Thread: My/your future with Sails of Glory

Default My/your future with Sails of Glory

Somehow I'm afraid, that my SoG interest in the Napoleonic war ist satisfied with an upcoming French 80 cannon SoL and some merchantmen.

Maybe some special ship pack projects would be nice but I think that I'm well equipped now.

Of course a collector gets everything, but I'm well into Wings of Glory too and there's a bigger variety.

Question is, what will be in the future beside reprints to hold the gamers and customers "in line"?

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

The current Spanish wave did not fill me with much happiness, especially as I was looking forward to getting a good proportion of the Trafalgar fleet.
    Luckily thanks to forum members a solution may have been found , but still the 3 deckers dont inspire confidence.
    Ill get the next wave for sure, after that it will depend upon what is published. My theme is to get Trafalgar in Sails, so I need to see how to get around the missing ships. I now have over 100 of all nations so time to reign in a little.
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 05-01-2017 at 09:52.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

If it helps to know, I didn't go into detail but I floated the idea of taking a Mulligan, re-purposing SGN112 as an Ildefonso sculpt and cutting a new one for the bigger, older Spanish 74s and Roberto seemed open in principle.

We still need:
    --British large EIM's
    --British and French small EIM's and merchant frigates
    --Barbary galleys and xebecs
    --American light and medium frigates, and a "mainline" Humphreys superfrigate
    --British Large 74
    --older British Second Rate
    --Cruizer-class brig-sloop (more 14-18 gun ships in general)
    --French 50
    --Santissima Trinidad
    --maybe some Russian, Scandinavian and Ottoman Turk ships
    --MUCH MORE AGGRESSIVE REPRINT SCHEDULE with new paint schemes and names! (or for Brits, flag changes)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Sounds good DB and I am already looking at stating for the Montanes class to rebadge the current Spanish 74's.
    Still not particularly happy with the Spanish first rates but dont know what we can do about that.
    I do hope we get more ships as I really like the game and have gone a bit , ahem, overboard with purchases but trying to get a Trafalgar Sails game fully ob'd in time
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 04-15-2017 at 10:23.

Ordinary Seaman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Thomas

Some new scenarios published by Ares Games would also help...

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Chris, for Montanes it'll probably be a slight Gunnery buff, like the Stats Committee did to Temeraire for our unofficial Tonnant. IIRC the extra six guns were tertiary/upperworks battery, but I'll check and get back to you.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Chris, for Montanes it'll probably be a slight Gunnery buff, like the Stats Committee did to Temeraire for our unofficial Tonnant. IIRC the extra six guns were tertiary/upperworks battery, but I'll check and get back to you.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Ship LD UD QD/FC
    Idefonso 28x24 30x18 16x8
    Montanes 30x24 32x18 18x8

It is curious to note that these ships should be noticeably weaker than their British counterparts, with 24pdr main batteries as opposed to 32s. Though with the conjecture that Bahama and the Ildefonso/Montanes group were meant to be a new kind of light, fast, maneuverable 74/80... Note that I have listed initial armaments, by Trafalgar Ildefonso herself had a homogeneous LD/UD battery of all 24's with mostly those useless obusiers topside. (Whoever designed the stupid things shoulda been thrown over the side with one tied to his ankles...)
    Last edited by Diamondback; 04-16-2017 at 12:42.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

Default What else for sails

Thoughts from a junior ensign
    (ducks as more senior officers look on in disgust).

A significant number of ships took part in the Battle of the Nile and Trafalgar

A considerably less number took part in Royal Navy ~ US fleets...

after that a number of much smaller action are documented

Many of you know i have converted 4 into Pirate ships (Black Pearl etc)
    to allow for show participation games based upon Pirates of the Caribbean
    a few AAR's are on the site...

BUT

Merchantmen would allow for considerably more scenarios...
    Currently some members use Langton Miniatures...
    lets get funds back into ARES

AND

Why do we have to await what appears to be a very hard pressed ARES company
    for scenarios...

We have sufficient experience and considerable knowledge amongst the collective
    to produce our own scenarios, in deed we do for shows and clubs now....

SO

Why not generate a competition ?

Submission for a scenario / game with types of ship lists, victory conditions etc etc...

The best 10 are selected by Ares and a printed edition can be generated without to
    many years of pontificating, effort or inclination required by ARES...

The selection committee can be appointed from within the Anchorage?

If yours gets published you get a signed copy from ARES...
    I am sure ARES have the time to sign 10 copies?

Come on guys if we do most of the hard work for Ares it is more likely to get the 'OK'

Thoughts.....

