Thread: What's on your Workbench for May.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default What's on your Workbench for May.

Having taken part in several Solo games where scenarios included the very nice cut out card coastline by Ares, I have finally decided that rather than continue to approximate the coast with my 3D coastal units I would make some coast to the authentic shape of Ares originals. for this project i have borrowed Captain Kiwi's Coastal cards and used them as a template to shape out my own 3d version.

Name:  IMG_4471.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  136.9 KB

Here is the start of the process. I will add updates as I progress.
    You may notice that I am doing two of some parts which may be used as mirror images just as Ares ones can be turned over and used.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today I'm starting to shape the contours and add the plasticard for the beach.

Name:  IMG_4473.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  111.6 KB

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Gluing up the beach.

Name:  IMG_4474.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  140.3 KB

The result.

Name:  IMG_4475.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  132.8 KB

Rob.

Looks good, Langton has little ships you can grounding.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have a few of those left over from making the Harbour Julián.

Now today with a new scroll saw blade in place I got to cut out some more of the coastline.

Name:  IMG_4476.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  144.4 KB

Now I find out that I need to get more Plasticard from my local model shop.

Rob.

Great project, Rob.

I'm doing something non SoG in the Moment: Painting Space Marine Terminators of my Space Hulk boardgame.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

On my work bench at the moment - preparing for our upcoming 75th anniversary refight of Midway :)

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

For most of April and May my workbench was made into sewing bench... I made an undress uniform and temporarily remade my Captain's coat into an Admiral's coat. I was at a Jane Austen LARP in a small village where we had several small houses, a health resort well, a tea house a church and assembly rooms. It was very much fun. I even got most of my children married off.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Shot just before it started. I'm the naval guy you can see towards the end.

https://youtu.be/Uzf3Aobnycs

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Great project, Rob.

I'm doing something non SoG in the Moment: Painting Space Marine Terminators of my Space Hulk boardgame.
    Great Sven.
    Show us yer wares.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    For most of April and May my workbench was made into sewing bench... I made an undress uniform and temporarily remade my Captain's coat into an Admiral's coat. I was at a Jane Austen LARP in a small village where we had several small houses, a health resort well, a tea house a church and assembly rooms. It was very much fun. I even got most of my children married off.
    Sounds fantastic Jonas. Even more fun than what I was up to over the weekend.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Shot just before it started. I'm the naval guy you can see towards the end.

https://youtu.be/Uzf3Aobnycs
    Magnificent Jonas.
    I have not indulged in anything like that since our Last Playford ball which must be at least Ten years ago, when I played the Russian Attaches Aide at the Dutchess of Richmond's ball.

Name:  DSC_2747.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  234.5 KB

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Great looking uniform there. Very smart!

I finished my galleon the end of May
    Name:  20170603_063105.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  217.3 KB
    Name:  20170603_063131.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  199.2 KB
    Name:  20170603_063159.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  171.7 KB
    Name:  20170603_065708.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  217.5 KB
    Name:  20170603_065740.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  165.1 KB
    Name:  20170603_065819.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  110.3 KB
    Name:  20170603_065837.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  149.6 KB

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Working on getting my main laptop repaired since it died end of May. (Extracting confidential materials and copying them to the spare taking most of the time, it should hit the road this coming weekend, then a week each way in transit plus a few days for diagnostics, sourcing parts and repair.)

This is why I'm quiet--some of my data and references inaccessible until it's back, along with most of my specialized tools.

Anyway, latest on the monster...

Unfolded

Important point, that is a "stabilizer brace," legally determined to be not a "stock"--it seems a small distinction, but it's a big one to the scumbag Ambulance Chasers who draw the lines between "rifle-caliber pistol" versus the more tightly regulated "short-barrel rifle."

Mocking up the fold for stowage

Best guess on buffer/brace position since the fold mechanism will cost as much as all the parts you see... that's a 30-round magazine with the extreme end flush with the handguard front, so I'm gonna have to get creative if I'm gonna find a way to rack in a 40.

And then some monkey stole my credit card numbers and racked up an $800 tab, cramping my working capital on both build and Sails collection until the bank tells me they've concluded the fraud investigation and made my "provisional" restitution official... bloody vermin thieves make me want to give them a sharp rap to the skull with my cane. (THIS is my cane.)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Nice gallion Vol

Thank you Alastair.
    We need to start a June or July Workbench thread. I started 5 ACW steam screw ships I was gifted by Stone Mountain Minis. I just received the bare hulls so I have had to make the stacks. funnels and the two flying bridges so far.

Name:  20170509_223829.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  186.0 KB
    Name:  20170604_160145_resized.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  192.7 KB
    Name:  20170604_232609_resized.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  204.2 KB
    Name:  20170604_232617_resized.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  167.2 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes indeed, a very fine Galleon Vol.

The colour scheme makes a nice change from the Napoleonic ships.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Not really workbench material, but pictures of what I spent most of May preparing for and doing...

A LARP and therefore not the very highest demands on clothes, but everyone surpassed it.

Name:  18881758_1509536389090763_8677913260406829254_n.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  179.6 KB
    A ball...

Name:  18766802_10154487263712213_704018535801958909_o.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  160.5 KB
    A walk interrupted.

Name:  18765917_10154487263577213_4334449504649703614_n.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  124.7 KB
    A Lieutenant, an Admiral and a Midshipman.
    (Sad to say the midshipman had better trousers during the larp but had these after.)

What fun!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very fine too Jonas.
    I am about to put my hand in my pocket and buy the shiny bits for my uniform.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Are you doing the pre or post 1812 uniform reform?
    Ie what buttons will you buy?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Pre 1812 seems to be the more useful, as only three years of war came after 1812 and most of the large actions were over.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Well, as you can see, so do I. That's the buttons without the crown. What source will you use?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Not sure about sources yet. I asked the Naval re-exactors about sources in the U.K. when we were at the Tall Ships in Gloucester but they could not really give me any help.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I had links saved but lost it when google flipped out when I did an undo too much and lost it all. They are happy to quickly save automatically when large portions of text disappears.

I still have one for captains though:
    http://www.historicaltwiststore.com/...ex&cPath=10_12

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Jonas.
    On the last page they had Admiral's buttons. Down side is they will only ship in 50s.

Name:  02-345.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  152.1 KB

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Yes, but on the other downside... you need just about that many. 36 for the coat, 15 for the waistcoat, 22 for the breaches (or perhaps 14 + 8 even smaller for the knees).

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just realizing how much money I'm getting into just on buttons alone.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

By the way... Don't order from these numbers. There are a few choices that will make a difference on how many and the buttons for the suspenders don't need to be those nice buttons, and apart from those there's at least one more hidden button on the breeches.