Thread: Hello Gents, I have a few questions

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Default Hello Gents, I have a few questions

Disclaimer: I'm new to the forum and also new to the Napoleonic era. (And I've never sailed before)

I've currently programming for a hobby a game which aids play in SoG (love war games and history). You can follow my post in the main discussion area about this topic but what I am looking for are small historical details on the following:

1) Did ships tow their longboats/row/or lifeboats (dunno the accurate name) behind the ship (like in master and commander) during battles? If so I was going to add this detail to the ships on the map during battle.

2) For SOL and frigates, did the yards stay squared with the ship or did they orient the yards to best hit the wind. I plan on moving the these yards around if so.

3) For the spanker sail (term?) how was this used. Was it used as a rudder to keep the ship heading ideal?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I will have follow up questions as the application matures (I plan on adding regional maps, coastlines, fleets, ports, frigate captain patrols, etc) so I will have questions on fleshing these out with some degree of historical accuracy.)

beta sample:
    Name:  capture8.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  46.6 KB

Name:  capturenew2.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  29.3 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Disclaimer: I'm new to the forum and also new to the Napoleonic era. (And I've never sailed before)

I've currently programming for a hobby a game which aids play in SoG (love war games and history). You can follow my post in the main discussion area about this topic but what I am looking for are small historical details on the following:

1) Did ships tow their longboats/row/or lifeboats (dunno the accurate name) behind the ship YES (like in master and commander) during battles? If so I was going to add this detail to the ships on the map during battle.

2) For SOL and frigates, did the yards stay squared with the ship or did they orient the yards to best hit the wind.ORIENTATE I plan on moving the these yards around if so.

3) For the spanker sail (term?) how was this used. Was it used as a rudder to keep the ship heading ideal? CHECKS AND BALANCE WITH THE JIBS AND FORE STAYSAIL if hoisted.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I will have follow up questions as the application matures (I plan on adding regional maps, coastlines, fleets, ports, frigate captain patrols, etc) so I will have questions on fleshing these out with some degree of historical accuracy.)

beta sample:
    Name:  capture8.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  46.6 KB

Name:  capturenew2.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  29.3 KB
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Thank you for the reply!