Thread: Split release for Wave 4

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Default Split release for Wave 4

According to the Ares Games website Upcoming page the Wave 4 ships are going to be release in two batches - the 34-guns Mahonesa class Frigates and the 64-guns Ardent/ Intrepid/ Inflexible Ships-of-the-line in September followed by the 80-guns Bucentaure/Tonnant Ships-of-the-Line and the Bonhomme Richard / Ex-East Indiamen in October.
    http://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products

However, since September is nearly gone without any sign of the first two classes of ship, what do we believe?

Incidentally, has anyone seen any evidence of the re-release of the Starter Sets, yet?

Able Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alan

I did notice a few more starter sets appeared last time I did an ebay search recently.

My not so local store had a 2nd hand one with a price tag of about what I paid for my last new one.

RivalSky is supposed to be having some on the way I believe along with previous ship releases.

I really wish Ares was more open and forthcoming on information on reasons behind delays,
    and/or if reported issues being fixed?

It would certainly make the waiting a lot more bearable.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Alan, welcome to one of my great frustrations from the inside... I gave them a tool to address this ("Scotty's Law"*), and it seems to have seen only limited use.
    James T. Kirk: Mr. Scott. Have you always multiplied your repair estimates by a factor of four?
    Montgomery Scott: Certainly, sir. How else can I keep my reputation as a miracle worker?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

That's bad news as my orders contains ships from both waves so I will not get any till the last wave is released. As Snoppy would say "foiled again curse you red baron"

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Could well be another late Christmas present then!
    As you say DB, after the release of the ships earlier this year, I was not expecting the wave four until next spring. Then the wonderful news of another release this year. Far better for Ares to have broadcast a Spring 18 release and then brought them out in November. We would all have marvelled at their early arrival, rather than be disappointed as each month passes without the promise being made good.Half full soon becomes half empty in these circumstances.

Obviously despite your good advice, and their catastrophic stumble at the first hurdle with the Kickstarter fiasco, (of which we are still feeling the aftershock) they have obviously learned nothing about good marketing stratergy.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I also noticed, as did David, the split release date.
    I supose its a case they are coming............ honest guv

So let's wait...

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I only wish that would be due to fixing the fault of mixing up spankers on those two delayed ships.

I wouldn't bet on it though.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    I only wish that would be due to fixing the fault of mixing up spankers on those two delayed ships.

I wouldn't bet on it though.
    I just know you're right! The overall delay was for fixing the headsails and gave Ares a chance to recast the ships in a scale that matches Waves 1 and 2, and the later release takes care of the switched spankers....

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    I just know you're right! The overall delay was for fixing the headsails and gave Ares a chance to recast the ships in a scale that matches Waves 1 and 2, and the later release takes care of the switched spankers....
    That is fantastic news for me! My faith in Ares will be fully restored (...when I see it)!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Don't hold your breath, guys... despite my showing exactly how off they were and why, Ares' new engineer seems obstinate about plunging headlong into the Scale Change Abyss.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

This is the inverse of the GW scale creep. 25mm to 28mm to 32mm.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

The split release for Wave 4 was just confirmed on Facebook by Ares. They are showing the British 64s and the Spanish Mahonesa frigates being released on October 13. I was really looking forward to getting my hands on Bonhomme Richard, but I guess I'll just have to wait a little longer. I am going to grab most of this next release however.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Upcoming page on the Ares website now has all four classes of ships due for release in October.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

In brackets 13th US release for the 64's and Spanish frigates, so we will be waiting a bit longer unless ordered through the aa store

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Right on Chris.
    Even from the AA store Keith will have to wait for his delivery from the Distributor. Then sort out his stock and dispatch the goods. It takes about eight to ten days to cross the pond and then, however long a large parcel is detained by HMC. Delivery to the local Sorting Office of Parcel farce, and notification for collection. If Ares stick to the date of release I should get mine in time for Eileen to wrap it up for Christmas.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Personally, while I am waiting for all of them with interest, I'm particularly salivating for the Agamemnons. I'm planning on attempting to razee one into HMS Indefatigable (my favorite historical ship.)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I think there will be several of those sold for that particular alteration Robert.
    We should get some rather interesting photos out of that one.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

It's going to be a sticky situation given the small size of our ships but (not having seen the model Agamemnon yet) I believe that it is doable.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Goliath View Post
    Personally, while I am waiting for all of them with interest, I'm particularly salivating for the Agamemnons. I'm planning on attempting to razee one into HMS Indefatigable (my favorite historical ship.)
    You might want to hold off a bit, there are discussions afoot surrounding "Indy" and Pellew being a special pack in the future

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very interesting Dave!
    Rob.

I think a new wave of special packs would be awesome for the SoG community.

I really like the HMS Victory and the USS Constitution.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

And if they take David's advice, there'll be a reason to buy several, too.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    And if they take David's advice, there'll be a reason to buy several, too.
    You mean apart from HMS Anson and HMS Magnanime?

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Goliath View Post
    It's going to be a sticky situation given the small size of our ships but (not having seen the model Agamemnon yet) I believe that it is doable.
    It's been done by me but using the bigger Elizabeth class. But on the other hand I've been sailing Indy for a few years now.

