Thread: Prussian Incursion of 1807

Default Prussian Incursion of 1807

Potential scenario?

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Not really -- the Prussians never had a proper deep-water navy; only small coast-defense units (if that). Prussia depended on its allies for naval support. It wasn't until the 1870 unification that the new-found German Empire realized: In order to *be* an Empire, it needed a Navy -- and in order to have a navy, it would have to go up against Britain.

Shortly thereafter, the Germans learned why the British focused so heavily on Naval Power -- it takes years, if not decades, to acquire deep-water experience; and if one does not have it, one is not likely to have time during a war to acquire it. It didn't help that, to borrow a line from _The Matrix_, Britain was like the Agents: "They are guarding all the doors; they are holding all the keys" to access to the oceans (Britain itself blocked the North Sea and the Channel; Gibraltar closed down the Western Med; and after Suez was completed, British holdings in the Middle East and India shut off that route). Thus, in finest Mahanian form, did Britain control the oceans, and thus European military power.

In fact, historically, there have been only two countries with major navies where British positional advantages counted for nothing -- now look at Britain's track-record in wars with those countries.... ;)

It's meant as a joke. Were you able to watch the video? It's working for me but Eric sent me a message that there is error message when he tries to run it.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Working for me. A lot of these 'historical' commercials are popping up recently (and I don't watch TV). The Captain Morgan ones are entertaining, and no doubt, far from accurate.

This is an older commercial I had in another post long before we had many of our current members. It drives me crazy as I start wishing that they really were making a movie! But I fear we won't ever again see anything like Master and Commander and the Hornblower series. The ship in this commercial was the same one used in Master and Commander.

Last edited by Coog; 09-26-2013 at 18:31.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Never saw that one. Thanks!

Nice clip, Bobby.

Anyways, Prussia was on his knees in 1807 - not able to hold the line versus Napoleon.

...and no comment about the (non existing) Prussian Navy in 1807.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

When u first saw this commercial, for about 2 seconds I thought maybe their was another master and comander type movie. Alas is was a rugby commercial. Still in the theme if this thread though.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    ...and no comment about the (non existing) Prussian Navy in 1807.
    Nah -- we'll just talk about Bavaria's Navy.

Oh, wait.... ;)

<- from the guy who has met members of the "Nebraska Navy"...