Thread: April 11th

Midshipman
    Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Default April 11th

1783 - Congress declares the end of war with Great Britain.
    1900 - The Navy accepted its first submarine, USS Holland (SS 1).

Happy Birthday my brothers and sisters!!!

Name:  USN_-_Submarine_Officer_and_Enlisted.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  335.6 KB

Steve
    hard to make out from the pictures, is that the USS Holland bow on, with a whale each side?

Also doesn't the CSS Hunley count as the first US sub...or is that manifestly politically incorrect? !

The first military submarine was the Turtle (1775), a hand-powered acorn-shaped device designed by the American David Bushnell to accommodate a single person. It was the first verified submarine capable of independent underwater operation and movement, and the first to use screws for propulsion. During the American Revolutionary War, Turtle (operated by Sgt. Ezra Lee, Continental Army) tried and failed to sink the British warship HMS Eagle, flagship of the blockaders in New York harbor on September 7, 1776.

Here is a link about the Turtle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_(submersible)

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Its worth noting that, as pointed out by the director of the Submarine Museum and others, there is no actual evidence that the Turtle ever existed or that an attack as described ever took place. And there are, I was told, some pretty significant technical and operational discrepancies in the accounts.

I thought the Allligator (1862) was the first submarine in the US Navy?

And according to some of my submariner chums the first true "submarine" was the first SSN, USS Nautilus (all others before her being mere "submersibles")

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I believe that for our purposes we can ask Ares to consider a model submarine in its lineup of ships.

Yes it was an American invention too.

Napoleon commissioned the first practical submarine, designed by the American inventor Robert Fulton. Testing of this craft, the Nautilus, was successfully carried out in France in 1800-1801, when Fulton and three mechanics descended to a depth of 25 feet.

Bligh.

Midshipman
    Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

The first commisioned submarine was USS Holland SS-1. Commisioned 12 OCT 1900.
    No others before her were commisioned into the US fleet.
    We celebrate our birthday on April, 11th 1900. When The US Navy accepted the design of it’s first official submarine
    the USS Holland, named after the engineer and designer John Philip Holland
    The dolphins show a starboard angle on the bow view of an "O" class submarine, proceeding on the surface,
    with bow planes rigged for diving, flanked by dolphins in a horizontal position with their heads
    resting on the upper edge of the bow planes

You will find no living American Submariner who would look at a WWII subvet and tell him he was not on a submarine.
    If you know of one let me know and I will fix them.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

If you know of one let me know and I will fix them.
    Try NAVSEA at the Washington Navy Yard :)

Midshipman
    Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Just so happens I am headed down to the Yard in a few months.....look forward to meeting them.....I will look.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Give me a shout if you are there in mid-June. I will be too.

Don't get me wrong, as a naval architect (of both surface warships and submarines) and a constructor they are submarines, and I'm very happy that our respective navies submarine services have been going for over 100 years. That said I can see the argument that it was only with the advent of nuclear power (and latterly with effective AIP systems) that submersible craft became truly free of the surfaced environment, hence true submarine vessels rather than submersibles, craft designed as much for operation on the surface as below it (hullforms are a giveaway). That said, the Type XXI has a special place :D