Thread: Kaiser Rushforth Sails Trays Review Part 1

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Default Kaiser Rushforth Sails Trays Review Part 1

As mentioned in a couple of threads, Kaiser Rushforth have just released specific trays for Sails of Glory in their foam system.
    This will be the first of two looks at the range as it is now, the first part will show the trays for the actual ship models only, I will deal with components shortly , I am waiting for some info from KR is why.

First let me say that I am a big fan of the KR range of cases with foam inserts and use their product for both WGF and WGS and have been waiting eagerly for SGN to be released.
    This is not to say there is anything wrong with other manufactures, but in my personal experience this is the system I prefer.

For those who do not know KR they are a company, one of many now, that supplies a safe storage system for various models, be it GW figures and Tanks to X-Wing, Star Trek Attack Wing, FOW etc etc.
    KR uses a Cardboard case as the outer protection, check out KR demoing these on u-tube if you wish, but I can attest they protect my WGF & WGS kit and I have had no damage except for a few pegs being rolling around.
    Inside this case KR uses soft foam trays, a half Tray (Half of the Cardboard Case) is 190mm by 255mm with a depth of 32mm and a further soft foam bottom protector of approx 5-7mm as extra support.
    A Single case can hold 6 of these half trays. Other game systems may have trays of different depths so you could have more or less trays depending, for us the SGN case will hold a max of 6 trays

KR release has 6 trays and we will look at first, Trays SG 4 and SG 5 and SG6, these hold our important ships.

Tray SG4 This can accommodate the following ships 3 x 3 deck 1st Rates (without base), 2 x 2 deck 3rd Rates and one 6th Rate Sloop

The tray is cut to size and all you do is pull out the inserts

SG4 - Inserts removed

As you can see, due to the size of the case/tray the sloop was the only ship that could be added to the tray once the big ships were provisioned for. If you need a number of trays and excess sloop positions you can trim off to hold ships chits or such or leave the insert in place.

SG4 with the ships inserted

As you can see it is a snug fit, with a little room for movement of the model , but as it is soft foam I believe there will be little movement during transportation. I cannot say for certain as I have not used yet at a show. I know the Three Deckers had a problem with weak Masts, but looking at mine in the case they did not look insecure, but you can either put cotton wool between the mast, or just trim down one of the inserts removed to fit between the masts for extra protection, you will have lots of these available.

The next tray is SG5, this tray accommodated 3 x 2 deck 3rd Rates, 3 x 5th Rates and one Sloop (Any mistake in the rating in the KR advert is likely to be my fault as I gave him the details, the 2nd rating is a mistake though and I will mention it to him)

As we are aware there are two sizes of frigate the 32 and 38/40 gun ships, the standard tray is for the 32 gun Frigate, but there is a small insert at the top of the cutout which can be removed to make the cut out bigger so as to accomodate the larger Frigate

SG5 with ships

Here the bottom row Frigate is one of the larger types and so has the extra insert removed, while the top row is the standard Frigate

This shows a half box in the sails arsenal, when inside the case they stack one on top of each as , like this

With it being soft foam with a soft foam base, is any spar was sticking out of the slot then it would just embed into the soft foam.
    However I could not see any thing sticking out of the trays as shown here.

SG4

SG5

SG 4 with mast protectors for 1st Rates - this will not work though if you rig the ships

SG6 now added same as previous trays but has space for 6 Frigates, both types and 3 Sloops

I have started to rig a couple of my ships using Langtons Ratlines and nylon thread, the cutouts in the foam are enough not to interfere with these lines.
    I have not put any pennants on the masts so I cannot comment on this but I will try soon to do so, I think there will be just enough room if not too wide for the main mast.

So there is the first trays.
    Personally I am happy with the result, I would have liked the base to be with the ship but as we all know the pegs can be loose and I would prefer not to have the base rattling around the slot, just in case :)
    The fact that there will be lots of Sloop slots unused cannot be helped due to the constriction of the tray sizes so as can be seen the maximum ships per tray has been produced.
    In part two I shall show what to do with the mats, logs and ships bases.

If anyone has any questions ask away and I will do my best to answer and if I cant Ill ask KR for clarification.

Link to part two

http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthre...4924#post54924
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 12-05-2015 at 08:09.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nice explanation of the storage system Chris. It looks pretty much like what I envisaged. A pity that the bases were not fitted in with the ships, but otherwise they look very workable.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks for the report and especially the photos!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

I like the fact that rigged ships will fit in!

Able Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Thats nice Chris - pray how many doubloons must one part with to obtain such treasures?
    Never knowingly undergunned

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Some extra pics showing protection for the 1st Rates
    These are cut with scissors from the unused foam inserts discarded

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Since my first review KR have added another Tray SG6 this has space for 6 Frigates and 3 Sloops

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Thanks for the detailed information!
    Think I'll have to get some of those...

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

I like them, Must say would love them if the ships were up-right. Glad to see room for rigging. Thanks for your report.
    Be safe
    Rory

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    I like them, Must say would love them if the ships were up-right. Glad to see room for rigging. Thanks for your report.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Hi Rory, when I started speking to KR we looked at having them stood up, but as the ships are not fixed to the bases it was felt they could move more and more likely to be damaged and due to the height would only have one layer.
    The method chosen was decided as less likely to move , even when rigged. Been using now since Xmas and no damage.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

This I understand. I'm looking at other types of models, eg. Langton's. They mostly would be based at all times. And a little smaller. I think the trays are only good for S.O.G. ships. I do like the idea of the spacers for large and smaller frigates. Hope they sale well and in the numbers to make it worth while. I have some of them for 40k tanks and aircaft. At frist I did not like the cardbroad boxes, but they work very well.
    Be safe
    Rory

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Hi Rory, when I started speking to KR we looked at having them stood up, but as the ships are not fixed to the bases it was felt they could move more and more likely to be damaged and due to the height would only have one layer.
    Interestingly the prototype SOG models I received from Ares came in a foam filled box with the models stood up and they seem to have survived for several years perfectly intact, so that may not have been an issue. And the arrangement looks like it would work fine for other AoS models in other scales too. So perhaps it would have been a solution that had applications wider than SOG. Not that I'm fussed personally as my 1/1200 AOS models use magnetic bases.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It might just be worth while having a look at FiC Pick and pluck cases then Dave.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

The cases were made with an eye to,SoG models only, that said some of the trays designed for the cards may work for other manufacturers, I cant say as I dont have any Im afraid.

Dave with the prototypes did the models stay attached to the bases ok ?
    Most of my current models are not a tight fit at all, so as they were used as the template then maybe they were not correct

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Mine are much the same Chris. The tolerances vary a lot. Some are an interference fit, whilst some seem to be only a running fit.
    I keep toying with the idea of gluing them in place.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Yes, I too have played with the idea of sticking my ships to their bases!