Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default Santisima Trinidad

I know some folks here have kitbashed their own ST's, but has anybody come up with stats for the ship? I have been thinking about it, and she seems very much like a bulked up Ocean. I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on the matter.

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

Hi Dobbs

For the Santisima Trinidad, I used the Ocean stats, I will dig thru my stuff, I also reduced the number of movement cards as well. Will provide them soonest.

Shane

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Off the cuff I'd say an Ocean stretched out across one more box, one less Veer and maybe a little better Musketry and Boarding due to higher crew numbers. (Or maybe not, offset by lower crew quality.) Four decks, but one was stem-to-stern loaded with useless POS guns that they'd have been better served to line people up and have 'em P*SS out those gunports instead.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Totally agree from my reading.
    She looked impressive but did not perform any better than other three deckers if as well, and sailed like a brick.

POS, DB?

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    POS, DB?
    Like a Bad Day at the Mongolian Buffet. :p Effectively only a propaganda weapon, for bragging rights about "We Have The Biggest."

Oh, you mean the guns... those stupid Piece Of [REDACTED] obusiers that Le Frogs pushed on their fleet and allies. Catapults launching poop-flinging monkeys would have made a greater contribution to combat power...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I've been thinking about stretching the Ocean gun stats, but making the additional box one of lesser fire power. It seems like historically, the ST's strength was in her ability to absorb damage, not inflict it.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 09-06-2017 at 07:35.

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

Hi guys, here is the stats. I have stretched it out and modified it to make sense:

fire power 5-8-7/ 5-8-7/ 4-7-6/ 4-7-5/ 4-6-4 / 3-5-4 / 3-5-3 / 3-4-3 / 2-4-3/ 2-3-2 / 1-2-2 / 1-2-1
    actions 4 / 4 / 4 / 3 / 3 / 3 / 3 / 2 / 2 / 2 / 1 / 1
    musketry 4 / 4 / 4 / 3 / 3 / 3 / 2 / 2 / 2 / 2 / 2 / 1

hull is 6 deck F and veer 3

I was almost contemplating a veer 2, but decided to leave it a three, but reduce the movement cards.

Removed from the deck is Veer 3 turns and veer 7 turns, so that will leave veer 4, 5, and 6 for movment

So as it stands the ship card info is Hull 6, Move deck F (modified), Veer 3, Number Guns 140, Crew 1050

I went with a little higher firepower intitially, but drops off fast as the damage accumulates. Engage at long distance to soften it up, don't try t go at it fresh.

Hope this is a good design.

Shane

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Using that source of all knowledge, Wikipedia, I see that the Orient and ST had very similar armaments. To that end, I have decided to go with the 12 ranks of firepower, but use the Orient's stats. Instead of adding the additional box on to the front, I have given her a 1-1-1 for the last box. This way she has the durability she demonstrated in history without a game-skewing broadside. I'm torn between the Veer 2 and the modified F deck. I must ponder that one further. It's a tough call.

I kept the actions and musketry the same as Orient's.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Sounds good to me, Dobbs. Call Shane's deck an F Minus, or for more descriptive an F-37? (Conversely, an F deck with added and 2 8 cards would be an F+28 under such a naming system.)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am just waiting to see how your finer adjustments pan out gentlemen.
    It seems as if we are reaching an equitable consensus of what the reality of the ST was.
    Thanks for your efforts on this matter.
    Is it worth establishing a new thread where we can place final agreed stats for the non official ships that have already been agreed. This will give members an easy reference without having to plough through all our cogitations to get an answer.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Excellent question, Rob, and begs a revisit of an old idea--a dedicated Sticky to post official Stats Committee numbers, which I'm inclined to move that while not officially "ours" the Committee just adopt these stats for ST and make them the official Anchorage Interim Standard.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am with you on that DB.
    I may be able to get us sorted on that one. If I close the thread. When you have an addition just let me know and I will open it for you to add the stats for a new ship. i will look for a suitable place mayhap the unofficial rules forum.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Thanks, Rob--I'm gonna toss up a few placeholder posts to get things organized so we can just slot things in as we define them. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I had a look at the posts DB.
    Good idea.
    Keeps things nice and orderly.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by stuh42asl View Post
    I was almost contemplating a veer 2, but decided to leave it a three, but reduce the movement cards.

Removed from the deck is Veer 3 turns and veer 7 turns, so that will leave veer 4, 5, and 6 for movment

So as it stands the ship card info is Hull 6, Move deck F (modified), Veer 3, Number Guns 140, Crew 1050

I went with a little higher firepower intitially, but drops off fast as the damage accumulates. Engage at long distance to soften it up, don't try t go at it fresh.

Hope this is a good design.

Shane
    Hi Shane, I have been pondering the Veer vs. the F-Minus and here's what I came up with:

It seems to me that a ship's (card) Deck reflects the potential range of movement side to side, which may be based on the ship's length. A ship's Veer represents its agility. The Santisima Trinidad, being nicknamed by her own sailors "El Ponderoso", calls for a Veer of 2. It could be very interesting in an engagement to have the ST with rudder damage. She'd be painful to turn from side to side. To go from hard a-port to hard a-starboard would take 4 turns!

So, considering, I suggest the full F Deck, but the Veer of 2.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good point Dobbs.
    This is what makes these debates so interesting. Your empirical knowledge of boat handling trumps my bookworm every time.
    Thanks for your insight once again.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

Works for me Dobbs

So I will officially call her el ponderosa and change the veer to 2. she is like trying to turn a 53 foot trailer with truck in a small parking lot