Thread: Requesting permission to board.

Landsman
    Belgium

Log Entries
    Name
    Wim

Default Requesting permission to board.

Hello.

I've been playing Sails of Glory since 2 years. I have 16 ship models in my collection, and recently ordered 5 more from the most recent wave.

I'm from Belgium, so until the treaty of Campo Formio (1797), I would have served in the (up until then very small) Austro-Hungarian Navy (kaiserliche und königliche Kriegsmarine). After that time, I would have served in the French Navy (Marine nationale).

Wim

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

Welcome aboard, from Texas!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to have you alongside shipmate. I can now formally welcome you on behalf of the Officers and men at the Anchorage. I do hope that you are going to give us an insight into those Austrian maritime anecdotes over a drink or three in the wardroom.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    Belgium

Log Entries
    Name
    Wim

I can tell you this about the Austro-Hungarian Navy:

Austria entered the Napoleonic Wars with a navy consisting of two gunboats, one based at Trieste and the other at Fiume. Charged with enforcing customs regulations, the tiny navy had no role in the empire’s military plans and was not even mobilized until March 1797.

Things began to change in October 1797 when the Treaty of Campoformio assigned Venice to Austria (and the Austrian Netherlands to France). Along with the proud city of Venice came what was left of its navy: ten 74-gun ships of the line, seven frigates, and a large number of galleys. The best ships and most equipment and materials had been taken from Venice’s Arsenal for the French Navy’s use.
    The Austrians did nothing with the ships - they even stopped protecting Venice's merchant ships against the Barbary Pirates. The ships were left to rot, until 1801; when Austria got a new Minister of War and Navy. They somewhat formed a navy until 1809, to protect their merchant ships in the Mediterranean. After that, they tried to sell their ships, but most fell prey to rot and fire.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Wim. If you have any questions about the game, feel free to ask them. People here are very friendly and helpful.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Wim.
    That just about takes care of any chance of building yet another meaningful Navy, unless you are one of the what if buffs.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Remember the Venetian frigates and others played an active role in allied operations against the British in the Adriatic which make for some interesting actions (Lissa in 1811 being the most famous)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ah yes! The Serene Republic Dave.
    Must look into them.
    Rob.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

That's where most the AoS games at our local club are set these days

Welcome aboard Wim!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Any good background reading on it Dave?
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Welcome to the Anchorage.

Thanks for the interesting information on that fleet.

Landsman
    Belgium

Log Entries
    Name
    Wim

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Remember the Venetian frigates and others played an active role in allied operations against the British in the Adriatic which make for some interesting actions (Lissa in 1811 being the most famous)
    By then, Venetia was back to being under french reign, as a part of the Kingdom of Italy. So those were not Austro-Hungarian Navy ships.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

A belated welcome to you, from Bristol uk

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Alex

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but the Venetian Navy is of particular interest to a few folks I know who have dug into the subject and posted images of the Arsenal as well as plans of many a Venetian vessel, including at least one that was drawn by the Austrians after changing hands. If anyone is interested in seeing them?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

We always are.