Thread: Next wave of ships

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    I'd say it's a win for Ares, 'cause now I'm going to have to buy 2 Temeraires to follow in Jonas' footsteps building a Tonnant!
    Depending on if there are enough *available* for everyone to chop-and-bash...

And why is my Youtube link not working?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

The YouTube linked for me and made me laugh.

New to this so honest question: Has accurate relative sizes among ships been an ongoing issue?
    When the blood in your veins returns to the sea, and the earth in your bones returns to the ground, perhaps then you will remember that this land does not belong to you, it is you who belong to this land.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

We know Constitution is oversize and also know exactly why, an erroneously oversize (about 15') reported length in one of Winfield's books.

Other than that's it's really only popped up as pushing the limits of tolerance with Wave 3. Here again, traceable to several identifiable issues: use of the wrong length for the Bahama sculpt plus passing it off as much larger ships on most SKU's, and if I'm reading the plans right a unique quirk of the Meregildos design plus the sculpt being designed after the smallest member of the class that combined make the ship seem more off-scale than she really is. That Bucentaure has none of these mitigating factors, and cutting against it that I have repeatedly cautioned about the need to check size/scale before committing to production.

I'm still preparing my report from an inquest on the Wave 3 issue I performed for Ares, and a couple days after it's in their hands I will be releasing it here as well.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 05-10-2017 at 22:35.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

So that's why the gunports looking smaller to me...

By the way the 80 gun SoL have a burden value of 6.

Nice!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am really sorry that it looks as if all your work on this has been ignored DB.
    No one can say that you did not do your utmost to prevent another lash up.
    On the plus side, if there can be such a thing in this situation, no one will now notice my Langtons if I slip them into the fleet.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

We need one in the flesh as it were, maybe my eyes are in fact deceiving me and it is not really an issue.
    As for wave 3 I have renamed them into the Montanes class and the San Ildelfonso for when/if Ares redo the sculpts.
    I look forward to reading your report DB so as to understand whats gone on.
    Then again are we/me the only ones who will care enough?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

For the record, nothing underhanded about the split release--I just want them to have a chance to start preparing for reactions whether good bad or ugly; personal preference, if I'm going to say something about somebody I'd rather they hear it direct from me first rather than give a "Truman Firing MacArthur" situation.

If they're sneaking in a midcourse scale change, I expect it to be a mortal wound to this game much as it was to Axis & Allies Miniatures...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Ordinary Seaman
    Italy

Log Entries
    Name
    Franco

It will be really unfortunate if the models, once distributed, will end up being shorter than a Temeraire. This is a well-documented class, with even a model at the Trianon (Friedland) realized between 1810 and 1818, considering also all DB work and efforts, I think it would be difficult to excuse such a mistake (if it is a mistake). I think you need to stay the course.
    Comparing the 2 models (and the Greenwich draught) I think the Ares one catches the distinctive lines of the class but the gun ports look too small, and personally I don’t like the choice of a cross-jack for 1800 onward ships (but facts/evidences could prove me wrong, what do you think DB?).
    Name:  Friedland Trianon.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  97.6 KB
    Name:  Bucentaure.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  86.5 KB

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I just noticed the spanker on Bucentaure. It seems kind of old fashioned. That style went out of use around 1750. Perhaps it was meant for Bonhomme Richard, which got a more modetn one.

Chris, accuracy in scale and representation is important to me too. I would imagine many who enjoy historical gaming feel the same way.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Cheers Dobbs

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    I just noticed the spanker on Bucentaure. It seems kind of old fashioned. That style went out of use around 1750. Perhaps it was meant for Bonhomme Richard, which got a more modern one.
    At least a little manipulation can change the Mizzen set up.
    I am glad I saved all the masts from the ships I cut and chopped.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I suggest we call it what it is, a "lateen", and save "spanker" (or is it "driver"?) for the larger, later, two-boom style.

Somewhere between Waves 2 and 3, something went terribly wrong at Ares. Nothing's going to change until the problem's found and fixed, and with some fundamental corporate-culture issues, I think we're going to have to be the ones to dig facts out of people and figure out what.

One of you guys mind blasting the Bucentaure Issues List all over their Facebook?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Ordinary Seaman
    Italy

Log Entries
    Name
    Franco

Please forgive my English, I understand I used the wrong word mentioning a “cross-jack”. What is its name? It is not a “gaff”, nor a “spanker”. "lateen" is the sail only or can be used for both?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Not tryin' to chew you out, Franco. I *think* that style of sail is called "lateen rig," more commonly seen as the main sails on Mediterranean and Northeast Africa/Southwest Asia-area designs like galleys, xebecs and dhows. The important thing is, as we all appear to agree :) , that style of sail has no place on a ship built using some of the last, best and most advanced engineering and technology the "Wooden Walls" era had to offer.

And Franco, since you asked directly or my opinion, I'll gie it no less directly. Under-sized, Under-gunned, Mis-sailed... Lemon Yellow was an apt choice for this model, because it really is a lemon and if the final release comes out this bad I won't be buying ANY of this wave.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Ordinary Seaman
    Italy

Log Entries
    Name
    Franco

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    I suggest we call it what it is, a "lateen", and save "spanker" (or is it "driver"?) for the larger, later, two-boom style.