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?3090-Raz%E9e
    https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....-Indefatigable

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

David had recommended, rather than the double-crew and different-time stats for Constitution and Victory, a triple-pack of paperwork to do all three of the Razee 64's. There's just no way in Hell to throw enough on with the sculpt to get a full three-SKU regular release, and if memory serves the same is true of the Razee 74 heavy-frigates, so Special Packs are our best chance to get oddballs that otherwise wouldn't happen in through the back or side door.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Agreed!

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Does that mean that pirate ships would likely come as special packs?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Bearing in mind that few pirate ships were extant in the 1760-1815 "game period," I think Team Skull & Bones's single best chance is Lafitte's Pride if we can find enough generally similar schooners to make a cluster. But even that ship would be too small to make the Minimum Length...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am up for anything that extends the gaming options, and from what we have done at shows Pirates unfortunately seems to be the favourite. So let the majority decision be the arbiter say I.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

You gents have inspired me! I ordered a HMS Bellona last night and will be cutting her down (or rather up I suspect) into HMS Indefatigable. Will try to post photos.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I look forward to seeing the pictures of your efforts.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Bearing in mind that few pirate ships were extant in the 1760-1815 "game period," I think Team Skull & Bones's single best chance is Lafitte's Pride if we can find enough generally similar schooners to make a cluster. But even that ship would be too small to make the Minimum Length...
    How come no one ever talks about privateers? If you want pirates, what's wrong with licensed pirates? ...And, you get bigger ships... while fiction, the French ship in the movie "Master and Commander" was a privateer, and patterned after Constitution! A successful privateer could have a real warship built to personal flavor, as compared to pirates having to make do with armed merchantmen (Queen Anne's Revenge).

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    How come no one ever talks about privateers? If you want pirates, what's wrong with licensed pirates? ...And, you get bigger ships... while fiction, the French ship in the movie "Master and Commander" was a privateer, and patterned after Constitution! A successful privateer could have a real warship built to personal flavor, as compared to pirates having to make do with armed merchantmen (Queen Anne's Revenge).
    Dobbs, we have one--Thorn was a Massachusetts privateer. The problem with bigger one-offs goes back to the one we've always had from day one, clustering them into a six-pack for a sculpt.

Right now, I'm actually trying to gather whatever information I can on the ships of Adam & Noah Brown, since many of the Great Lakes ships were adaptations of their successful privateer-brig designs. I do recall that Robert Surcouf managed to lay hands on a surplused French Navy frigate that might fit onto SGN101...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

October 13th was last Friday. Are there any signs of the Wave 4 ships yet?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Have a look here Dave.

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...s-have-arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I succeeded in buying five of the new ships from my local games shop yesterday afternoon. For some unknown reason Esdevium had not sent a model of H.M.S. Polyphemus/H.M.S. America to the shop although the owner was sure that he had ordered one.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well done Dave. Your's is the first reported sighting of the ships in our waters.
    Any chance of a few pictures?
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

I placed an order for 2 new ships (HMS Agamemnon & Mahonesa) and the USS Constitution. I hope it shows up today.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Have any arrived at the Anchorage yet? Wondering whether my order to Keith is going to get to my friend in DC by next Friday!

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I have some photographs but I am having trouble uploading them. Is there a limit to how many pictures we can upload, please?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Name:  IMG_3020.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  115.2 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Aaron.
    Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I still cannot upload my photographs of the new ships even using 'Basic Uploader'. All I can think of is that the new server has a maximum file size for pictures.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Name:  IMG_3018.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  162.4 KB

Works for me

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

H.M.S. Polyphemus has entered harbour.

Actually I collected the missing model of H.M.S. Polyphemus/ H.M.S. America last Thursday but this website was down.
    Name:  HMSPolyphemus.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  29.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to see that you are managing to get pictures up again Dave.
    That looks like a very smart craft.
    Hopefully mine should arrive from the States in December.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 11-07-2017 at 12:44.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Gameseek has the British 64 and Spanish frigates up for sail, I got Hms Polyphemus and the Nimfa enroute

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

My picture uploadiing problems are not over, Rob. I have had to shrink this photograph in order to be able to upload it.

Name:  HMSM.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  151.9 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is interesting Dave, because I thought everyone had to shrink the raw photos. I have done it from day one. There has always been a top limit on size for the Drome, and I assumed the same is on Sails.
    Jim set me up a programme on Photoshop to shrink pictures for ease of transmission by E-mail to friends, and I just run everything through that when I download to the computer from the camera as a matter of course. I even find it works for those odd pictures from the net that just will not show up as a photo but as a BB code or some such.
    Talking of size, how do the new ships marry up to the series one vessels?
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    Italy

Log Entries
    Name
    Franco

Hi Rob,

I received yesterday my Mahonesa, I measured her and she passed musters, well at list this is my first impression as far as measures are concerned. Of course we have the odd wind problem, and my model too has the black paint over the yellow (more to the stern compared to David's one), a less accurate then usual paintwork.