Jesse Elliot, did not care for Decatur, and, it appears, neither did Decatur’s own second, Commodore William Bainbridge. The face-to-face duel was set at only eight paces; alternatively, it was not uncommon for duels to include back-to-back stepping away with both parties turning to shoot at an appointed number of steps, often with neither party hitting each other. Decatur did not intend to kill Barron, but only to wound him. At the count of two, both men fired, hitting each other and falling to the ground. As they lay there, Barron stated that he completely forgave Decatur, and when Decatur was being taken away to receive medical attention, he cried for Barron to be taken also. Barron answered with “God bless you, Decatur” and Decatur responded “Farewell, farewell, Baron.”

U.S. Commodore Stephen Decatur:
    Name:  Stephen Decatur (U.S.).jpg
Views: 246
Size:  6.8 KB

U.S. Commodore James Barron:
    Name:  500px-James_Barron.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  142.3 KB

Decatur Boarding the Tripolitan Gunboat:
    Name:  Barbary War - Decatur Boarding the Tripolitan Gunboat.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  9.6 KB

U.S.S United States capturing the HMS Macedonian:
    Name:  BirchBattleBetweenTheUnitedStatesAndTheMacedonian.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  110.8 KB

What an amazingly pointless way to die. Not specifically for Decatur mind you, the principle of duelling is ridiculous, regardless of the mores of the time to risk life and limb over perceived character slights...just sue and be dammed. Otherwise at least you less lethal weapons than pistols. Swords to first blood, fish slapping or whatever.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    What an amazingly pointless way to die. Not specifically for Decatur mind you, the principle of duelling is ridiculous, regardless of the mores of the time to risk life and limb over perceived character slights...just sue and be dammed. Otherwise at least you less lethal weapons than pistols. Swords to first blood, fish slapping or whatever.
    I tend to agree, especially after reading about this particular duel. It seemed that right before the duel actually took place, Decatur and Barron could have reconciled. After they both were shot, it seems pretty evident they had some measure of regard and genuine care for each other, i.e. once pride was set aside. In some ways, dueling seemed less about honor and more about pride, though I am not discounting honor. The Navy was losing many officers to duels at this time - another senseless loss.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

According to local legend: At the location of the inn where Decatur spent the night preceding the duel, if one stands outside the building just before sunrise, one might see a shadowy figure in the garb of a US naval officer of the period stealing away from the building.

"In these highly-enlightened days, of course, no one believes a word of it."

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    At the location of the inn ... if one stands outside the building just before sunrise, one might see a shadowy figure in the garb of a US naval officer of the period stealing away from the building.
    When I was in the military, such sightings were relatively commonplace.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

This also happens to be my birthday, but I have not yet earned the notoriety for inclusion in such a fine list. I repeat..."not yet"

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf03809 View Post
    This also happens to be my birthday, but I have not yet earned the notoriety for inclusion in such a fine list. I repeat..."not yet"

Hopefully, it won't be by dueling. Happy B-Day.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Just went to the wiki site about Decatur. What a power player of his time. Too bad it was cut way too short.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Decatur

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

What I find especially disturbing about this particular scenario is how the primaries seemed less interested by the time the duel commenced than the secondaries. Truly a waste.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Instigators stirring the pot for their own gain. A waste for sure. 41 is too young to die. Bainbridge Island near where I live is named for William Bainbridge.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Instigator is a good word. I think dueling is one practice that was worth ceasing.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Instigator is a good word. I think dueling is one practice that was worth ceasing.
    At least the duel a l'outrance. "Duelling" of a sort is still practiced to this day -- on playgrounds, in bars, and pretty-much anywhere two people decide to show off how manly they are by beating seven bales of s*** out of each other.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

That's such a sexist thing to say. I've seen plenty of women engaging in such behavior as well.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

At least the duel a l'outrance. "Duelling" of a sort is still practiced to this day -- on playgrounds, in bars, and pretty-much anywhere two people decide to show off how manly they are by beating seven bales of s*** out of each other.
    I think a more diplomatic way to state it would be to say "show off how STUPID they are"

No that's brawling by roughians. Duelling was practiced by "civilized gentlemen."

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    No that's brawling by roughians. Duelling was practiced by "civilized gentlemen."
    True enough.

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Civilised, but still stupid.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

A virtue, like honor, remains a virtue when exercised in conjunction with other virtues, such as prudence, mercy, humility. In this scenario, with the primaries questioning the duel and their reaction once the shots were fired, it seems that pride, and an unhealthy orientation thereof, took center-stage.