Somewhere between Waves 2 and 3, something went terribly wrong at Ares. Nothing's going to change until the problem's found and fixed, and with some fundamental corporate-culture issues, I think we're going to have to be the ones to dig facts out of people and figure out what.

One of you guys mind blasting the Bucentaure Issues List all over their Facebook?
    DB if you think I can help I can e-mail ares using the same language, and by the way, my Nautical Italian Dictionary is better than my English.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Oh, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU[bleep] Here we go again...
    I just noticed the spanker on Bucentaure. It seems kind of old fashioned
    Its all kicking off again!

Ordinary Seaman
    Italy

Log Entries
    Name
    Franco

Not tryin' to chew you out, Franco. I *think* that style of sail is called "lateen rig," more commonly seen as the main sails on Mediterranean and Northeast Africa/Southwest Asia-area designs like galleys, xebecs and dhows. The important thing is, as we all appear to agree :) , that style of sail has no place on a ship built using some of the last, best and most advanced engineering and technology the "Wooden Walls" era had to offer.

And Franco, since you asked directly or my opinion, I'll gie it no less directly. Under-sized, Under-gunned, Mis-sailed... Lemon Yellow was an apt choice for this model, because it really is a lemon and if the final release comes out this bad I won't be buying ANY of this wave.
    DB, a "vela latina" on such a ship looked awfully wrong to me at first sight, but I was not sure it might have been used all the same.

Ordinary Seaman
    Italy

Log Entries
    Name
    Franco

I think the same: it doesn't look right, the size is wrong, the gun ports are wrong, the sail plant is wrong and it looks like my kids' (old and mothballed) "yellow tub-marine" and unfortunately it is crap (lemon, gosh it took me some time to remember it, I love refreshing my English). I was really looking forward to add them to my fleet.
    Name:  yellow tub-marine.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  277.9 KB

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

DB, Spanker and driver are interchangeable. It indicates the location and function of the sail. Lateen is a type of sail , like describing a topsail as a square sail. It is a lateen spanker, as compared to the gaff spanker (or the intermediate version like the 50's have).

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I figured out that the Artesien and the Portland minis have their mizzens reversed. I found a picture of an Artesien with the lateen-hybrid style spanker, and the fact that they were built in the 70's makes it more likely than the Portlands having them, being built in the 80's. Also, on the ship card artwork the Artesien has the lateen-hybrid.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Thanks, Dobbs--my brain's fried, probably too many "WTF?!"s with things of late from Wave 3 and this.

I think I've died and gone to Hell... :(
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That certainly explains a lot Dobbs.
    Well picked up.
    Another job for the old scalpel then.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    Italy

Log Entries
    Name
    Franco

Good news,

I contacted ARES and e-mailed them my remarks on wave 3 and 4 models, they will examine them. For the moments Roberto told me that the Mahonesa will be about 10% larger than in picture while the Bucentaure is about the size of a Temeraire.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

If this turn out as stated then as you say good news, as long as the Bucentaure is at least the same size as a Temeraire is will pass muster, but the pic certainly does not look like it does. I look forward to seeing one in the flesh

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A ray of hope shines through the gloom then shipmates!
    Rob.

Finally orderd 3 of the new wave 4 ships.

HMS Agamemnon, Bucentaure & HMS Hamadryad to have another burden-4-frigate for the RN.

I'm curious how the new ships look loke on the table.

Order was really small because I invested in a new computer these days and Doncater is "ante portas".

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    I'm curious how the new ships look loke on the table.
    That my dear friend is the thousand dollar question!
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

The under-sizing and rigging-mixups of Wave 3 appear to be continued, despite my best efforts. :(
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

All I want is my order to be sent.................Ares games shows August arrival...................well what day in August?????????????????????????Arrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh my gaming table is waiting for the ships

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

There are plenty of Wave 4 ships at Gencon

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I just returned from Gen Con and four insane days of board, miniature and role play gaming. Ares did have limited copies of the next wave of ships. I had not intended on buying any ships (due to reasons I've already stated), but could not resist purchase of the Bonhomme Richard. I should have bought two as they only air shipped four of each ship and the BR sold out mid afternoon on the first day. Ares was not demoing any Sails of Glory stuff at their booth; only Wings of War and other newer board games they'd brought to the convention. I believe there were several events for Sails of Glory, but all were sold out. Cheers!

Name:  Sog1.JPG
Views: 412
Size:  87.1 KB

Name:  sog2.JPG
Views: 402
Size:  109.7 KB

Name:  sog3.JPG
Views: 418
Size:  78.7 KB

Name:  sog4.JPG
Views: 410
Size:  107.1 KB

How large has Gen Con gotten? They've expanded to take over the entire infield of the Lucas Oil Indianapolis Colts stadium.

Name:  sog5.JPG
Views: 408
Size:  72.3 KB
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Jim.
    Great to hear from you, and thanks for forwarding the pictures of the Bonhomme Richard. She looks as smart as paint Jim lad. i am glad I pre ordered her now.
    Sail with a fair wind my friend.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Someone on BoardGameGeek asked to see the statistics so I'll post them here as well. (Thanks for the rep, Rob).

Name:  BRStats1.JPG
Views: 354
Size:  144.9 KB

Name:  BRStats2.JPG
Views: 382
Size:  148.2 KB
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Again thank you for your consideration Jim.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Likewise what Rob said Jim Alastair

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

My modest but contributory order has been added