Ensign Patch

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Simon, ever heard of NIH? I've actually proposed to research and write a series of Scenario Books for them *as one of their Historical Consultants* and had the idea greeted with polite dis-interest.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

How about this for a suggestion? I look after the Naval Wargames Society website. I'd be happy to add a page to host SGN scenarios if anyone has any the'd like put up there.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Ensign Patch View Post
    Thoughts from a junior ensign
    (ducks as more senior officers look on in disgust).

A significant number of ships took part in the Battle of the Nile and Trafalgar

A considerably less number took part in Royal Navy ~ US fleets...

after that a number of much smaller action are documented

Many of you know i have converted 4 into Pirate ships (Black Pearl etc)
    to allow for show participation games based upon Pirates of the Caribbean
    a few AAR's are on the site...

BUT

Merchantmen would allow for considerably more scenarios...
    Currently some members use Langton Miniatures...
    lets get funds back into ARES

AND

Why do we have to await what appears to be a very hard pressed ARES company
    for scenarios...

We have sufficient experience and considerable knowledge amongst the collective
    to produce our own scenarios, in deed we do for shows and clubs now....

SO

Why not generate a competition ?

Submission for a scenario / game with types of ship lists, victory conditions etc etc...

The best 10 are selected by Ares and a printed edition can be generated without to
    many years of pontificating, effort or inclination required by ARES...

The selection committee can be appointed from within the Anchorage?

If yours gets published you get a signed copy from ARES...
    I am sure ARES have the time to sign 10 copies?

Come on guys if we do most of the hard work for Ares it is more likely to get the 'OK'

Thoughts.....

Ensign Patch
    Sounds like a demned good idea Ensign.
    Now how is it that you have time to ponder such deep matters at your humble station.
    I will have to speak with you Captain.
    Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Capital idea, David. Right now, my thinking is don't TELL Ares what we want, SHOW them... in ways that show them how they're leaving easy money sitting on the table. If they SEE that there's a market or something that they're missing out on the sales action for...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I like your thinking too DB. Present them with a fait accompli and they will be much less likely to turn it down.
    it may even get them thinking about other money spinners. After all a lot of products make most of their money from accessories.
    I want a My Little Pony Abattoir.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I like your thinking too DB. Present them with a fait accompli and they will be much less likely to turn it down.
    it may even get them thinking about other money spinners. After all a lot of products make most of their money from accessories.
    I want a My Little Pony Abattoir.
    Rob.
    And I want an official DeWalt Yellow with-appropriate-logo handguard and grip for my "Tack Driver" .22-caliber AR15 pistol I'm building, LOL... er, with how rabidly partisan the Old Folks are about power tools ("We've been a Makita family since your grandfather brought them home from Korea, and if you want to stay one of us you will not break that...") maybe it should be Makita Teal.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

OK, so if anyone has any scenarios they'd like posted email them to me (PM me if you need my address) and I'll set about setting up a scenario page.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now you are talking my language DB. (I think) Makita the best power tools that you can own.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    OK, so if anyone has any scenarios they'd like posted email them to me (PM me if you need my address) and I'll set about setting up a scenario page.
    I will try to sort out some Dave, but still need some time to recover myself. Not much staying power as yet. Maybe next week.
    Rob.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

There are scenario's aplenty in the solo campaign's. Many of which lend themselves to multi player scenarios with a little or no tweaking.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Feel free to plunder any of mine to hearts content.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Ensign Patch and myself had a little chat about a scenario pack this evening, I pointed him the way to the Campaign section and he is going to have a look and we will have a chat with Bligh in the not too distant future
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 04-18-2017 at 16:11.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I was afraid of that!
    Bligh.

Ordinary Seaman
    Argentina

Log Entries
    Name
    Ezekiel

I will buy one or two Maohesa class frigates and East-India men
    Not sure about the rest of the next wave
    I would buy some pirate (if Ares just give me a Brigantine I would turn it into any pirate ship) and mechant ships
    I would definietelly buy a speciall pack of Santisima and Queen Anne's Revenge

Besides of that I have a fleet large enough to cover all my gaming needs.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

Id say my aims for the future are to get some fee time so that I can play a game! I've been studying for my FE engineering exam and my final semester exams and haven't had time to blink, let alone play SOG.. One day

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

Just started so there are many ways go grow...

I would like to see the USS Reprisal. If they make it I will change by Avatar to Benjamin Franklin.

Pirates would be great as long as they do not turn SoG into a Pirate game as an overall focus.
    When the blood in your veins returns to the sea, and the earth in your bones returns to the ground, perhaps then you will remember that this land does not belong to you, it is you who belong to this land.