Thread: New Ships

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

For Trafalgar ships
    I have used 108a (Royal Sovereign) for HMS Netune, Dreadnought and Temeraire and 108c(Queen Charlotte) for HMS Prince.
    112b (Bahama) as French 74 Intrepide, Spanish 74 San Ildefonso , Bahama, Spanish 80 Argonauta , Minorca
    112a (San Juan Nepomuceno ) Spanish 80 Montanes and Neptuno although the Spanish 80 not changed the original stats.
    I changed HMS Prince to a Veer -1 as she was a notoriously bad sailer and Reduced the Neptune's crew box to have one less 2 and changed it to a 1.

What I personally am looking for is. Stretched Slade to make into HMS Mars and an equivalent French early Courageux which I believe was the basis for HMS Minator and HMS Leviathan and HMS Colossus
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 06-29-2017 at 08:36.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well gentlemen, this seems to be opening up a whole new set of opportunities, if only we can find those ship models still about.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Chris, I'm personally not comfortable using SGN104 for the Courageux family--generation-wise they're the same split as Ardent vs Artesien, and I'd bet that there will be a similar size difference. Best guess, the ships you mention should either slot in between SGN102 and SGN104 or be closer to Temeraire size.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Great to hear. That 108 and 201 mess is a bit strange, but it's possible to make something out of it.
    If it's good for HMS Neptune, it's good for HMS Temeraire and HMS Dreadnought too I guess.
    That takes care of more Trafalgar ships at least...
    Jonas, that's why I said "the Neptunes" plural rather than "Neptune" singular. :)

And an oops... the total is 689: the chart ends at line 694, with one row Header and the four Recommended For Retirements included.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Chris, I'm personally not comfortable using SGN104 for the Courageux family--generation-wise they're the same split as Ardent vs Artesien, and I'd bet that there will be a similar size difference. Best guess, the ships you mention should either slot in between SGN102 and SGN104 or be closer to Temeraire size.
    Hi DB been reading through The Ships of Trafalgar and going to compare lengths with my Warships in the Age of Sail Brit and French vols. Agree Mars may well close to the Temeraires in length, need to check the shape.
    Appreciate your input

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

My gut's said "neither" on shape, TBH. I've been lobbying for a British Large or Middling 74 based on the Courageux family as a counterpoint to Tonnant, and similarly if SGN111 is the Spanish "middleweight" Third Rate using a resculpted Gautier 74 as their "Heavy."

French designs by generation:
    74's: 1740s Invincible (1760s Slade Common) - 1760s Courageux (1780s Leviathan, Armada) - 1780s Temeraire (not widely cloned with so many taken)
    64's: 1740s Lis (1760s Ardent) - 1760s Artesien (not cloned with demise of 64-gun format) - no 1780s generation

So normal practice was for the British to build what the French were building 20 years earlier, but beefed up and adapted to their own needs.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

For the record, I'm not saying necessarily that they're matches I'm comfortable with per se other than Early Victory, Late Victory, Boyne/Union and Impregnable... just that if I absolutely HAD to put the full RN three-decker fleet on the table Right Now those are how I'd go for closest existing fits. I'd be happier about things with more sculpts to choose from, but I'm not sure where to break 'em down on the working assumption we *might* get maybe ONE more...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Yes. We know that with each more "exotic" class there will be a smaller market and if the sales doesn't support the cost, no more sculpts.

That is why I hope there will be a few main stream Dutch and Swedes before too many ships looking almost like an existing sculpt ends the whole game's development.

I'd rather have a Dutch 74 than two British second rate sculpts.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Guys, I'm working on a Comparison Chart for British three-deckers as I type. Once it's done I'll start one for the 74's... First Rates I've magnified to 1/750 scale (the biggest I can do while still keeping to a half-page width limit), and Thirds I should be able to go a little bigger but probably not the 1/500 (double SGN size) I was hoping for.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks again for all the work you are putting in on this DB. We will all benefit from it, and it will undoubtedly also boost Ares sales as we all avidly do the conversions which it brings to our attention.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

And the chart needs rework--OpenOffice hates excessive graphics, and London's drawing looks suspiciously smaller than all other threedeckers on the page. I'm not sure if Greenwich misrecorded draught dimensions or I screwed up the math somewhere, or if they really were runts of the litter... Either way, I'm frustrated enough I'm gonna take a few days and come back at it when I feel fresh, rested and ready. (For you guys keeping score about autism-spectrum pathology, this is what a Burnout stage looks like.)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

At least you recognize it for what it is and can handle it DB. We all get to that stage from time to time. I think that I can empathize with you. I tend to do subjects to death until I have them completely tamed, and then need a complete break, and then do exactly the same to the next interest which grabs my interest.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Also, the master line chart now seems suspect--no way in hell does the difference in drawing sizes match the four-foot difference between Ardent and Artesien. Either somebody at Greenwich misrecorded dimensions, scan dims don't match original hardcopy, or I have a Critical Math Fail--and we've previously discussed my known mathematical issues to death. :o
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB